The HSP Dimension: Expressions of Highly Sensitive People
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Too much fun and emotional overwhelm

3 posters

Go down

Too much fun and emotional overwhelm  Empty Too much fun and emotional overwhelm

Post by Cat Sat Jul 16, 2016 6:32 pm

Just curious if anyone else experiences this and how they handle it,

I have moments where I get *so* excited and happy about things that I almost feel like I'm naturally drunk, and I have to lock myself in my room alone / try to calm down by reading a book and listening to some chill music in order to feel like I have a distinct "self" again.
I'm thinking this is just basic emotion overwhelm in the same way a child will get too excited and need to run around a classroom to express it.
It almost makes me avoidant of "fun" activities, because I really dislike the feeling of "losing myself" or "losing control" in that way, and I'm not sure how to keep it at a non-overwhelming level.
Can anybody else relate to this?

Cat
Cat

Back to top Go down

Too much fun and emotional overwhelm  Empty Re: Too much fun and emotional overwhelm

Post by melodiccolor Sat Jul 16, 2016 7:58 pm

What I find key here is "loosing control" and the need to keep tight control over yourself.

I like that high feeling and flowing with it; I'm not much concerned with image and control, trusting my inner self. I've never used drugs nor had a hangover because I could get high so easily from life itself.

This is not the same thing as getting agitated, that would be no fun at all; that's the point of overwhelm. Fortunately I've never ended in that space having fun.

In the end, I guess you just need to take a leap of faith and trust yourself and let go and flow with the emotions.
melodiccolor
melodiccolor
Admin

Back to top Go down

Too much fun and emotional overwhelm  Empty Re: Too much fun and emotional overwhelm

Post by Cat Sat Jul 16, 2016 8:07 pm

Yeah, I'm not so much concerned with how they appear externally, as much as the feeling of my inner self kinda floating away in multiple directions. Like you said, it almost feels like a "natural high" to the point where it gets uncomfortable..like floating off to another galaxy.

Guess it is a lesson in sitting with scary/uncomfortable emotions in that sense

Glad someone else can relate though xD
Cat
Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by melodiccolor Sat Jul 16, 2016 8:45 pm

Emotions can be scary/uncomfortable when you don't trust them or know them. Sitting with them or allowing them is a great way to get past that until they're just another feeling, one of the many treasures to experience in your emotional treasure chest.
melodiccolor
melodiccolor
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Cat Sat Jul 16, 2016 8:52 pm

I love the idea of an "emotional treasure chest"!
Cat
Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by Cat Sat Jul 16, 2016 11:50 pm

What are your thoughts on the ideas of "acting out" versus "letting your emotions flow/trusting your emotions"?

Sometimes I think these are one and the same, just acceptable or unacceptable depending on the context of the moment,
but not sure.
Cat
Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by melodiccolor Sun Jul 17, 2016 3:25 pm

Oh good question. Intuitively, it seems like acting out is acting in the moment with emotions connected to the past, not the present. It's a kind of learned automatic response.

When you flow in the present, you are fully there and responding to what is happening right now regardless of the past.

Flowing in general however does include both learned responses and current ones; it can sometimes be a life time journey to learn which is which and let go of what doesn't serve the present that is from the past.

The goal is to be connected to what is happening now as free from learned conditioned responses as possible. This is truly flowing freely.
melodiccolor
melodiccolor
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Cat Sun Jul 17, 2016 6:40 pm

melodiccolor wrote:Oh good question.  Intuitively, it seems like acting out is acting in the moment with emotions connected to the past, not the present.  It's a kind of learned automatic response.

When you flow in the present, you are fully there and responding to what is happening right now regardless of the past.

Flowing in general however does include both learned responses and current ones;  it can sometimes be a life time journey to learn which is which and let go of what doesn't serve the present that is from the past.

The goal is to be connected to what is happening now as free from learned conditioned responses as possible.  This is truly flowing freely.

Really love this explanation. Guess this also shows why "flow" activities are so pleasurable - they're truly "being in the moment" fully.
Cat
Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by Zen Tue Jul 19, 2016 3:59 pm

Cat wrote:
melodiccolor wrote:Oh good question.  Intuitively, it seems like acting out is acting in the moment with emotions connected to the past, not the present.  It's a kind of learned automatic response.

Flowing in general however does include both learned responses and current ones;  it can sometimes be a life time journey to learn which is which and let go of what doesn't serve the present that is from the past.

The goal is to be connected to what is happening now as free from learned conditioned responses as possible.  This is truly flowing freely.

Really love this explanation. Guess this also shows why "flow" activities are so pleasurable - they're truly "being in the moment" fully.
Like being a kid again!
Zen
Zen

Back to top Go down

Post by melodiccolor Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:54 pm

Maybe a thread should be started entitled "lessons on being a kid", lol.

Yep, it's basically returning to being a kid.
melodiccolor
melodiccolor
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Zen Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:40 pm

melodiccolor wrote:Maybe a thread should be started entitled "lessons on being a kid", lol.  

Yep, it's basically returning to being a kid.

Could be fun!
Zen
Zen

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum