The HSP Dimension: Expressions of Highly Sensitive People
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A stellar reference on herbs

4 posters

Go down

A stellar reference on herbs Empty A stellar reference on herbs

Post by melodiccolor Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:39 pm

While cleaning house, I came across a long lost book on herbs that I purchased back in 1978. The Herb Book by John Lust is a comprehensive refernce of botanical medicinal remedies. It also includes how to grow and extract the medices from the herbs, potency, etc. I hope it has been updated by now and is still in print as this is one of the best things I've come across and far more reliable than herbal remedies you buy at the store.

In the meantime, if any of you have any specific questions on a herbal remedy for a specific problem or what herbs you have (and common weeds and other plants) can do, I can look it up in the book for you.
melodiccolor
melodiccolor
Admin

Back to top Go down

A stellar reference on herbs Empty Re: A stellar reference on herbs

Post by petersi Fri Mar 19, 2010 5:39 pm

Ha melodicolor I have been high & low looking for this.
Can you please check what are the herbs for coughing in children?
Or clearing the phlegm in the throat or nose?
Thanks.
petersi
petersi

Back to top Go down

Post by melodiccolor Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:49 pm

I looked and it depends on the cause of the cough and phlegm as to what is recommended. I did find a recipe for a cough syrup for small children but it is more for treating a bronchial cough.

So I need more information to tell you what you need to know. Just the general list of plants for coughing is over 100 long and each would need to be looked up individually for details. Narrowing it down will help come up with the best options.

Also, the author of the book may have an online site too as he was also the publisher of Natures Path Magazine according to the blurb in the back of the book.
melodiccolor
melodiccolor
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by petersi Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:21 pm

Ok thanks I think its probably hard to get those herbs here locally here anyway. I will check their website then. Sometime I just worried their toxicant effect.
petersi
petersi

Back to top Go down

Post by melodiccolor Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:44 pm

I do too, but this book discusses that too in some detail. Like all medicines, herbal ones have benefits and side effects at varying dosages and under varying circumstances.

I hope they do have a website that is just as thorough.
melodiccolor
melodiccolor
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by petersi Wed Mar 24, 2010 5:25 pm

Its good that you talk about health. Its sad to see many people including HSP or even me neglecting our health. Our bodies are our best friends, they are always taking care of us! Surprised
petersi
petersi

Back to top Go down

Post by melodiccolor Wed Mar 24, 2010 5:29 pm

So true.
melodiccolor
melodiccolor
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by melodiccolor Sun Mar 28, 2010 6:14 pm

Well, after some googling I found out that there is no online reference to this book, but the book itself is still in print and can easily be found used or at a steep discount, which is good.

The author died in 2006 at 94; he was also associated with the mayo clinic. He was evidentally a researcher of some standing.

It is impressive that a book first published in 1974 is still in wide use today as well.
melodiccolor
melodiccolor
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Merrily Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:20 pm

Okay...no one shot me...This isn't a herb, but is something that might be in this category. I've a lot of stomach problems and had a horrible time lately since I'm on more medications. I found that 2 drops of Peppermint Extract helped my stomach so much. I saw something about this on Dr. Oz and looked on the Internet since I had forgotten what exactly the extract was. I would never have believed it unless I tried it myself.

It kind of burns the tongue at first, but I just followed it with a glass of water that helped. Amazing.
Merrily
Merrily

Back to top Go down

Post by melodiccolor Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:35 pm

That's good to know. I guess you have to make sure it isn't imitation peppermint extract, which is what the markets sell now.

Is it for nausea, acid burn or ?
melodiccolor
melodiccolor
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Merrily Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:07 pm

Any grocery stores. It's for indigestion, gas, nausea.
Merrily
Merrily

Back to top Go down

Post by Merrily Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:38 pm

Yes, the peppermint extract has to be pure peppermint extract.
Merrily
Merrily

Back to top Go down

Post by petersi Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:41 am

Thanks melodicolor. What do you think of olive leaf extract? It worked wonders for my groggy throat problem I used to have each nights I sleep. I took the extract only for a week.

Merrily I am not suprised that peppermint work. Chinese traditional medicine uses eucalyptus menthol oil to be rubbed around the navel to relieve indigestion or gas. It worked everytime for me. Drink peppermint with hot (but not scalding) water also helps.
petersi
petersi

Back to top Go down

Post by jaded Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:06 am

I don't know if this belongs here or not. Mel I am sure you will move it somewhere appropriate if I am wrong.

My girlfriend goes to a "witch doctor" here. She suffers from autoimmune diseases which you all know are disabling & painful.

Anyway, she soaks her feet in Apple Cider vinegar. She swears by it. She also adds it to her bath. She said it removes toxins from your body.

I cannot bear smells of that strong nature. I have not tried it.
jaded
jaded

Back to top Go down

Post by melodiccolor Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:27 pm

petersi wrote:Thanks melodicolor. What do you think of olive leaf extract? It worked wonders for my groggy throat problem I used to have each nights I sleep. I took the extract only for a week.

Merrily I am not suprised that peppermint work. Chinese traditional medicine uses eucalyptus menthol oil to be rubbed around the navel to relieve indigestion or gas. It worked everytime for me. Drink peppermint with hot (but not scalding) water also helps.

I an not an expert on herbs and I knew nothing about them when I bought this book. I just looked up olive leaf extract in the book, but found nothing about it. By groggy throat, do you mean soft tissue abstructing breathing while you sleep? If so, would you give me exact details on it; like how much to take and how? It may help my husband.

There are lots of effective herbs for indigestion, including those in the mint family. Peppermint extract is of interest because it is so easy to get and keeps for years.
melodiccolor
melodiccolor
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by petersi Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:37 pm

Melodi,

Ok this is going to be abit yucky.
When I wake up each morning, I have so much sputum in my throat that I have to spit them out with force. Sometime saliva will be found even on my pillow or the bedsheet. On worse days, I will wake up in the middle of the night, with half of my face soaked in mixture of saliva & trace of blood. Sometime this urge to spit will occur throughout the day as well. In short, I sounded like a heavy smoker coughing his cancerous lung out on his dead bed. I have this problem for years but it was only recent months that it got this bad.
I seen many GPs but nobody can help. I even tired some other herbal products but didnt work either. Until one day I by chance seen this olive leaf extract by the health shop. I took 1 tablespoon each night before I go to sleep. The product recommended to take it with water. In one week the spitting stop. This was like half year ago and my throat is still as clear as ever. Surprised
Hope this helps. If you need more details, please do indicate.

Last edited by petersi on Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:31 am; edited 1 time in total
petersi
petersi

Back to top Go down

Post by petersi Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:38 pm

I should add the above is not an april fool joke.
petersi
petersi

Back to top Go down

Post by melodiccolor Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:10 pm

I believe you that it is no joke. Pressure on saliva glands can cause an excess of saliva at night when you sleep, causing drooling. This seems to worsen as we age too. So this might be a good solution to that. Sounds like you were dealing with an extreme case. But....blood?
melodiccolor
melodiccolor
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by petersi Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:43 am

It was just traces but it is to be expected once awhile if one has coughed so hard to spit out. I should also add that this problem only mainly occur in the morning and totally subdued after the sputum is out. Other than this problem, I am actually consider quite healthy, hardly ever sick during a year. But now with this problem gone (finger crossed), I am actually quite happy with my health.
petersi
petersi

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down