The HSP Dimension: Expressions of Highly Sensitive People
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A 25 Year Old Web

3 posters

Go down

A 25 Year Old Web Empty A 25 Year Old Web

Post by melodiccolor Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:14 pm

As the Web Turns 25, Its Creator Talks About Its Future (link)

What impact have you noticed the web having on society in general, and you in particular?
melodiccolor
melodiccolor
Admin

Back to top Go down

A 25 Year Old Web Empty Re: A 25 Year Old Web

Post by melodiccolor Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:00 pm

What's currently being done and what needs to be done to insure the future of the web: Inventor of the Web Is Right: We Need an Internet Bill of Rights (link)
melodiccolor
melodiccolor
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ChiiruChan Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:32 pm

Twenty Five years old? I feel ancient. I remember when I got grounded from the internet at age 13 till I was 21. :/ Anime was kinda all adult oriented back then. I remember all the ancient looking websites. So simple compared to now.
ChiiruChan
ChiiruChan

Back to top Go down

Post by RBM Thu Mar 13, 2014 5:13 pm

Let's see, I started my Electronics with PC Specialty in the local community college in '88, if not the year before, but didn't get online till a couple years later wit a Intel 286 Compaq. Then I had a classmate build me a VESA Local bus-486 and I remember being on-line for sure, then.

And Oh, the latest from Greenwald, How the NSA Plans to Infect ‘Millions’ of Computers with Malware
RBM
RBM

Back to top Go down

Post by melodiccolor Thu Mar 13, 2014 5:21 pm

In the end, keeping the net open and free will be a balancing act, a race between those who want to control it, those who wish to profit off all the personal information it generates, those who wish to control us through information, and finally those of us who use the net; our rights and protections. Make no mistake, there are things being done to curtail abuses, slow them down, or else the web would be already useless.
melodiccolor
melodiccolor
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RBM Sat Mar 15, 2014 10:19 am

melodiccolor wrote:In the end, keeping the net open and free will be a balancing act, a race between those who want to control it, those who wish to profit off all the personal information it generates, those who wish to control us through information, and finally those of us who use the net;  our rights and protections.  Make no mistake, there are things being done to curtail abuses, slow them down, or else the web would be already useless.

Yup, following is an example one such effort>>

I recently got involved with http://setsciencefree.org. Give it a visit, consider signing and circulating this most critical campagin to end DOGMATISM in science.

On April 2, 2013, TED.com finalized their decision to ban Rupert Sheldrake, PhD‘s TEDx talk “The Science Delusion”, from their main database of searchable talks. This talk is on the topic of scientific dogma and materialism. The decision to remove the talk was handed down by TED’s ‘anonymous scientific board’ which, according to TED, consists of a few unnamed scientists and journalists. TED’s ‘scientific board’ initially challenged the scientific validity of the talk but failed and their objections were ultimately retracted. Yet despite being unable to find any reasonable justification, they proceeded to remove it, ignoring the advice of a multitude of scientists who had called for them to reinstate it. The removal of the lecture has ignited an intellectual and scientific backlash against TED that has been raging for nearly a full year.

Here is the TEDx Talk that started the controversy and inspired this movement. “The Science Delusion”. *

* Embedded video at link.

The poster, Avatar 'Edge' is one Elliot Edge who is quite active on the web, including video editing for Tom Campbell's work. His brother, Mazwell have several sites of which would have a positive impact on continuing a free WWW.

This effort is a broad one, and will have more expansive positive consequences, than just focusing on the Web, but both have value.
RBM
RBM

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down