The HSP Dimension: Expressions of Highly Sensitive People
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The CAR thread!

+3
Grasshopper
RBM
Oneiros
7 posters

Go down

The CAR thread! Empty The CAR thread!

Post by Oneiros Sun Nov 15, 2009 11:50 am

Ok, for those car enthusiasts among us, post up pics/info/discussion about yours!

Here's my baby... A 1978 Mazda RX7 convertible, one of 25 in Australia. Cool ATM I'm installing a sound system (making a shelf where the back seat used to be for some 6x9s and an amp), along with a few carby/intake mods.

The CAR thread! 12938_1269596138592_1190491503_817164_5721227_n

The CAR thread! 12938_1269594778558_1190491503_817161_930326_n

The CAR thread! 12938_1269596178593_1190491503_817165_1684256_n

The CAR thread! 12938_1269594858560_1190491503_817163_8122235_n

I love driving it, but the fumes get a bit rough... after about an hour I start to feel the effects. Maybe an exhaust *with* a cat would help drunken
Oneiros
Oneiros

Back to top Go down

The CAR thread! Empty Re: The CAR thread!

Post by RBM Sun Nov 15, 2009 1:48 pm

Out of curiosity how much (US$) do you pay for gas, and how much would it take for you to park the RX7 for another mode of transportation ?
RBM
RBM

Back to top Go down

Post by Grasshopper Sun Nov 15, 2009 3:05 pm

Good thread! My sister has a 1957 Corvette. I'll get some pix to post.
Grasshopper
Grasshopper

https://sfba.social/@Grasshopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Oneiros Mon Nov 16, 2009 8:12 am

RBM wrote:Out of curiosity how much (US$) do you pay for gas, and how much would it take for you to park the RX7 for another mode of transportation ?

It's about $1.40AU per litre for good quality unleaded (no ethanol), and I don't quite understand the second question... are you having a go at the bad emissions it creates? Or asking how much would I sell it for? *confused*
Oneiros
Oneiros

Back to top Go down

Post by RBM Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:54 am

Oneiros wrote:
RBM wrote:Out of curiosity how much (US$) do you pay for gas, and how much would it take for you to park the RX7 for another mode of transportation ?

It's about $1.40AU per litre for good quality unleaded (no ethanol), and I don't quite understand the second question... are you having a go at the bad emissions it creates? Or asking how much would I sell it for? *confused*

I was addressing the personal car-centric lifestyle choices - poorly, in my brevity, it seems. Don't worry about the question, your reply indicating confusion is enough of an answer for me :-)
RBM
RBM

Back to top Go down

Post by jaded Mon Nov 16, 2009 6:26 pm

Lovely car.
jaded
jaded

Back to top Go down

Post by Oneiros Fri Nov 20, 2009 10:21 am

RBM wrote:
Oneiros wrote:

I was addressing the personal car-centric lifestyle choices - poorly, in my brevity, it seems. Don't worry about the question, your reply indicating confusion is enough of an answer for me :-)

lol now I'm even more confused.... but as long as you're happy, I won't pursue it Razz
Oneiros
Oneiros

Back to top Go down

Post by melodiccolor Fri Nov 20, 2009 3:37 pm

RBM, a bit of history. Oneiros had been without a car for some time so this is a big deal to him. Oneiros, I also get the impression that public transit where you are is fair at best.

Oneiros, RBM was suggesting that car use is a wasteful use of resources and other means of transit are better options. Given your recent experiences, I can see why you just wouldn't see that.
melodiccolor
melodiccolor
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RBM Fri Nov 20, 2009 5:56 pm

melodiccolor wrote:RBM, a bit of history. Oneiros had been without a car for some time so this is a big deal to him. Oneiros, I also get the impression that public transit where you are is fair at best.

Oneiros, RBM was suggesting that car use is a wasteful use of resources and other means of transit are better options. Given your recent experiences, I can see why you just wouldn't see that.

Oneiros and I probably share a similar environment when it comes to mobility - you get a car, or else. All the 'or else's' are very inconvenient thus have higher individual costs, like your time.

'Wasteful' doesn't fit my concerns. I started driving in 1971 and I think a US gallon of gas was 35 cents. That price is history. Consumers have adopted to higher prices, but there seems to be a limit as to how high prices can go before it punches the economy in the nose.

Oneiros's reply of confusion is that of a majority of the developed nations populations ( and soon a whole bunch of Chinese ) and it exemplifies the mental box of a mindset.

There are challenges ahead in this area within 5 years.
RBM
RBM

Back to top Go down

Post by Nucky Fri Nov 20, 2009 6:15 pm

I don't drive anything very interesting (a '99 Dodge Neon that's on its last legs,) but I am definitely a car nut!

There are some photos of my dad's '55 Chevy in Part 5 of the article on the Woodward Dream Cruise in this thread. It was written by my dad.

http://funhsps.niceboard.org/wonderful-original-works-f14/woodward-dream-cruise-t1339.htm
Nucky
Nucky
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by melodiccolor Fri Nov 20, 2009 6:31 pm

RBM wrote:
melodiccolor wrote:RBM, a bit of history. Oneiros had been without a car for some time so this is a big deal to him. Oneiros, I also get the impression that public transit where you are is fair at best.

Oneiros and I probably share a similar environment when it comes to mobility - you get a car, or else. All the 'or else's' are very inconvenient thus have higher individual costs, like your time.

'Wasteful' doesn't fit my concerns. I started driving in 1971 and I think a US gallon of gas was 35 cents. That price is history. Consumers have adopted to higher prices, but there seems to be a limit as to how high prices can go before it punches the economy in the nose.

Oneiros's reply of confusion is that of a majority of the developed nations populations ( and soon a whole bunch of Chinese ) and it exemplifies the mental box of a mindset.

There are challenges ahead in this area within 5 years.

Ah; the economics of scarcity.
melodiccolor
melodiccolor
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RBM Fri Nov 20, 2009 7:05 pm

melodiccolor wrote:Ah; the economics of scarcity.

Wellll, not JUST economics ... but a Belief of scarcity !!!!

Warning ! Warning Will Robinson ! Synchronicity Ahead !
I'm listening to a Tom
Campbell interview
and he's talking about people and belief systems - and those people that are absolutely sure they have no belief system. Hehe.

The problem isn't the scarcity of fossil fuels and all physical matter in this virtual reality - the problem is the individuals that won't give up their belief systems. Think of the lemmings-over-the nearest-cliff-metaphor.

As a result I'm keeping my eye out for just the right rock to crawl under ;-)
RBM
RBM

Back to top Go down

Post by adain Fri Nov 20, 2009 10:45 pm

RBM,
Not being too farmilar with Brisbane's public transport system (that's where you are from, onerious, eh?) but if it's any thing like Sydney's public transport system, I can well understand the desire for a more reliable means of getting around. You can wax lyrical about believe systems, and there is a push to make roads more accessable to cyclists etc, etc, but the fact of the matter is local beaurocrats sit on thier asses pushing paper while coming up with half arsed solutions. There's a lot of talk but nothing is done, mean while the public transport is barely adequate for the growth of sydney, whole sections of the city are negelected transport wise, even though there is a huge push to develop bus routes and light rail to those areas. I truly believe at least in Sydney people would use their cars less if there were decent alternatives. Believe me waiting three hours for a train to come in the weekend isn't fun. Especially when you know if you had a car you'd have been there and back already
adain
adain

Back to top Go down

Post by Oneiros Sat Nov 21, 2009 1:57 am

lol oh ok, now i understand. I actually couldn't grasp the wording, I'm not the most intelligent when it comes to reading. Embarassed

Yeah I've been using public transport for a long time, haven't had a car in about 5 years. It's been a real hassle, and has been contributing to my anxiety quite a lot more than I'd realised. Not to mention the amount of time it takes to get anywhere... Having a car makes my life a lot easier, so there's no chance I'm going back to public transport. Smile

I will concede that this particular car is a very poor choice in terms of emissions, because it's a rotary, has the factory emissions control stuff removed, and has no catalytic converter. I regularly come home from a 1hr drive slightly high on fumes. I really need to get something done about this soon, because it's getting quite unhealthy.

And yeah, even Brisbane's public transport system comes up ok in comparison with Sydney's... that one is shocking.

Last edited by Oneiros on Sat Nov 21, 2009 2:01 am; edited 2 times in total
Oneiros
Oneiros

Back to top Go down

Post by RBM Sat Nov 21, 2009 10:45 am

@ adain
Lincoln has bike lanes downtown, only, and paths in some places elsewhere in town that are repurposed train right-of-ways. Your train wait goes in my 'or else' category. For example, I just started a temp job that starts at 5:00 AM - the bus doesn't even run then. In general, infrastructure here is very similar to what you describe in Sydney.

@ Oneiros
Good Luck on getting those health related mechanical systems in order.
RBM
RBM

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down