The HSP Dimension: Expressions of Highly Sensitive People
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Empathy vs. subconscious cold reading

+4
Little Sister
BlueTopaz
melodiccolor
Nucky
8 posters

Go down

Empathy vs. subconscious cold reading Empty Empathy vs. subconscious cold reading

Post by Nucky Sun May 09, 2010 9:01 pm

For those who are not familiar with the "cold reading" phenomenon, here is a little bit of information about it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cold_reading

Sometimes a person who appears to be empathic is actually doing some kind of cold reading. The person may not even be consciously aware that (s)he is doing it. From the link above:

Former New Age practitioner Karla McLaren said, "I didn't understand that I had long used a form of cold reading in my own work! I was never taught cold reading and I never intended to defraud anyone; I simply picked up the technique through cultural osmosis." McLaren has further stated that since she was always very perceptive, she could easily figure out many of the issues her "readees" brought into sessions with them. In order to reduce the appearance of unusual expertise that might have created a power differential, she posed her observations as questions rather than facts. This attempt to be polite, she realized, actually invited the reader to, as McLaren has said, "lean into the reading" and give her more pertinent information.
After a person has done hundreds of readings their skills may improve to the point where they may start believing they can read minds, asking themselves if their success is because of psychology, intuition or a psychic ability. This point of thought is known by some skeptics of the paranormal as the transcendental temptation. Magic historian and occult investigator Milbourne Christopher warned the transcendental choice may lead one unknowingly into a belief in the occult and a deterioration of reason.

Do you ever suspect that there have been times when you or other empaths you know may have mistakened cold reads for empathic reads? Is there a way to prove that an empathic read is not just a cold read?

Last edited by Nucky on Sun May 09, 2010 10:04 pm; edited 2 times in total
Nucky
Nucky
Admin

Back to top Go down

Empathy vs. subconscious cold reading Empty Re: Empathy vs. subconscious cold reading

Post by Nucky Sun May 09, 2010 9:33 pm

Someone once told me that I correctly read her emotions empathically. But after I read the description for "cold reading", I realized that this definitely is exactly what I was doing.

Reading this made me a bit more skeptical about this empathy stuff in general.
Nucky
Nucky
Admin

Back to top Go down

Empathy vs. subconscious cold reading Empty Re: Empathy vs. subconscious cold reading

Post by melodiccolor Sun May 09, 2010 10:53 pm

Cold reading
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This article is about the communication technique. For the theatrical training technique, see Cold reading (theatrical).
Cold reading is a series of techniques used by mentalists, illusionists, fortune tellers, psychics, mediums and con artists to determine or express details about another person, often in order to convince them that the reader knows much more about a subject than they actually do.[1] Without prior knowledge of a person, a practiced cold reader can still quickly obtain a great deal of information about the subject by analyzing the person's body language, age, clothing or fashion, hairstyle, gender, sexual orientation, religion, race or ethnicity, level of education, manner of speech, place of origin, etc. Cold readers commonly employ high probability guesses about the subject, quickly picking up on signals from their subjects as to whether their guesses are in the right direction or not, and then emphasizing and reinforcing any chance connections the subjects acknowledge while quickly moving on from missed guesses.

Basic procedure

Before starting the actual reading, the reader will typically try to elicit cooperation from the subject, saying something such as, "I often see images that are a bit unclear and which may sometimes mean more to you than to me; if you help, we can together uncover new things about you." One of the most crucial elements of a convincing cold reading is a subject eager to make connections or reinterpret vague statements in any way that will help the reader appear to have made specific predictions or intuitions. While the reader will do most of the talking, it is the subject who provides the meaning.

After determining that the subject is cooperative, the reader will make a number of probing statements or questions, typically using variations of the methods noted below. The subject will then reveal further information with their replies (whether verbal or non-verbal) and the cold reader can continue from there, pursuing promising lines of inquiry and very quickly abandoning or avoiding unproductive ones. In general, while much information seems to come from the reader, most of the facts and statements come from the subject, which are then refined and restated by the reader so as to reinforce the idea that the reader got something correct.

Even very subtle cues such as changes in facial expression or body language can indicate if a particular line of questioning is effective or not. Combining the techniques of cold reading with information obtained covertly (also called "hot reading") can leave a strong impression that the reader knows or has access to a great deal of information about the subject. Because the majority of time during a reading is spent dwelling on the "hits" the reader is able to obtain, while the time spent recognizing "misses" is minimized, the effect is to give an impression that the cold reader knows far more about the subject than any ordinary stranger could.

I do this as an adjunct to empathic reading; it is the information in totality that I use. I get the facts from conversation and the emotions directly; I need not see or hear the person to pick it up clearly. I feel it as if it were my own. I feel it if the connection is deep enough with absolutely no other contact or communication with an individual; this in no way can be mistaken for a cold reading.

I have posted about experiments done with me as a child where someone holds a card up and I tell him what I am seeing. The last time it was something like 22 out of 23 correct or 23 out of 24. That is far beyond the results of just guessing and my results were consistantly above the probability of random guessing all along. Nucky, have you forgetten about my experiences?
melodiccolor
melodiccolor
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueTopaz Mon May 10, 2010 4:24 am

Well for me I pick up emotions by just being near someone. Sometimes I can't tell who the emotions are from but I have been through this enough to know they are not my own. When I was younger I agonized a lot about this plethora of emotions I would go through daily with no rhyme or reason. I thought they were my own emotions, you see. Now when I suddenly feel something odd, or out of context, I start to look around. Then I might do a little observation to see who or what I must be picking up. That would exclude the "cold read" because the awareness of the emotion precedes the observation or collection of data on any individual. I have even felt people being upset before they even entered the room (felt the emotion prior to even seeing them).
I'm beginning to think I can do it over distance too, with people I am conversing with online for example. That is even more nebulous and confusing to me. But I recognize the same "otherness" of the emotions or feelings.
It is a difficult thing at times.
As far as empirical proof... I imagine it is possible to prove or disprove it, but I would have to analyze carefully the test, the parameters and the exclusions before I accepted that it truly "tested" the ability.
I always try to be open minded though, and if anyone thinks they can explain what I described above as cold reading I'm open to hearing it.
BlueTopaz
BlueTopaz

Back to top Go down

Post by Little Sister Mon May 10, 2010 11:19 am

Nucky,

I'd have to agree with Blue and Melodic. I don't think there's mistaking cold readings with empathic knowledge. My experiences have been more like Blue's. I don't have Melodic's psychic abilities. Cold readings tend to be very superficial, and generally leave me feeling emotionally cold, at least when others attempt to read me in this fashion. I don't think I can even read someone cold, because I don't tend to notice physical details except in a very general hazy way. Instead, I hone right in on someone's spirit, and that can include emotion, but it seems to go deeper than that.

So, it seems to me the differences have to do with perceptual movement and focus. Cold reading does seem to be that, emotionally cold. It is an impersonal analysis, focused on superficial traits, that moves from the external into the target person. People can become very skilled at this, and often can arrive at some very accurate readings. However, empathic readings seem almost opposite in that they are highly personal, seem to originate in a person's gut and radiate out. The perceptions might not have anything to do with another's physical traits.
Little Sister
Little Sister

Back to top Go down

Post by jaded Wed May 12, 2010 1:01 pm

"So, it seems to me the differences have to do with perceptual movement and focus. Cold reading does seem to be that, emotionally cold. It is an impersonal analysis, focused on superficial traits, that moves from the external into the target person. People can become very skilled at this, and often can arrive at some very accurate readings. However, empathic readings seem almost opposite in that they are highly personal, seem to originate in a person's gut and radiate out. The perceptions might not have anything to do with another's physical traits."

What she said...........
jaded
jaded

Back to top Go down

Post by claeris Fri May 21, 2010 3:57 am

I think what I've done in the past would be cold reading...I did used to think it was empathy, but I know I don't absorb people's feelings or at least, it's not very obvious to me. The only thing is that I am concerned for people, so it's not completely 'cold' as Hester says. I don't know if everybody here knows MBTI, but instead of using the term cold reading, I would be using Ni &/or Ne for this... and then my Ti for dealing with the person
claeris
claeris

Back to top Go down

Post by RBM Fri May 21, 2010 7:19 pm

Nucky wrote:Reading this made me a bit more skeptical about this empathy stuff in general.

I'm not very empathetic, but it doesn't make me skeptical at all.

But then I've read about all of Ingo Swann's site. Ingo discusses the military intelligence threat assessment and the experimental protocols used in what became known as Remote Viewing. Empathy is an important biomind super power in his view and I think that is accurate.

Last edited by RBM on Sat May 22, 2010 6:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
RBM
RBM

Back to top Go down

Post by adain Sat May 22, 2010 12:41 pm

Cold reading is part of it...wether you like or not. Of course one takes cues form the person sitting in front of you. If you have a little mouse of a woman sitting in front of you, you aren't going to say to them, you are strong women exuding power and authority. That would be lying. However it's damn hard work forever asking questions. Half the time I'm not even looking at the customer.
And I'm doing all of the talking...and it's the cards I'm reading, not the customer.
Skeptics are the worst kind of customer!
adain
adain

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down