The HSP Dimension: Expressions of Highly Sensitive People
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A thread to gather info for natural remedies to common health issues

3 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

A thread to gather info for natural remedies to common health issues - Page 2 Empty Re: A thread to gather info for natural remedies to common health issues

Post by melodiccolor Fri Sep 19, 2014 4:00 pm

Sam, post here which ones you try and how well they work for you. I do know about many of those and they do help.
melodiccolor
melodiccolor
Admin

Back to top Go down

A thread to gather info for natural remedies to common health issues - Page 2 Empty prescription medicine

Post by melodiccolor Tue Oct 07, 2014 8:18 pm

melodiccolor
melodiccolor
Admin

Back to top Go down

A thread to gather info for natural remedies to common health issues - Page 2 Empty Re: A thread to gather info for natural remedies to common health issues

Post by melodiccolor Fri Nov 07, 2014 4:20 pm

http://www.rodalenews.com/added-sugar?cid=NL_RNDF_1905652_11072014_5_Freaky_Stats_About_Added_Sugar_text

This includes all the different terms used for sugar in food ingredients--so much sugar is snuck into diets when we don't cook from scratch.
melodiccolor
melodiccolor
Admin

Back to top Go down

A thread to gather info for natural remedies to common health issues - Page 2 Empty Migraine & sinus treatments that helped me

Post by madamedraco Mon Dec 08, 2014 10:15 pm

As a long-time migrane sufferer, I thought this might be a good place to share what has worked for me. Hope that's ok?

Prevention: Check with a doc about magnesium deficiency. If eyes are light sensitive, and you don't want to wear shades all the time, try tinted lenses even if you don't normally wear glasses. Mine are plain glass (not for vision correction) and tinted with a layer of pale pink over a layer of pale gray. Cuts glare from harsh flourescents quite a bit.

During a headache: (sounds weird, but really helps!) Lie in the tub with your forehead under the faucet, turn on the hottest water you can stand and let it barely trickle over the center-top of your forehead. If you're lying correctly, the water should dribble down the top of your scalp. It feels like a great massage!
Also, cello music on very quietly seems to be soothing and blocks out other sounds.

My migrains and sinuses seem to be connected, so controlling congestion is important. Lemon (in water, soup, tea...) acts as a natural decongestant without the annoying rebound congestion.

If I do feel clogged, a few nights of hot toddies prevents infection and a trip to the doctor most of the time. Recipe? In bottom of 12-16oz mug: Zest and juice of 1 lemon, 2-3 tsp of grated ginger (peel, keep in freezer, grate frozen with microplane!), 4 Tbs honey, 2 Tbs inexpensive bourbon. Top off with hot tea of choice or water.

Anyway, thought I'd offer some of what's helped me.
madamedraco
madamedraco

Back to top Go down

Post by melodiccolor Tue Dec 09, 2014 3:51 pm

Thanks for posting that; I see some new ideas I hadn't come across. I know so many who deal with migraines so this will be quite useful.
melodiccolor
melodiccolor
Admin

Back to top Go down

A thread to gather info for natural remedies to common health issues - Page 2 Empty prebiotics and probiotics

Post by melodiccolor Sun Dec 28, 2014 4:49 pm

Gut Feeling? Probiotics May Ease Anxiety and Depression

http://news.yahoo.com/gut-feeling-probiotics-may-ease-anxiety-depression-153908208.html

This was all over my news feed today in several articles. Yet another reason to eat healthy and encourage healthy gut flora.
melodiccolor
melodiccolor
Admin

Back to top Go down

A thread to gather info for natural remedies to common health issues - Page 2 Empty nutritional needs change with aging

Post by melodiccolor Sat Feb 14, 2015 2:44 am

Older Adults: Double Your Protein Intake for Better Health

http://news.yahoo.com/older-adults-double-protein-intake-better-health-144511480.html

While this study is limited, intuitively reading my own body, the conclusion feels right. This is an important issue for HSP as we tend to want less protein as we age, yet we may need it.
melodiccolor
melodiccolor
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by melodiccolor Tue Apr 07, 2015 3:05 pm

melodiccolor
melodiccolor
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by melodiccolor Thu Apr 30, 2015 4:58 pm

melodiccolor
melodiccolor
Admin

Back to top Go down

A thread to gather info for natural remedies to common health issues - Page 2 Empty battling exhaustion

Post by melodiccolor Mon May 11, 2015 3:14 pm

melodiccolor
melodiccolor
Admin

Back to top Go down

A thread to gather info for natural remedies to common health issues - Page 2 Empty exhaustion

Post by melodiccolor Fri May 15, 2015 4:16 pm

This article has lots of good information about levels of exhaustion and it's causes; which is a common HSP issue. http://www.rodalenews.com/exhaustion-quiz?cid=NL_RNDF_2123608_05152015_How_Tired_Are_You_Really_text
melodiccolor
melodiccolor
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by melodiccolor Tue May 26, 2015 9:29 pm

The Breathing Trick That Puts You to Sleep in Seconds

https://www.yahoo.com/health/the-breathing-trick-that-puts-you-to-sleep-in-119046906018.html

I don't know if this will work, but it's worth a try when insomnia and mind spinning hits. It may also help just to calm down when you're stressed out.
melodiccolor
melodiccolor
Admin

Back to top Go down

A thread to gather info for natural remedies to common health issues - Page 2 Empty About your gut

Post by melodiccolor Wed May 27, 2015 2:40 pm

melodiccolor
melodiccolor
Admin

Back to top Go down

A thread to gather info for natural remedies to common health issues - Page 2 Empty 3 remedies I got from friends and my new chiropractor

Post by melodiccolor Thu Jun 11, 2015 3:50 pm

My chiropractor told me about two things I've yet to try but I will when I need to. The first is tea tree essential oil for any kind of skin problem from a fungal or bacterial infection to rashes, general irritation, etc. You mix a drop of it with organic coconut oil, enough to cover the affected area of the skin, just rub it in. That's it.

The 2nd is for irritiated or inflamed eyes, take a bag of camomile tea, steep it for a min, then put it in the refridgerator to cool. Apply the tea bag on the eyes, apparently the tannen in them sooths.

The remedy from my friend I did try. FINALLY, something that really works for hot flashes and this I did try last night. Just put one or two drops of peppermint essential oil on the back of the neck once a day. I tried it last night which was a hot muggy night and I didn't get overwhelmed with night sweats or hot flashes. It did have an odd effect though. After I applied it, my neck felt really icy, like I had an ice cube back there for a few hours. The smell is really nice.
melodiccolor
melodiccolor
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by melodiccolor Mon Jun 22, 2015 2:43 pm

Update, the peppermint essential oil didn't really work as it caused rebound problems between uses, causing the overall problem to worsen while when it was in effect, worked less and less.  I stopped using it and it took about 5 days for things to subside back to where they were before I tried the peppermint essential oil to eliminate that amount.  It's a shame as the first 2 days of use, it seemed to work well before that effect started.

Edited to add they are still working well for my friend, so it's worth a try. It just won't work for everyone as I found out.

Last edited by melodiccolor on Mon Jun 29, 2015 5:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
melodiccolor
melodiccolor
Admin

Back to top Go down

A thread to gather info for natural remedies to common health issues - Page 2 Empty stress relief

Post by melodiccolor Mon Jun 29, 2015 5:55 pm

melodiccolor
melodiccolor
Admin

Back to top Go down

A thread to gather info for natural remedies to common health issues - Page 2 Empty problems with junk food

Post by melodiccolor Wed Jul 08, 2015 3:31 pm

melodiccolor
melodiccolor
Admin

Back to top Go down

A thread to gather info for natural remedies to common health issues - Page 2 Empty frequent illnesses prevention

Post by melodiccolor Fri Jul 10, 2015 2:25 pm

http://www.rodalewellness.com/health/viral-infections?cid=NL_RNDF_2159432_07102015_7_Ways_Treat_Frequent_Viral_Infections_text

7 Ways to Treat Frequent Viral Infections This is about both preventing them and lessening their severity.
melodiccolor
melodiccolor
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by melodiccolor Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:00 pm

My chiropractor told me about two things I've yet to try but I will when I need to. The first is tea tree essential oil for any kind of skin problem from a fungal or bacterial infection to rashes, general irritation, etc. You mix a drop of it with organic coconut oil, enough to cover the affected area of the skin, just rub it in. That's it.

The 2nd is for irritiated or inflamed eyes, take a bag of camomile tea, steep it for a min, then put it in the refridgerator to cool. Apply the tea bag on the eyes, apparently the tannen in them sooths.

The remedy from my friend I did try. FINALLY, something that really works for hot flashes and this I did try last night. Just put one or two drops of peppermint essential oil on the back of the neck once a day. I tried it last night which was a hot muggy night and I didn't get overwhelmed with night sweats or hot flashes. It did have an odd effect though. After I applied it, my neck felt really icy, like I had an ice cube back there for a few hours. The smell is really nice.

melodiccolor wrote:Update, the peppermint essential oil didn't really work as it caused rebound problems between uses, causing the overall problem to worsen while when it was in effect, worked less and less.  I stopped using it and it took about 5 days for things to subside back to where they were before I tried the peppermint essential oil to eliminate that amount.  It's a shame as the first 2 days of use, it seemed to work well before that effect started.

Edited to add they are still working well for my friend, so it's worth a try.  It just won't work for everyone as I found out.

Update on the tea tree oil mixed with coconut oil: It seems to work quite well on most things I've tried it with. I mixed 2 drops of tea tree oil in one tablespoon of coconut oil and in a tiny container and it gave me enough for many uses; I'm still using it. I just rub some in until it's absorbed and there's no oily residue. The only curious thing is the two combined smell like cookies.
melodiccolor
melodiccolor
Admin

Back to top Go down

A thread to gather info for natural remedies to common health issues - Page 2 Empty Cold and Flu help

Post by melodiccolor Wed Nov 18, 2015 2:20 pm

http://www.rodalewellness.com/health/cold-and-flu-remedies?cid=NL_RWRN_111815_5_Kitchen_Cures_Cold_Flu_Season&smartcode=YN_0008055872_0001533663

5 Kitchen Cures for Cold & Flu Season
By Dr. Josh Axe

In Ayurvedic medicine, licorice root is also used as an expectorant. A number of companies make licorice root supplements and teas, but if using those, be sure they contain actual licorice; some products, licorice candy, for instance, often don't contain any of the herb but instead contain anise seed, which tastes like licorice. Also talk to a doctor or pharmacist if you're taking any prescriptions, as licorice has been found to interfere with some medications.

2. Garlic
Garlic boosts the health of your immune system, and a number of studies have found that animals given regular doses of garlic supplements are better able to ward off viruses like the flu and various strains of rhinovirus, the kind responsible for the common cold. In one study from 2001, volunteers who took a daily garlic supplement were less likely to get colds from volunteers taking a placebo, and even when the garlic takers did get sick, they recovered more quickly.

For the sake of people who have to talk to you, garlic supplements are probably the kindest way to go. But you can also get the same benefits by chewing on a clove of garlic once a day for prevention or twice a day to get over a cold or flu. Mince a clove of garlic into some honey if the flavor is too overpowering. It's not clear whether adding more garlic to your cooking affords the same protection, but if you love the flavor, you can add more to your recipes while possibly getting an immune boost.

3. Echinacea
There isn't much evidence that echinacea will do anything for you once you get a cold, other than possibly shorten the duration of your symptoms. But there is some evidence that it could prevent colds and flus if taken in conjunction with garlic supplements, according to an article in the Journal of the National Medical Association. The problem with most echinacea products on the market is that they don't tell you how much of the herb is in the product. Forgo teas and, instead, take a supplement containing 1,000 milligrams three times a day. One note: People who are allergic to ragweed or to pollen may be allergic to echinacea as well.

4. Elderberry Extract
Another botanical that helps you cope with cold and flu symptoms is elder, also known as black elder. The extract of elderberries has been tested repeatedly and found to shorten the duration of symptoms by as much as four days, and the extract has been found effective at fighting up to 10 strains of flu virus. Nearly all of the scientific studies conducted on elderberry have used a commercial product called Sambucol, which is available as a liquid supplement from a number of different companies.

5. Thyme
Keep a supply of thyme essential oil or dried thyme on hand in the event that you fall ill with either the flu or with a common cold. Thyme has long been known as an expectorant, which makes coughs more productive (that is, it helps clear out your lungs faster so you feel better sooner). You can brew a thyme herbal tea by steeping two teaspoons of fresh thyme in a cup of boiling-hot water for 10 minutes.

Or, make a thyme steam bath: Toss either a handful of dried thyme a few drops of thyme essential oil into a bowl of hot water, and lean over the bowl, covering both your head and the bowl with a towel. Inhaling the steam will help loosen mucus in your chest.
melodiccolor
melodiccolor
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by melodiccolor Fri Apr 01, 2016 2:23 pm

This article has a lot of good ideas in it. I don't agree with it all, like using aspirin for chronic health problems (side effects of using NSAIDS long term are too well known and inevitable) or using ibuprofen at all or using a multivitamin if you eat balanced fully. But most of what is in there seems sound.

http://www.rodalewellness.com/mind-spirit/71-ways-to-be-healthier-in-a-minute-or-less?cid=NL_RWRN_040116_71_Ways_Be_Healthier_Minute_Less&smartcode=YN_0008055872_0001547944
melodiccolor
melodiccolor
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by melodiccolor Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:40 pm

melodiccolor
melodiccolor
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2