The HSP Dimension: Expressions of Highly Sensitive People
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

ADHD Is a Fictitious Disease

4 posters

Go down

ADHD Is a Fictitious Disease Empty ADHD Is a Fictitious Disease

Post by Reamsie Tue May 21, 2013 8:34 pm

Prime example that when an easy out is offered people jump on the bandwagon. From the time my youngest son entered school more than once a teacher, doctor or another "educated" adult tried to convince myself and my husband that he was ADD/ADHD and pressure us into putting him on medication. But we knew that wasn't the issue. Well my son as it turned out is AUTISTIC.
Inventor of ADHD's Confession
Reamsie
Reamsie

Back to top Go down

ADHD Is a Fictitious Disease Empty Re: ADHD Is a Fictitious Disease

Post by Zen Tue May 21, 2013 9:05 pm

My brother was diagnosed as ADHD before he was rediagnosed as Aspergers.

Not surprising, plus unless a kid gets enough sun and outdoor activity it'd be easy to qualify them as hyperactive when they drive their parents nuts and seems like the easier solution is to get them pills rather than changing lifestyle.
Zen
Zen

Back to top Go down

Post by melodiccolor Tue May 21, 2013 9:06 pm

I fully agree with this. There may be limited instances where drugs like ritalin were really needed, but my guess is that it is less than 5% of cases and a crime is being committed against all the other children using it. Good for you for sticking with what you felt was true in the face of all that authority.
melodiccolor
melodiccolor
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Reamsie Tue May 21, 2013 9:37 pm

Zen wrote:My brother was diagnosed as ADHD before he was rediagnosed as Aspergers.

Not surprising, plus unless a kid gets enough sun and outdoor activity it'd be easy to qualify them as hyperactive when they drive their parents nuts and seems like the easier solution is to get them pills rather than changing lifestyle.

That was the frustrating thing about it. He isn't hyperactive at all. His world is very internal. He literally blocks out everyone else completely and focuses only on what he is occupied with. Working with him and getting older have both helped but it is still an issue. No the teachers wanted it because they would get frustrated having to go over to him and actually touch him and say his name to get him to snap out of his "world". He doesn't touch other kids, he isn't a distraction in class, he is just a little different. So anymore what that usually means for kids is medication. Cause that is waaaaay easier and better than parents actually parenting or teachers actually teaching. Just give them a magic pill and it all goes away. NOT. I have never met a child yet that acted any better on meds. The only benefit I could see was a get out of jail free pass for the kid and his parents for his awful behavior.

I'm not saying there isn't a small percentage that have been helped, just that I haven't met any of them.
Reamsie
Reamsie

Back to top Go down

Post by frmthhrt Tue May 21, 2013 11:13 pm

My sister just went through this with her son. She fought the government here for about 8 years to convince them that he was autistic, not ADHD as they insisted- even though the family doctor sent letters insisting he really was autistic. It took a trip to a major children's hospital for assessment to get an official diagnosis, and now suddenly there is government funding (the reason they fought the diagnosis) and help. They insisted on trying him on ritalin for a week, and he totally flipped out...it took months to get him back to normal.
On the other hand, one of my children is ADHD, and a very low dose of medication really worked wonders...so it is a real issue in her case, and treatment can work- but it is constantly being misdiagnosed, and the first thing the teachers and counsellors seem to want to try is drugs. Drugs should always be a very last resort!
frmthhrt
frmthhrt

Back to top Go down

Post by Reamsie Wed May 22, 2013 7:00 am

frmthhrt wrote:On the other hand, one of my children is ADHD, and a very low dose of medication really worked wonders...so it is a real issue in her case, and treatment can work-

I'm glad to hear that things worked out and that it seems to help your child. Very Happy

frmthhrt wrote:but it is constantly being misdiagnosed, and the first thing the teachers and counsellors seem to want to try is drugs. Drugs should always be a very last resort!

The real tragedy is that to even use the word "misdiagnose" is misleading when it is the VERY FIRST go to diagnoses and as a parent you have to kick and scream for months if not years to be listened to and get a correct diagnosis (or at least a second opinion). I know in the op I made reference to laziness and that is part of it, but after what we went through with AJ I can almost understand some parents, even if they disagree with their child being tagged ADHD, just caving to pressure. After all, you have teachers and doctors, who supposedly have more knowledge than you, repeatedly telling you this and refusing to consider alternatives.
Reamsie
Reamsie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down