The HSP Dimension: Expressions of Highly Sensitive People
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This Is Water

3 posters

Go down

This Is Water Empty This Is Water

Post by Reamsie Mon May 20, 2013 7:00 am

This is probably one of the best commencement speeches I have ever heard. It was given by Author/Writer David Foster Wallace in 2005 at Kenyon College. If you have never heard of him I would suggest that you Google him and maybe even read some of his work. Many of us would like to believe and hope that we are successful at being open minded and aware that maybe we aren't the center of the universe and that is what the message in this speech is really about so I would hope that you all take the time to listen to the full 22 minutes and 43 seconds of this speech and leave a comment on what you thought whether it's positive or negative.

Reamsie
Reamsie

Back to top Go down

This Is Water Empty Re: This Is Water

Post by tezorian Mon May 20, 2013 1:28 pm

Nice speech. But the funny thing about it is, you won't really understand it until you've learned to think free. Or maybe, when you stopped to think what [people] want you to think.

I just talked about free will for instance. How can you have free will if you have 5 choices to choose from, none of the choices you like and "no choice" is one of them. You are not aware of the choices 6-10 and noone will show you these choices. This speech kind of addresses that principle.
These 5 choices may be perceived by me as Sun, water, grind, rock, no choice.
You may perceive them as Life, fertility, knowledge, protection, wait.
So... I think this is a neutral comment. But it can also be perceived as a positive or negative comment.

edit: I didn't finish listening to all of it, i think i got to about 10 minutes or so.
tezorian
tezorian
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by melodiccolor Mon May 20, 2013 4:03 pm

His message is simple really. LIVE life fully, be true to your essential nature and live in kindness and compassion.

His point about unconscious worshipping of money, power or beauty is a good one; doing so makes you feel like you never have enough of those things and it's something society does its best to condition all of us to do.
melodiccolor
melodiccolor
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down