The HSP Dimension: Expressions of Highly Sensitive People
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What percentage of people in your past were HSP?

5 posters

Go down

What percentage of people in your past were HSP? Empty What percentage of people in your past were HSP?

Post by Nucky Fri Feb 27, 2009 2:37 am

According to Dr. Aron, about 20% of all people are HSP. Does this measure up to your experience?

For me, a couple of people come to mind, but not nearly 20% of all people I've met. The place that had by far the highest concentration of HSPs was at a music school where I used to work.
Nucky
Nucky
Admin

Back to top Go down

What percentage of people in your past were HSP? Empty Re: What percentage of people in your past were HSP?

Post by Bluedream Fri Feb 27, 2009 6:50 am

A music school does not suprise me at all...as art and music would be the highest concentration. No mystery as we gravitate naturally towards these places and things like lil moths to a flame!
I, unfortunately, was not blessed with H.S.P.s around me early on in life....other than my dear Grandma and Father. School...work...fugitaboudit!
It is no wonder I loved being alone....just to keep the confusion at bay.
I have to say i am most comfortable now! Today is the greatest! Yes!
Tomorrow? Mine to grasp if I wish!
t.c...b.d.
Bluedream
Bluedream

Back to top Go down

What percentage of people in your past were HSP? Empty Re: What percentage of people in your past were HSP?

Post by Rivershine Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:36 am

Perhaps Nucky you came in contact with a lot more HSPs than you realize. I would think that in the effort to be like everyone else and to shape up, there are lots of hsps who push themselves to not 'act' like sensitives. I was one of those. At least in public. It's kind of like guys who buy into the macho touch guy thing, try to assume that role, but honestly deep down inside, they are big teddy bears who feel deeply, cry, and secretly like things that don't involve machine guns and helicopters. Many people wear masks in public, sensitive or not, which hides their true self. It is when you really get to know a person that some of that strips away.
Rivershine
Rivershine

Back to top Go down

Post by melodiccolor Fri Feb 27, 2009 5:01 pm

Maybe people try to blend in, and many do indeed do a good job. But there are certain things we can't hide, like our natural affect; how we express ourselves in all ways nonlingual. After meeting several hsp's in person, I've begun to recognise what those traits are. Looking back through my life, I think I can spot which people I interacted with who were hsp, or had at least a good likelihood of being so.

I went to a high school of 2500 students and a large teaching staff, many of whom I knew well. Of all of those, one I knew and was a freind with may have been hsp. Hard to say. In college, I was involved in a number of things and met many people, made quite a few friends; a large percentage of them introverts. I was involved with things of course that would attract hsps. I knew maybe over 1000 people and was at least casual friends with a few dozen. Of all of those, I think 2 were definately hsp. Maybe another 10 might have been. In my adult life, I met a few more I'm fairly sure were hsp, out of hundreds. All of this was before I knew about hsp.

So, over the course of many years, I have gotten to know thousands and maybe 20 or less were probably hsp. Assuming I did miss some who hid really well, it still is a very small number. Hardly 20%. I've met far more since learning about hsp and coming to the hsp boards and meetups of course.

Dr. Aron's assumption of 20% is an educated guess at best, and my experiences don't back that up.
melodiccolor
melodiccolor
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Luna Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:17 pm

Well I think that I did encounter several HSPs throughout my life but had no idea at the time.
I believe that my grandfather, grandmother and father are HSP to varying degrees. I could also count a few kids I was friends with in elementary school as being like me. In high school the number was very little but again I would say there were one or two people who I know for sure were. In college there was a higher percentage. A dear close friend introduced me to HSP in my twenties but again at the time I had no idea. I would say probably about 15-20 people as well.
The places where I have felt I encountered the highest number of HSPs were when attending meditation retreats or courses.
Luna
Luna

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down