The HSP Dimension: Expressions of Highly Sensitive People
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

On Having an Invisible yet Definitive Part of Yourself

2 posters

Go down

On Having an Invisible yet Definitive Part of Yourself Empty On Having an Invisible yet Definitive Part of Yourself

Post by melodiccolor Fri Dec 05, 2014 9:22 pm

http://www.hsperson.com/invisible-yet-definitive-part-of-yourself/#comment-838
From Elain Aron's newsletter and my reply:

On Having an Invisible yet Definitive Part of Yourself

December 3, 2014 by Elaine Leave a Comment

Have you ever felt invisible as an HSP? Of course you have. You are.

I have sometimes said that high sensitivity affects all aspects of life, social and otherwise, as much as one’s gender affects one’s life, but gender is visible and sensitivity is invisible. Other examples of fairly permanent characteristics that are largely invisible are high I.Q., being wealthy, being color blind, or having a prosthetic limb or breast reconstruction. These can give the people possessing the invisible characteristic the feeling that they carry a secret that eventually must be disclosed to intimates, but when? And what about the reaction?

Of course now and then we who are highly sensitive ourselves can tell when someone else is. However, people who are not highly sensitive have often asked me, “So how do I know if someone is highly sensitive?” They are finding us to be invisible.

I find that difficult to answer, since we really are not visible in the ordinary sense; but I try because I guess I do not want us to be so totally invisible any longer, at least to those who are interested in finding us. So I say that as you get to know someone better and better, the signs are clear. Highly sensitive people are typically good listeners, need more down time, are bothered by noisy or crowded places, may want to do novel things all day (they can be high sensation seekers) but then want to go rest in the evening, notice things that others miss, cry easily, are upset more than others by injustices, feel more joy and compassion, are conscientious and loyal, fussy too, tolerate caffeine poorly, feel pain more, are slow to make decisions, and see the larger consequences of plans and actions. None of this can be seen right on the surface, but it does not take long to find these qualities if you are looking.

Often, at least in the past, we have preferred to be invisible. Many parents have asked me if they should tell their highly sensitive child or his or her teachers or relatives that this child is highly sensitive. Others ask me if they should tell the person they are dating or even engaged to about their trait. Some people have read The Highly Sensitive Person with a brown paper bag book cover so that no one would know. Clearly we have felt we needed to be invisible.

Our invisibility may have some good evolutionary reasons. If highly sensitive animals, including humans, were always the ones to spot the good stuff, such as the most nutritious food, our going off to enjoy our cache required that we be invisible in the sense that the others did not notice us leaving. A mating strategy for sensitive males in some species is to mate with the choicest female while the other males are off fighting or recovering from fighting. That works better if the tough guys have hardly noticed you. Sensitive animals may generally feed in more hidden places, yielding the best dining spots to the pushy ones in order to avoid a fight and possible injury. However, during a food shortage these sensitive animals are the only ones who know the hidden spots where food can still be found. At those times it’s best to be invisible as you sneak off to eat.

Or there’s my favorite. We often know shortcuts to get around traffic jams, but those are not short cuts if everyone knows them. If your car had a red flag on it, signaling HSP Driver, you would have every car following you as soon as you made a turn off the main highway. In short, if all HSPs were taller, shorter, fatter, thinner, or had redder hair than others—or had any other sign of our trait—it would be less of an advantage.

Now, however, using all sorts of media, including the documentary under production that is appropriately titled Sensitive: The Untold Story, and in our day-to-day lives as well, we HSPs are choosing to tell the non-sensitive 80% of the world’s population that we exist, so that they actually can now follow our lead to the better things in life that we have noticed and they have not so far. The problem is that they cannot find us unless we continue telling them that we exist and who we are. We still have the choice, however, as to when and where to say we are highly sensitive and what good stuff we will tell about, and what we will keep our little secret!

All of those are good points. I have noticed observing a feral cat colony for years that certain cats use the strategies described above and a few males always were adverse to fighting, preferring to mind the kittens, attempting to care for injured cats and cuddle the females who were not in heat. When it came time to mate, often especially befriended females would choose their peaceful affectionate nurturing friend over others.

Of course as a highly social species we’d also have other reasons for choosing visibility and invisibility. It’s the line between two conflicting desires, that of being understood and the fear of being misunderstood after we have revealed all, and thus opening ourselves to rejection and ridicule. This is always the risk one chooses with vulnerability; is the risk worth the gain. In each circumstance we must decide anew. For myself in most situations, the answer is most assuredly yes, but not quite in all. I have gained so much choosing to be more visible. Both sides of this are of course felt quite intensely for us all as HSP.
melodiccolor
melodiccolor
Admin

Back to top Go down

On Having an Invisible yet Definitive Part of Yourself Empty Re: On Having an Invisible yet Definitive Part of Yourself

Post by RBM Sat Dec 06, 2014 5:43 pm

I've never thought about it till I read the justification by Tom Campbell, but <fear> in the general sense is opposite of <love>, not hate as is the common notion.

The HSP status, to me, ought to be just like any other external attribute of internal psychological preference, to Other. The fact that it isn't is a testimony as to how far Other has to spiritually grow up to accept HSP's as they are.
RBM
RBM

Back to top Go down