The HSP Dimension: Expressions of Highly Sensitive People
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Should pseudonyms be used in the workplace as well as the internet?

+2
melodiccolor
Nucky
6 posters

Go down

Should pseudonyms be used in the workplace as well as the internet? Empty Should pseudonyms be used in the workplace as well as the internet?

Post by Nucky Thu Nov 27, 2008 1:00 am

No one would even think of revealing their real full name on a forum full of strangers. Obviously an employer would need to know your full name, but wouldn't it make sense to use a pseudonym around co-workers whenever possible? Were you ever worried about strangers knowing your full name when starting a new job?
Nucky
Nucky
Admin

Back to top Go down

Should pseudonyms be used in the workplace as well as the internet? Empty Re: Should pseudonyms be used in the workplace as well as the internet?

Post by melodiccolor Thu Nov 27, 2008 1:07 am

No, and here's why. On the internet, your potential for your name falling into the wrong hands where damage can be done is far greater than in a business setting.

Once your personal data is on a forum or socializing site, there is the potential for the whole internet to see it via spy bots. Trouble makers do seem to find forums too.

There is also the implicatation that when you take a job, your employer is honest and legally bound to safegaurd your personal information. There are no such safeguards with the internet.
melodiccolor
melodiccolor
Admin

Back to top Go down

Should pseudonyms be used in the workplace as well as the internet? Empty Re: Should pseudonyms be used in the workplace as well as the internet?

Post by WissyWig Thu Nov 27, 2008 9:44 am

At this point in my life, Nucky, that sounds like a damn good idea.

I wish I were kidding...
WissyWig
WissyWig

http://www.myspace.com/designs-by-indigolden

Back to top Go down

Post by StrawberryLife Fri Nov 28, 2008 5:19 pm

Hm, usually in a RL setting, you know where to get names & addresses of those people too...

It probably depends on the job setting though...
Many eg teachers I know are not listed in the phonebooks... for known reasons.. cause kids or parents could well, try to influence or get back for a bad (albeit honest) grade or such.. some I know had problems, even though they were really good teachers...

Some people eg writers write under pseudonym... I think this is a legitimate & century-long practice.. & some writers online advise new writers to set up shop as a biz & have a PO BOX 'just in case'...

If you worked in a place where you wouldn't be comfortable revealing your real address & real name, pseudonyms could be a good idea.. But then would you really want to work there? - Also, it might be safer with everyone having real names - at least it's sort of expected your co-workers have real names too..
It's not so hard to change a name anyway, at least in our country... & you can do it for any reason..
StrawberryLife
StrawberryLife

Back to top Go down

Post by WissyWig Fri Nov 28, 2008 6:22 pm

My family's number was always unlisted when I was growing up. My parents were both teachers, and phony calls and pranks were common even then. And that was 30 years ago, long before the internet age. Nowadays I can't imagine...
WissyWig
WissyWig

http://www.myspace.com/designs-by-indigolden

Back to top Go down

Post by Justin Passing Sat Nov 29, 2008 1:36 am

Ahhh - the sweet smell of justifiable paranoia. What a lovely society we live in.
Justin Passing
Justin Passing
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by StrawberryLife Sat Nov 29, 2008 11:28 am

Ha ha.. maybe this thread better be put in the 'super-secret' forum? Smile
StrawberryLife
StrawberryLife

Back to top Go down

Post by SimplyNan Sat Nov 29, 2008 1:44 pm

You know, from a more esoteric/spiritual aspect, we are really not who we believe we are anyway, and in a sense this includes our names, so what the heck, we can be anyone we want. Just think, we could not call people by their given names, we could just make up a name. Of course they may not realize we are talking with them but, given that the majority of people (see other posting on this particular forum) are dumbed down considerably and can't converse anyway, what difference would it make? Oh, well, I guess we are in the physical world so maybe we do need names? And all the other trappings that come with them? Just my brain making rumblings here.
SimplyNan
SimplyNan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down