The HSP Dimension: Expressions of Highly Sensitive People
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

animal cruelty

5 posters

Go down

animal cruelty Empty animal cruelty

Post by frmthhrt Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:55 am

I know there are lots of groups and sites against animal cruelty out there, and many people just shut it out because of hearing it all the time, but I was sent a video of workers torturing and killing pigs at a Tyson factory farm that supplies Walmart among others, and it upset me enough to want to do something about it. No one wants to see this video! But the video is also on a page that has a petition to Walmart to put and end to these practices. Wal Mart Canada has already taken some action to improve conditions for pigs, but so far Walmart USA is not making any changes. Here is a link to a page with a petition, but be forewarned: the video is autoplay...music and credits will come up when you open it, so hit pause if you do not want to witness cruelty to animals. Please sign the petition.

http://www.walmartcruelty.com/
frmthhrt
frmthhrt

Back to top Go down

animal cruelty Empty Re: animal cruelty

Post by Riana Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:16 pm

I think I tend to shut it out a little because I care so immensely about animals and I think I might just explode with anger when I see something like that. It makes me hate the world.
Riana
Riana

Back to top Go down

Post by tigerlily Wed Nov 27, 2013 7:56 am

I agree with Riana, I cannot face animal cruelty because it upsets me greatly. However, I tend to focus on what I can do instead of what I can't. Sign petitions, take care of my own rescue animals, assist shelters, spread the word in social media etc. I've been a vegetarian for almost 2 decades - that is one important way to actually help animals and reduce one's carbon footprint. There are lots of delicious vegetarian options nowadays compared to what the options were in a small city in the beginning of nineties! My mom was so upset that I became a vegetarian that she refused to cook vegetarian meals for me so I had to learn to do it myself. Tough at the beginning but now I could not imagine eating meat ever again.

I am grateful for people who raise their voices for animals because they can't speak for themselves. Sometimes it requires that videos are published or photos revealed. I can't watch them but someone might wake up and start to think about our obligations towards innocent and sentient beings. Also, it is a good way to start campaigns for changing practices in corporations that would not otherwise change their abusive practices. Well done frmthhrt! Keep up the fighting for animals Smile
tigerlily
tigerlily

Back to top Go down

Post by melodiccolor Wed Nov 27, 2013 5:42 pm

tigerlily wrote:I agree with Riana, I cannot face animal cruelty because it upsets me greatly. However, I tend to focus on what I can do instead of what I can't. Sign petitions, take care of my own rescue animals, assist shelters, spread the word in social media etc.
It's the same for me. My husband and I also support animal rescue organizations and my husband actively volunteers for a couple of them.

I get behind laws designed to outlaw animal abuse practices and try to avoid eating inhumanely raised food animals as well, or over fished endangered seafoods.
melodiccolor
melodiccolor
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by tigerlily Thu Nov 28, 2013 8:01 am

Sometimes I think about the life of my rescue cats before I got them - were they abandoned, abused or did they just disappear one day from their owners. And did anybody miss them after they were gone. Personally, people should work on their attitudes towards animals by for example not taking a pet if there are no guarantees to take care for them. However, the laws supporting sustainable animal husbandry and pet care are important as well because corporations and unfortunately some people too do not change their behavior unless sanctioned.
tigerlily
tigerlily

Back to top Go down

Post by melodiccolor Thu Nov 28, 2013 4:07 pm

Fully agreed. Too many people treat their pets as possessions and discard them far too easily. Or they let them roam freely, unfixed and as a result, there are feral cat colonies everywhere. I've rescued a couple of colonies of mixed feral and abandoned cats.

What infuriates me is communities that pass laws prohibiting the feeding, rescuing and caring for these homeless animals, rather than dealing with the root cause, human neglect. Humans can be quite cruel, even on a government level.
melodiccolor
melodiccolor
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by anarkandi Thu Nov 28, 2013 4:37 pm

I've been meaning to write a proposal that furthers the swedish animal welfare to require all industres that use animals to provide some basic fundamental rights: the right to walk freely on big areas, and the right to form relations with other animals. I'm thinking it won't go through, but I'm interested to see how anyone can possibly argue against such fundamental rights.
anarkandi
anarkandi

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down