The HSP Dimension: Expressions of Highly Sensitive People
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HSP and family

+2
melodiccolor
Nucky
6 posters

Go down

HSP and family Empty HSP and family

Post by Nucky Mon May 03, 2010 9:09 pm

Elaine Aron says that HSP is hereditary, but some of us seem to be the only HSPs in our immediate family. Do you have many HSPs in your family?

I suppose that the trait can be traced somewhere down the line for all of us, and it seems that sometimes it can skip generations completely. I suspect that both of my paternal grandparents were HSP, but their children (my parents and aunts and uncles) are all very non-HSP. I also suspect that my paternal cousins may be HSP, but none of my siblings are.
Nucky
Nucky
Admin

Back to top Go down

HSP and family Empty Re: HSP and family

Post by melodiccolor Mon May 03, 2010 9:26 pm

There is likely an heriditary link; or even a metagenetic effect. But it does skip generations; I am clearly the only HSP in my family for at least 3 generations on both sides, including aunts, uncles and cousins.

Since so much is still unknown about both genetics and metagenetics and how the two interact, tracing this trait fully may not be complete in our lifetimes.
melodiccolor
melodiccolor
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Little Sister Tue May 04, 2010 11:50 am

I'm the opposite of the two of you. Both my parents, siblings, and children are HSP. However, since little was known about sensitivities when my parents were growing up, they learned to conform to what was expected. My father's upbringing was far gentler than my mother's, so he's more comfortable in his own skin, so to speak, but my mother developed some pretty tough defenses in order to survive. Consequently she has never cut herself any slack, working 18-20 hour days with fibromyalgia (not a diagnosis in her day). I wouldn't even dream of discussing HSP with her.
Little Sister
Little Sister

Back to top Go down

Post by SimplyNan Tue May 04, 2010 8:41 pm

Not sure on that. Most of my "older" family, it's hard to tell. I was always the "strange" one. But my daughter definitely is.
SimplyNan
SimplyNan

Back to top Go down

Post by jaded Thu May 06, 2010 1:48 pm

My Paternal grandmother & aunt were. I have 2 children I suspect that carry the trait.

Another oddity, we all have sky blue eyes. Everyone else in my family has green.
jaded
jaded

Back to top Go down

Post by edie Thu May 06, 2010 6:57 pm

i cant really say its in the geans, all my siblings are not like me. my cousins not a trait,and from what i can recall not even any of my aunts. if it is it is in some part of the family i do not know and/or it skips several generations so i cant see it.
vary well could be many generation skips.
edie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down