The HSP Dimension: Expressions of Highly Sensitive People
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HSPs and finding good books and movies

2 posters

Go down

HSPs and finding good books and movies Empty HSPs and finding good books and movies

Post by lm8 Sat Oct 23, 2021 8:58 am

For years, I've never been able to understand how people could read or watch adult material and not have it bother them. Now that I know more about HSPs, it makes more sense. Other people aren't experiencing what I'm experiencing when I read or watch something I find that uncomfortable. Unfortunately, most people aren't HSPs and it's incredibly hard to find good ficton that's suitable for HSP consumption.

Think it would be great if we could start some threads on favorite TV shows and books and comic books that are safe for HSPs to watch without getting very stressed from them.

Also, as a Free Software advocate, just wanted to mention resources like the Fediverse and one of their more recent additions, Bookwyrm ( https://bookwyrm.social/ ). The Fediverse is attempting to provide an alternative to commercial, mainstream social media. Think it would be useful to post about this forum on Fediverse forums and vice versa. Might be able to get more users for both. It would be nice if there was a way to find other HSPs on Bookwyrm and see what books they recommend as safe to read. I've also been experimenting with Mastodon which is a Twitter alternative. I subscribed to a bunch of cute photos with puppies and kittens and rabbits but I also subscribed to things like a photo of the night sky from NASA for the day. They also have some really nice nature pictures shared by bots and photographers. Plus, there are automated services that notify you of subjects like tech articles and software updates. There's even a self-care tip for the day.

Thought I'd mention some other social media alternatives. Would be nice to have more of a HSP presence on them and to use them to locate other HSPs and to share interests. Hoping it could also be useful in attracting more users to this forum. I mention this forum to any HSP groups I run across.

If anyone else is interested in sharing books, shows and other media they think other HSPs would enjoy, we could share some ideas on that in this thread.
lm8
lm8

Grasshopper likes this post

Back to top Go down

HSPs and finding good books and movies Empty Re: HSPs and finding good books and movies

Post by melodiccolor Sat Oct 23, 2021 2:31 pm

I've found that there is no "safe for HSP" list that would work because what is fine differs greatly from person to person as to what is fine and what is not among HSP. We have a wide range of tastes and what is acceptable and enjoyable to one person isn't to another.

That said, many HSP seem to gravitate to science fiction. The TV series Star Trek, Dr Who and Babylon 5 are huge favorites of many in the community, including me. But they can be too intense for others.

To get good suggestions, it helps to state your preferences and the types of things you try to avoid.

An example; for me it's excessive cruelty, explicit gore, cruelty generated for laughs, loud blaring sound tracks, these things are not in any way enjoyable.
melodiccolor
melodiccolor
Admin

Back to top Go down

HSPs and finding good books and movies Empty Re: HSPs and finding good books and movies

Post by lm8 Sat Oct 23, 2021 2:41 pm

melodiccolor wrote:I've found that there is no "safe for HSP" list that would work because what is fine differs greatly from person to person as to what is fine and what is not among HSP.  We have a wide range of tastes and what is acceptable and enjoyable to one person isn't to another.

That said, many HSP seem to gravitate to science fiction.  The TV series Star Trek, Dr Who and Babylon 5 are huge favorites of many in the community, including me.  But they can be too intense for others.

An example;  for me it's excessive cruelty, explicit gore, cruelty generated for laughs, loud blaring sound tracks, these things are not in any way enjoyable.

I certainly agree that there's a wide variety of tastes among HSPs as there is with any group. However, I have noticed that several HSPs mention how they can't watch or read shows to books that many others watch because they are sensitive.

That's interesting that many HSPs like science fiction. Many people in the technical fields also gravitate towards science fiction. Wonder if there are any psychological reasons behind it.

If you go to a general book review sharing site or are comparing notes with a group on TV shows, they typicallly don't even think about things like is their adult material or excessive anything. At least with HSPs, they might think to mention those kinds of considerations when reviewing or discussing material. It'd be nice to even hear in general what other HSPs are reading or watching in order to get some new ideas.
lm8
lm8

Back to top Go down

Post by melodiccolor Sat Oct 23, 2021 2:45 pm

If you can find them, there are lots of older threads on here listing books, TV shows and music with this in mind. There are some gems in there with lots of deep discussion.
melodiccolor
melodiccolor
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down