The HSP Dimension: Expressions of Highly Sensitive People
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Jobs: a sad story of the state of unemployment in the U.S.

+2
Spock
Grasshopper
6 posters

Go down

Jobs: a sad story of the state of unemployment in the U.S. Empty Jobs: a sad story of the state of unemployment in the U.S.

Post by Grasshopper Thu May 13, 2010 9:07 pm

Read these news stories, and after some reflection, then share your contructive opinions, ideas, and plans. You can also voice your frustrations, and even throw a tantrum, if that's what you need to do. freakout affraid headbang whee! WTF toe tap reaperbang pale

Obama hounded by the lack of jobs:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ynews/ynews_ts2049

Many jobs lost are not coming back:
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/In-a-Job-Market-Realignment-nytimes-3478891081.html?x=0
Grasshopper
Grasshopper

https://sfba.social/@Grasshopper

Back to top Go down

Jobs: a sad story of the state of unemployment in the U.S. Empty Re: Jobs: a sad story of the state of unemployment in the U.S.

Post by Grasshopper Thu May 13, 2010 9:18 pm

The problem for older workers or ones with obsolete skills or lack of needed skills is to get training in something that is needed. Older folks may be reluctant to do this, but if lacking sufficent resources to retire, what else can one do???

Thank God for community colleges, at least, which have saved my ass! Inexpensive but requires investment of time and hard work to re-invent yourself.

What we see happening today will only be accelerated in the years ahead. bom
Grasshopper
Grasshopper

Back to top Go down

Jobs: a sad story of the state of unemployment in the U.S. Empty Re: Jobs: a sad story of the state of unemployment in the U.S.

Post by Spock Thu May 13, 2010 10:00 pm

Ok, here’s my opinion and observations. I have no clear simple message. Just a few points.

I’m a Purchasing Mgr. in a small company in the metals industry. Our company’s still slow but we are still making a small profit by cutting back everyone’s hours to a 4 day week, and collecting unemployment for the 5th. No one got laid off. It’s not great but we’re surviving.

I buy from many companies. Some are still slow but managing. Some of the weaker ones closed. Some are getting stronger. And some have started booming again with lead times and their backlogs getting longer and bigger by the week. Things are starting to get better … although there’s so much volatility in the world economy due to so many people and countries living on credit, that there are concerns that the recovery will pause.

The President can’t seem to do much because he started in such a deep hole, and because of a polarized government. The Republicans blame Obama, but they forget that this whole thing started when a Republican was president. Republicans have publicly stated that they will make sure Obama fails at everything …. That’s pure obstructionism. And that’s the last thing our economy needs.

Some jobs will not come back, but many will. And there will be jobs for people able and willing to be trained in other fields. For example, with the population aging, the health care industry will continue to need more and more care givers.

To sum it up, things will come back eventually, but it will suck until it does. I’ve seen several recessions in my lifetime, but with the combination of this unusually deep recession, excessive and unstable buying on credit, a banking system that dug a hole for itself, and a stalemated polarized government, it’s going to take some time. It’s spooky ... and I don't have answers for the short term… but I do believe that with America’s wealth and infrastructure, our economy and jobs will come back, slowly, but surely.

Just my thoughts.

Spock
Spock
Spock

Back to top Go down

Post by Grasshopper Thu May 13, 2010 11:01 pm

Thanks, Spock, for your insightful comments. You have some longer term optimism that much of the country does not seem to presently share. The President can only do so much to help, but people seem to want to have someone to blame, unfortunately.
Grasshopper
Grasshopper

Back to top Go down

Post by melodiccolor Fri May 14, 2010 2:04 am

Spock, I agree with your assesment. It is also true Grasshopper that it is hard for many to keep current and a fear of new things makes it worse.

I can't help but think of that woman in the article; the office assistant. She was very good at what she did. But I wonder, did she adapt, learn new skills for her area? SimplyNan has a simular background and is near retirement age. Yet she is able to not only find work, but to pick and choose the job that fits her well, not just accept any job that comes along.

So it begs the question, why her and not the woman of the article? There is more to the story than is reported of course.
melodiccolor
melodiccolor
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by waterdragon7 Fri May 14, 2010 9:39 am

You've brought this up several times in the past, MC, so why shouldn't our educational system be drastically changed to prepare all graduates from U.S. high schools, whether public or private, to become entrepreneurs? Preferably single-person enterprises, with vacations being taken by making arrangements with other entrepreneurs in your area to care for your business, in addition to theirs. And then you do the same for them when they want to take a vacation.

To me, the problem of jobs represents a failure of almost 100% of the educational system in the U.S. In particular, why is Nan able to find multiple jobs while the woman in the article had to settle for a low-paying job at Wal-Mart? Why, in the current economy, are high schools, junior colleges, and four-year colleges and universities still "educating" the vast majority of the students to work for someone else, in particular corporations, instead of themselves! And why isn't the trait of adaptability taught, starting in elementary school?

Personally, my biggest challenge with this kind of problem has always been ennui and inertia. But I've been doing a lot of research lately, and when enough funding is available, though not for several months yet, the plan is to purchase an existing business. Know what kind of business already, but will have to pay an attorney to create the LLC business structure, and also a certified public accountant. The CPA being one of those who examines the seller's books to make sure the business actually earns the annual amount claimed by the owner. And preferably, you take a little less in your own income the first year while paying the original owner to train you how to successfully run the business! So perhaps I do plan to take the "easy way out" and simply purchase a new job.

As to funding the personal enterprises mentioned earlier, the banking and financial services industries will have to be completely removed from this equation! Due to these corporations being "bailed out," while no such largesse was provided by the U.S. Congress to individuals who lost their jobs and couldn't pay their mortgages, or other permutations and variations of this type of personal situation.

It's now been proven the banking and financial services industry can never be trusted again! Perhaps the first funding will have to be provided by the federal government, but the Small Business Administration would have to be drastically overhauled to do so. After which, when sufficient individual businesses exist, "Mom and Pop" can then provide financing for their children, who have graduated from high school and college - completely educated and prepared to start single-person businesses of their own! Cool
waterdragon7
waterdragon7

Back to top Go down

Post by Little Sister Fri May 14, 2010 9:43 am

What a coinkidink! I'm a purchasing manager, too, for a fluid power company. Our company was very fortunate during this recession, in that we had one strong customer that continued to do well, and kept us from having to lay-off or reduce hours. Also, because China has continued to grow, expanding mining operations, and building nuclear power plants, that has actually helped us here in Pittsburgh. Now, business is booming, and my main concern is our company will have trouble keeping up with demand because I hear there might be a shortage in metals looming.

My second personal indicator is that my ex found a job earlier this year. He had been out of work for nearly two years, and I don't think it was due to lack of technical skills as much as it was a combination of ageism, not desiring to re-locate, and some interpersonal difficulties. Let's face it, many techies don't have people skills. They're great if you can plop 'em down right in front of a computer, but it can hold them back when it comes to interviewing and negotiating.

Grasshopper, I also love my community college, and am taking some courses right now, too. It doesn't hurt to keep up skills, particularly when you're over 50.

Anyway, our part of the country was not as hard hit as some parts, but I do believe we are through the worst of it. While, it's true some jobs are gone for good, I also believe others could emerge.
Little Sister
Little Sister

Back to top Go down

Post by jaded Fri May 14, 2010 11:31 am

As you all know, I am not employed outside of the home. I also have never attended college ( but plan to in Fall by the way).

My state is one of those poorest. Jobs are scarce. Most jobs are min. wage jobs here unless you work in the coal mines.

I have a child in Grade School, High School and college right now. I can tell you the curriculum changes yearly. They are preparing them less for skilled labor and more for white collar careers.

For example my 10 year old is in 4th grade. His Math is the Math my daughter (15) had in 7th grade. They are moving more quickly.

Also my Grand-daughter is in first grade. I can remember reading " See Dick run" when I was her age. Her spelling words contain 10 letter words.

Education is the answer as it has always been. We are not an upper income family merely because I chose to raise children before we were financially secure. The government has nothing to do with this. It was my choice. Now in order to get out of this mess, I must return to school at age 45.

Uneducated people tend to raise uneducated children. I believe that is some of the problem. People must break the cycle. My kids have had college drilled into heir heads since they were toddlers. It was never "if" you go to college but rather "when" you do.

Oh & Hester did you know that Al Gore is trying to slow & eventually stop coal production in WVa, Kentucky , Pennyslvania, and Ohio? My God it would be devastating to our economy.

The lowest paid UMWA worker makes $20 an hour. They are unskilled for the white collar work force. I unfortunately have one child who chose to not further his education & is an electrician in the mines. If they close them.....he will have to go back to school.
jaded
jaded

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down