The HSP Dimension: Expressions of Highly Sensitive People
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New years resolutions

+7
Safari
Nucky
SimplyNan
Bluedream
BlueTopaz
melodiccolor
EM
11 posters

Go down

New years resolutions Empty New years resolutions

Post by EM Mon Dec 29, 2008 4:43 pm

Anyone making any new years resolutions? I quit making them a long time ago because I could never stick with them, but how about the rest of you?
EM
EM

Back to top Go down

New years resolutions Empty Re: New years resolutions

Post by melodiccolor Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:19 pm

I don't and never have. I just try to live the best I can.
melodiccolor
melodiccolor
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueTopaz Mon Dec 29, 2008 7:07 pm

Hmmm, I'm going to do a detox this year (not really a resolution-- I don't particularly like them either, I just try to be good all year)

Anyone have any suggestions (about detoxing--)? Maybe in a PM so I don't derail the thread.
Thanks Very Happy
BlueTopaz
BlueTopaz

Back to top Go down

Post by melodiccolor Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:53 pm

BlueTopaz wrote:Hmmm, I'm going to do a detox this year (not really a resolution-- I don't particularly like them either, I just try to be good all year)

Anyone have any suggestions (about detoxing--)? Maybe in a PM so I don't derail the thread.
Thanks Very Happy

You could always start a thread on detoxing. I'm sure there are many here who would be interested and have a lot of information to share.
melodiccolor
melodiccolor
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluedream Mon Dec 29, 2008 10:13 pm

I don't feel I've ever understood the concept of resolutions.
Lent also. What the heck is that...give up something you really enjoy...then go back after 6 weeks and get into it again! That whole concept of "penance" seems strange to me. That kind of guilt trip is strange.
The thing is...if you're hurting yourself and you're conscious of it....why put a date on quitting?
Just my thoughts...
b.d.
Bluedream
Bluedream

Back to top Go down

Post by SimplyNan Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:59 pm

I don't do new year's resolutions either. Mostly for the same reasons as Dan.
SimplyNan
SimplyNan

Back to top Go down

Post by Nucky Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:41 am

I think that New Years resolutions are pretentious BS. If I see something that needs changing, I change it. If I don't, I don't change anything.
Nucky
Nucky
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Safari Wed Dec 31, 2008 1:05 am

I wouldn't assume they're pretentious. I would say that a lot of people see a genuine opportunity for a fresh start, as that is what a new year symbolises. The fact that they often don't end up sticking to them is beside the point. It's all about the psychology.
Safari
Safari

Back to top Go down

Post by TheStargazer Wed Dec 31, 2008 1:46 am

Safari wrote:I wouldn't assume they're pretentious. I would say that a lot of people see a genuine opportunity for a fresh start, as that is what a new year symbolises.

I agree with this statement. There can a be a freshness that comes with a new year, which tends to prompt thoughts of change and improvement. I think resolutions are less about waiting until the new year to implement changes and more about the tendency for newness to bring forward inspiration.

There are changes possible for me this coming year. My resolution is to not let my fears and temporary discomfort stop me from making a better life for myself.
TheStargazer
TheStargazer

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueEyes Wed Dec 31, 2008 4:29 am

TheStargazer wrote:There are changes possible for me this coming year. My resolution is to not let my fears and temporary discomfort stop me from making a better life for myself.
SG... that is a great resolution... do you mind if I adopt it for myself as well?
BlueEyes
BlueEyes

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluedream Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:25 am

TheStargazer wrote:
Safari wrote:I wouldn't assume they're pretentious. I would say that a lot of people see a genuine opportunity for a fresh start, as that is what a new year symbolises.

I agree with this statement. There can a be a freshness that comes with a new year, which tends to prompt thoughts of change and improvement. I think resolutions are less about waiting until the new year to implement changes and more about the tendency for newness to bring forward inspiration.

There are changes possible for me this coming year. My resolution is to not let my fears and temporary discomfort stop me from making a better life for myself.

That's nice S.G....and I wish you positive hope for all of your endeavors...now and tomorrow!

I was reading and I did not want to come off as some crabby non hoping kind of ol guy with my thoughts...as i believe in possitivity and hope for ANYTHING in our futures...regardless of "year".
I guess if someone wishes to use "that point" for a stepping stone...in that respect the "concept" makes sense to me. Change can be exciting...I know!
Whichever...Happy new year!...er..."trees....er...resolution day...hour...er...something"...[ha!] Wink Hmmm...."Happy Now Year"?....hmmm...?
d.
Bluedream
Bluedream

Back to top Go down

Post by WissyWig Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:32 am

Hmmm...."Happy Now Year"?....hmmm...?

chuckle thumbsup
WissyWig
WissyWig

http://www.myspace.com/designs-by-indigolden

Back to top Go down

Post by TheStargazer Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:07 pm

BlueEyes wrote:
TheStargazer wrote:There are changes possible for me this coming year. My resolution is to not let my fears and temporary discomfort stop me from making a better life for myself.
SG... that is a great resolution... do you mind if I adopt it for myself as well?

Go for it! Smile
TheStargazer
TheStargazer

Back to top Go down

Post by melodiccolor Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:36 pm

Bluedream wrote:
TheStargazer wrote:

That's nice S.G....and I wish you positive hope for all of your endeavors...now and tomorrow!

I was reading and I did not want to come off as some crabby non hoping kind of ol guy with my thoughts...as i believe in possitivity and hope for ANYTHING in our futures...regardless of "year".
I guess if someone wishes to use "that point" for a stepping stone...in that respect the "concept" makes sense to me. Change can be exciting...I know!
Whichever...Happy new year!...er..."trees....er...resolution day...hour...er...something"...[ha!] Wink Hmmm...."Happy Now Year"?....hmmm...?
d.

HAPPY NEW YEAR to everyone! mrgreen

HAPPY PRESENT. whee!

AND A JOYFUL JOURNEY OF LIFE! beatingheart

There, that ought to cover it. New years resolutions 298310
melodiccolor
melodiccolor
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by SimplyNan Wed Dec 31, 2008 8:07 pm

This popped up in my email today and it just seems to fit right in with this topic.

New Year's Resolutions: The Two Lists
A Message from DailyOM Co-Founder Scott Blum

I was fortunate to spend time with an enigmatic man named Robert during a very special period of my life. Robert taught me many things during our days together, and this time of year reminds me of one particular interaction we had.

"Now that you are becoming more aware," Robert said, "you need to begin to set goals for yourself so you don't lose the momentum you have built."

"Like New Year's resolutions?" I asked.

"That's an interesting idea," he smirked. "Let's do that."

By then I was used to his cryptic responses, so I knew something was up because of the way his eyes sparkled as he let out an impish laugh.

"Tonight's assignment is to make two lists," Robert continued. "The first is a list of all the New Year's resolutions you WANT to keep, and the second is a list of all the New Year's resolutions you WILL keep. Write the WANT List first, and when you have exhausted all of your ideas, then write the second list on another sheet of paper."

That night I went home and spent several hours working on the two lists. The WANT List felt overwhelming at first, but after a while I got into writing all the things I had always wanted to do if the burdens of life hadn't gotten in the way. After nearly an hour, the list swelled to fill the entire page and contained nearly all of my ideas of an ideal life. The second list was much easier, and I was able to quickly commit ten practical resolutions that I felt would be both realistic and helpful.

The next day, I met Robert in front of the local food Co-op, where we seemed to have most of our enlightening conversations. "Tell me about your two lists," Robert said as the familiar smirk crept onto his face.

"The first list contains all the things I SHOULD do if I completely changed my life to be the person I always wanted to be. And the second list contains all the things I COULD do by accepting my current life, and taking realistic steps towards the life I want to lead."

"Let me see the second list," he said.

I handed him the second list, and without even looking at it, he ripped the paper into tiny pieces and threw it in the nearby garbage can. His disregard for the effort I had put into the list annoyed me at first, but after I calmed down I began to think about the first list in a different light. In my heart, I knew the second list was a cop out, and the first list was the only one that really mattered.

"And now, the first list." Robert bowed his head and held out both of his hands.

I purposefully handed him the first list and held his gaze for several seconds, waiting for him to begin reading the page. After an unusually long silence, he began to crumple the paper into a ball and once again tossed it into the can without looking at it.

"What did you do that for?!" I couldn't hide my anger any longer.

Robert began to speak in a quiet and assured voice. "What you SHOULD or COULD do with your life no longer matters. The only thing that matters, from this day forward, is what you MUST do."

He then drew a folded piece of paper from his back pocket and handed it to me.

I opened it carefully, and found a single word floating in the middle of the white page:

"Love."
SimplyNan
SimplyNan

Back to top Go down

Post by mischifus Thu Jan 08, 2009 3:12 pm

No resolutions here...I'm perfect, you see so any change would in fact be a detraction from the gloriousness that is me Extra Happy
mischifus
mischifus

Back to top Go down

Post by melodiccolor Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:36 pm

lol!
melodiccolor
melodiccolor
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by WissyWig Fri Jan 09, 2009 4:23 pm

mischifus wrote:No resolutions here...I'm perfect, you see so any change would in fact be a detraction from the gloriousness that is me Extra Happy

Damn straight, girl. thumbsup
WissyWig
WissyWig

http://www.myspace.com/designs-by-indigolden

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down