The HSP Dimension: Expressions of Highly Sensitive People
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

think point virus posing as Microsoft Security Essentials

2 posters

Go down

think point virus posing as Microsoft Security Essentials  Empty think point virus posing as Microsoft Security Essentials

Post by edie Wed Nov 24, 2010 5:27 pm

"Overall Risk Level: This entry has a rating of 2

Think Point which is also known as the ThinkPoint virus is part of a fake Microsoft Security Essentials Alert. Think Point is being advertised as one of the five removal tool to get rid of any infection found on the computer. Initial infection will result to a malfunction of Windows desktop, removing all icons and displaying only a fake alert message. Trying to clean this malware will open up a new window displaying multiple virus scanners but only those rogue programs will be able to identify the infection, and that includes Think Point.

Executing any of the endorsed rogue program will allow itself to be installed on the computer. Having it on the system will provide various annoyances including blocked Internet access, browser hijacking and malfunction system. Trying to run any applications will be blocked by Think Point and instead it will release a message stating that executable file is already compromised. All of these displeasure carried out on the system aims to force users into getting the licensed version of useless software called Think Point.

Screen Shot Image:

think point virus posing as Microsoft Security Essentials  Thinkpoint-intro
If you see this introduction window. Do not click on “Safe Startup” to prevent installation of Think Point. Restart computer immediately and perform a virus scan.
think point virus posing as Microsoft Security Essentials  Thinkpoint-scanner
Alias:

Damage Level: Medium

Systems Affected: Windows 9x, 2000, XP, Vista, Windows 7"

I was notified of this virus on one of my redbubble groups. not seemed to be attached to any specific sites. one member was unlucky and thought it was his security program, and b-mailed(bubble mail) groups to get word out. luckly i have not seen it yet.
edie

Back to top Go down

think point virus posing as Microsoft Security Essentials  Empty Re: think point virus posing as Microsoft Security Essentials

Post by melodiccolor Wed Nov 24, 2010 5:30 pm

Thanks for the warning.
melodiccolor
melodiccolor
Admin

Back to top Go down

think point virus posing as Microsoft Security Essentials  Empty Re: think point virus posing as Microsoft Security Essentials

Post by edie Thu Nov 25, 2010 4:21 am

hmm the images are gone lol thre was screen shots of it. oh well
edie

Back to top Go down

think point virus posing as Microsoft Security Essentials  Empty another poser virus "Antivirus Action"

Post by edie Fri Nov 26, 2010 7:04 pm

Called “Antivirus Action” it blocked every single malware and virus program i have from opening! not only that anything i tryed to open it soon shut down unless i had it already open before infection. It would not even let me open task manager.
None the less i was frustrated, unable to open games,IE browser(it targets the IE browsers) and was not able to download anything. It kept everything from opening up stating it is a threat and has been infected. it litterly attacked my computer last night and made it unusable within minuets.
What i am doing now might be what others will have to do.
I followed the instructions on this site
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/remove-antivirus-action
I was able to restart my computer into safe mode to deactivate the virus so i can run my malwaresbytes.
The instructions give you all the links and tools to get rid of a virus as aggressive as this one.

full description of what a virus like this is and how it acts - http://www.microsoft.com/security/antivirus/rogue.aspx
edie

Back to top Go down

Post by melodiccolor Fri Nov 26, 2010 8:31 pm

I'm glad the information worked and you got your computer back.
melodiccolor
melodiccolor
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down