The HSP Dimension: Expressions of Highly Sensitive People
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How do you define a fully happy healthy HSP?

5 posters

Go down

How do you define a fully happy healthy HSP? Empty How do you define a fully happy healthy HSP?

Post by melodiccolor Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:44 pm

I would like to ask everyone what is your definition of a healthy, happy, fully functioning HSP individual? How do you see that ideal?

Just as I was getting ready to post this, this arrived in my email in perfect synchronicity: http://www.hspnotes.com/2012/12/high-sensitivity-is-not-illness-framing.html

It was observing the same thing that inspired me to ask this question. I'm looking forward to all your answers.
melodiccolor
melodiccolor
Admin

Back to top Go down

How do you define a fully happy healthy HSP? Empty Re: How do you define a fully happy healthy HSP?

Post by wstein Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:09 am

I'm going to sidestep the 'happy' portion of this question.

As to healthy HSP (or anyone really, just that these are harder for HSPs usually):
-should be able to use sensory input and not be used by it. In practical terms this means finding ways to modulate the intensity of the input not unlike for normal sight closing our eyelids or putting on sunglasses when appropriate. An hint of over stimulation is an indication to the contrary (i.e. not healthy).

-should be able to direct or filter input so they can focus on things of interest. This should be an occasional thing, not an all the time thing (over-controlling)

-should realize that sensory input is just that, input. One can make use of it or interpret it in a healthy way. Its also necessary to realize the input is NOT you and does NOT control you; its advisory only.

-needs to have found who they are in order to put context to the input and to have a valid basis for acting on what they perceive.

-needs to realize that not everyone can perceive what they perceive, this includes other HSPs.
wstein
wstein

Back to top Go down

How do you define a fully happy healthy HSP? Empty Re: How do you define a fully happy healthy HSP?

Post by anarkandi Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:47 am

I think, to be a healthy highly sensitive person, you need to say to yourself truthfully that you are happy that you are sensitive, be able to acknowledge how it helps you in your daily life, and all the situations in which it's good for you. Not try to be "less sensitive" or to try to "survive" it as if it is an affliction. No health can be found in not respecting your sensitivity, because it'll hurt you.
anarkandi
anarkandi

Back to top Go down

Post by tezorian Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:16 am

I define such a person as a fully happy human. in essence i don't think there is a difference, whether or not you're hsp or not.
tezorian
tezorian
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by melodiccolor Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:02 am

tezorian wrote:I define such a person as a fully happy human. in essence i don't think there is a difference, whether or not you're hsp or not.
Of course. So how do you define a fully happy healthy human?
melodiccolor
melodiccolor
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by tezorian Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:08 am

Someone who does what he/she wants to do and is happy with having everything he/she needs.
tezorian
tezorian
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Riana Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:59 pm

I do think that hsp's might have the extra "burden" of trying to value their sensitivity and to learn to see it as a gift in a extroverted, rather superficial culture that views sensitivity as weakness. So maybe it's not exactly the same?

So a fully happy healthy hsp would be someone who has accepted this trait and knows how to value it. He/she would also have the confidence to stand up for his/her specific needs (for example, asking to turn the music down a little even if he/she is the only one who's bothered by it). And of course, she/he would have the self-knowledge to know what her/his needs are in the first place. The hsp would live by his/her own standards and not let society define what he/she should consider pleasant and "fun". In general, I think self-esteem, self-love, introspection, healing of the past, growing in confidence and knowing how to express yourself and stand up for yourself are key factors to being an happy and healthy individual.
Riana
Riana

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down