The HSP Dimension: Expressions of Highly Sensitive People
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Nicknames

+7
SimplyNan
Little Sister
Logan (Earthmaiden)
TheStargazer
reb
melodiccolor
Nucky
11 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Nicknames Empty Nicknames

Post by Nucky Sun Jun 15, 2008 9:56 pm

What are some nicknames you've had over the years?

Mine are:
Zooka
Er the Bear
Spaceman
Frosty
"B"
Nucky
Nucky
Admin

Back to top Go down

Nicknames Empty Re: Nicknames

Post by melodiccolor Sun Jun 15, 2008 11:14 pm

Only one and it was here. Mel. Rolling Eyes Laughing

Zooka
Er the Bear
Spaceman
Frosty
\"B\"

OK, I can see Er the Bear, but where did the others come from?

Hi Reb, we cross posted. Nick names from tormentors don't count; those are derisive and harmful.

Last edited by melodiccolor on Sun Jun 15, 2008 11:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
melodiccolor
melodiccolor
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by reb Sun Jun 15, 2008 11:15 pm

mongoose...in high school. assholes...and 'e' at work for years....a friend of mine used to call me 'el dog', but it never caught on...

reb
reb

Location : next to the women on this board so they know where i'm at

Back to top Go down

Post by Nucky Sun Jun 15, 2008 11:16 pm

Oh yeah, and how can I forget nucky and nuckinfutz?
Nucky
Nucky
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by melodiccolor Sun Jun 15, 2008 11:18 pm

I think you mentioned once long ago how you got those, but would you tell the story again?
melodiccolor
melodiccolor
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TheStargazer Mon Jun 16, 2008 1:33 pm

content removed.

Last edited by TheStargazer on Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
TheStargazer
TheStargazer

Back to top Go down

Post by Nucky Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:49 pm

Zooka
Er the Bear
Spaceman
Frosty
"B"

OK, I can see Er the Bear, but where did the others come from?
[/quote]

Er the Bear came from when I was a toddler, I always had a stuffed Winnie-the-Pooh with me.

Zooka - I was the one who did most of the pet duties as a kid, so my mom called me "zooka", which was short for zookeeper.

Frosty - a kid in school thought that I looked like Frosty the snowman, it was probably good-natured ribbing.

Spaceman - I got this in high school because I stared into space without saying much. I also had (and still have) severe ADD without hyperactivity, so I often appeared to be spaced out and detached from what was going on.

"B" - This is ebonics, short for "brother." A guy in one of my dorm halls called me this. He was Asian-American, but he liked to talk ebonics a lot as a joke.
Nucky
Nucky
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by melodiccolor Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:17 pm

Wow, Stargazer, if we had a contest to see who had the most nicknames, I'd doubt anyone could come close to you! They all sound like sweet ones.

Nucky, like I said to Reb; if a name is derisive, it is not really a nick name, but just a hurtful name people use to put you down. It's akin to someone calling a kid in second grade cooties. So Spaceman doesn't count either. The others sound nice and colorful though.
melodiccolor
melodiccolor
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Logan (Earthmaiden) Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:28 pm

Last edited by Merlin on Wed Jul 30, 2008 8:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Logan (Earthmaiden)

Back to top Go down

Post by Nucky Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:34 pm

"Spaceman" did bother me, a teacher and a few students called me that, I always thought that I shouldn't have been bothered by it though. The teacher who called me that was cool for the most part.
Nucky
Nucky
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by melodiccolor Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:44 pm

Being treated badly in school, which includes hurtful names, does seem to be a common experience of hsp's. pale Although I was not given a hurtful name, I was still the school pariah; the one no one dared be friends with for fear of also being ostrisized. (Fortunately, such times end; for me things started to turn around in 10th grade.) On another hsp forum, there were once 2 huge threads on this common experience we seem to have being hsp in childhood.

Nucky, when the teacher called you that, was it with affectionate exasperation or derision? And what about the other students? Once the teacher realised that other students started calling you that, he should have stopped immediately.
melodiccolor
melodiccolor
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nucky Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:51 pm

It was probably affectionate exasperation from most of the people who called me that, including the teacher. I wasn't sure at the time because I got nearly universal derision for most of my life, it continues to this day, only difference now is it's most often in the form of silent shunning.

Last edited by nuckinfutz on Mon Jun 16, 2008 6:21 pm; edited 3 times in total
Nucky
Nucky
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by reb Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:52 pm

frankly, i like 'shellbert'; reminds me of dilbert, which i miss Smile
reb
reb

Back to top Go down

Post by TheStargazer Mon Jun 16, 2008 6:10 pm

content removed.

Last edited by TheStargazer on Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
TheStargazer
TheStargazer

Back to top Go down

Post by reb Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:04 am

SG,

'meatball sundae'! lol! what an imagination...yeah, you're right...Shellbert is mild comparatively....Smile

having been in a cube farm, i was always fond of dilbert....his tie really made me grin Smile
reb
reb

Back to top Go down

Post by Little Sister Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:14 am

melodiccolor wrote:Being treated badly in school, which includes hurtful names, does seem to be a common experience of hsp's. pale Although I was not given a hurtful name, I was still the school pariah; the one no one dared be friends with for fear of also being ostrisized. (Fortunately, such times end; for me things started to turn around in 10th grade.) On another hsp forum, there were once 2 huge threads on this common experience we seem to have being hsp in childhood.

Melodic,

Sorry you experienced that, too. High school wasn't too bad for me because I was in a gifted program, but grade school was dreadful.

As for nicknames, I've had many, but only two stuck - Annie and Sis, of course. No matter where I've lived people call me Sis or Sister, so I guess it fits.

Some of the names that didn't catch on:

Festus - (for a cartoon character I created in grade school)
Legs
Napolean or Nappy - (broke my arm when I was 13, and it was plastered to my body, making me look like I had Napolean's indigestion)
Va - (my little brother said my name this way, and it's still occasionally used by family)
Smoo Girl - (cause I like S'mores)

Then there are my mother's dreaded nicknames which I won't repeat because they are too cutsey. My family knows I loath them, but my mother and one brother still persist in calling me by these names.
Little Sister
Little Sister

Back to top Go down

Post by SimplyNan Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:57 pm

Guido - this was when I worked for the City of Tucson some years back and I was the back up person on petty cash. One time someone asked what would happen if they didn't return the receipts and change and the woman told them that she would send Guido after them. The next question was, who's Guido? And then she pointed to me. That stuck for a while and even the City Manager called me that. One day I was leaving work, waiting for the elevator, it came, was crowded but they made room so I squeezed in. From the back I hear this masculine voice saying "Hi Guido". It was the City Manager. I blushed.

Sarge - this was from my last job up in Utah. I don't take any bs from anyone and am quite vocal. The store manager started calling me this.

Guido once more - I was also doing collections in the Utah job so they started referring to me as this again.

Curly - when my hair started growing back after chemo some years back, it came back very curly, hence the temporary nickname of Curly.
SimplyNan
SimplyNan

Back to top Go down

Post by melodiccolor Tue Jun 17, 2008 1:19 pm

Little Sister, the reason things turned around in 10th grade for me was that I entered a program for gifted at that point too.

You've got me curious about those dreaded cutsie nicknames, but I won't ask, as I know you've got a thing about cute. Laughing Annie makes sense, but Sis? I guess I can see it.

Nan, I love that nickname Guido; imagine the fun if you'd used that as your screen name. laughing Sarge is a pretty cool nickname for someone who is hsp too. You're definately a part of this not so timid group. mrgreen So is your hair now straight again? I know it's grown back somewhat.

Stargazer; all those nicknames are just endearing.
melodiccolor
melodiccolor
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Little Sister Tue Jun 17, 2008 2:18 pm

Guido,

Remind me not to get on your bad side. Smile

And I almost forgot another nickname - I used to be called Nan or Nanny, as well.
Little Sister
Little Sister

Back to top Go down

Post by SimplyNan Tue Jun 17, 2008 2:36 pm

Most people would have to be pretty awful to bring my bad side out. So far only my exes have experienced that.

Mel, my hair is growing back in curly again. Don't know if it will stay that way or not. We'll see.
SimplyNan
SimplyNan

Back to top Go down

Post by reb Thu Jun 19, 2008 4:50 pm

i just remembered one other while readin Nan's 'guido' lol!

had a boss who called me 'dog robber'....an old military term for someone who does all the scut jobs....i sure as heck did, too. but some of them were fun to me...Smile
reb
reb

Back to top Go down

Post by citrine Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:16 am

Yes.
citrine

Back to top Go down

Post by StrawberryLife Sun Jun 22, 2008 6:50 pm

lol What a great thread!!

I think it would be better off in one of the 'secret' forums though, as some people's names are in it... (?)
Fascinating discussion - might I suggest the super-secret/introduction forum? Smile

Love lots of the nicknames listed!! (Yes, even Spaceman!! I always wanted to be an astronaut - ever since BattleStar Galactica lol!! & I love David Bowie, what can I say? Smile) Zooka - lol!! Smile Very inventive, all of them!!
(bad nicknames/teasers/insult-words don't count! Reb, I'm sure you've been called prettier things too!!Smile)

I've had a bunch of nicknames myself, most were gotten from my Grandpa. He was my dearest person on Earth. /still is, I suppose... died when I was about 12 or so though/ Terrible husband & alcoholic, as Grandma would later on say (to my dismay), but to me, the best Grandpa ever!
/sis hated & feared him as well lol - he had a big walking stick & was all crooked & had crooked fingers etc. & he always gave me more money than to her - cause she was younger. Of course I was delighted lol. But she was terribly upset over the injustice of it all!! lol/

So I was: Mercury (yes, I was very much 'alive'!!)
Cat (funny thing is, we have he- & she-forms in Slovenian, & I was he-cat, no idea why Smile)
Candy (from Grandma - sounds much weirder in Slovenian though lol)
I don't really remember the others, but there were a lot... I love giving other people names too... really hated most things made out of my name/surname (even when they were meant with affection lol)
later on people didn't give me any really cool nicknames anymore... Smile
I was 'babe' for my 1st bf & that was kinda cool too... (He was kinda 'babe' back to me too:))
Reminded me of the very 1st 'Mom's endearing' nickname I had... (For a while, I actually thought that was my name Smile Kinda figures why later on 'Barbie' was one of my favourite girl-names, for a while... Wink /No frets, isn't any lonegr... Smile)

On the internet, I'm all sorts of things... Mostly different for every forum nowadays... Smile
StrawberryLife
StrawberryLife

Back to top Go down

Post by melodiccolor Sun Jun 22, 2008 8:20 pm

Nucky, it is your thread; do you want to move this as SL suggested? Up to you.

And Merlin, that nickname you gave me is starting to show up in other forums! Rolling Eyes Shocked Laughing
melodiccolor
melodiccolor
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rivershine Mon Jun 23, 2008 1:05 am

No interesting nicknames here. Just Jess. But I do come up with some interesting screen names:

Moon Child
Rivershine
Blooming HaHa
Bonita Rojo
Monkeys 4 Hire

I'd have to say Blooming HaHa is my favorite. flower And rivershine is pretty. And of course Monkeys 4 hire is just plain silly. geek
Rivershine
Rivershine

Back to top Go down

Post by Nucky Mon Jun 23, 2008 1:06 am

I like Blooming Haha too!
Nucky
Nucky
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by adain Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:59 am

Here's mine
Internet nicks:
Squiggletops
Eadern
Blaze
Fire
Firenze
Adenosine (I love that! I don't know)

I have had in the past been called
Bunny (ex BF pet name for me)
Red (even when I was blonde!)
Tigger (My brother's nick name for me)
Tess, Tessa, Tessy (which I can't stand!)
Chook, and Fluffy duck

Not so nice names have been
Barracoda (a play on my surname, and of course my star sign), which became Fish - which was quite derragtory (the guy who started hadn't meant it quite like that, it took a life of it's own.)
Sad Clown - in reference to my perpetual unhappiness in high school.
pet dictionary ( I had a much more extensive vocab, than other kids. I actually quite liked it, cretins!)
Magazine memoriser - I had a habit of trotting out bizzare facts, how this name came about is lost in translation, but it's in reference to that little trait.
Scotty - when I first arrived in NZ, I had a ripper of a scottish brouge. Hate the nick, but it stuck longer than the accent did.

A real fav of mine is bugalugs. Don't know why, I think it makes me laugh.
adain
adain

Back to top Go down

Post by Rivershine Mon Jun 23, 2008 12:11 pm

Oh, I forgot one. My grandfather had a nickname for me when I was a toddler/preschooler;

It was....

(sigh)

Bubblebutt.

Neutral
Rivershine
Rivershine

Back to top Go down

Post by Little Sister Mon Jun 23, 2008 12:38 pm

INFP that's me wrote:Oh, I forgot one. My grandfather had a nickname for me when I was a toddler/preschooler;

It was....

(sigh)

Bubblebutt.

Neutral

INFP,

Little did your grandfather know that you were destined for great things at the Bubble Blower's Academy. Would you be offended if I called you BubbleB?

These are two of my "loathed" names. Can't tell you exactly why I feel such a strong reaction to them, but I don't like being called Missy-pooh and Miss Kabbible. And while I like Sis, please don't call me Sissy or Missy.

Oh, and I thought of one more nickname which I really liked. In Israel, I acquired the Arabic name, Habiba, which means darling or sweetheart.
Little Sister
Little Sister

Back to top Go down

Post by TheStargazer Mon Jun 23, 2008 1:51 pm

oh, remembered another one. My grandpa used to call me his 'little iodine'
TheStargazer
TheStargazer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content