The HSP Dimension: Expressions of Highly Sensitive People
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Researchers Find Differences In How The Brains Of Some Individuals Process The World Around Them

5 posters

Go down

Researchers Find Differences In How The Brains Of Some Individuals Process The World Around Them Empty Researchers Find Differences In How The Brains Of Some Individuals Process The World Around Them

Post by melodiccolor Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:32 am

I found these 3 articles posted on another HSP board and found them of interest:

Researchers Find Differences In How The Brains Of Some Individuals Process The World Around Them

The trait of sensory processing sensitivity and neural responses to changes in visual scenes

Environment – Trait Interaction in the Highly Sensitive Person

The second link is to the abstract of an article co-authored by Author and Elain Aron with other researchers. The full article is not accessible right now apparently.

The more research on this subject, the better. This project is just a start; with a fairly small sample base.

The first link posted also equates shyness with introversion and labels it a neuroticism; introversion is most definately not a learned trait. I thought mri scans and research long ago showed it is another normal variation in brain wiring.

Still, any research of this kind helps us gain validity with larger society, acceptance. We are not disabled, mentally ill or less than others for just being wired this way; quite the contrary if further research backs up this study.
melodiccolor
melodiccolor
Admin

Back to top Go down

Researchers Find Differences In How The Brains Of Some Individuals Process The World Around Them Empty Re: Researchers Find Differences In How The Brains Of Some Individuals Process The World Around Them

Post by SimplyNan Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:30 pm

Hmm, in our case, wired wonky..... freakout
SimplyNan
SimplyNan

Back to top Go down

Researchers Find Differences In How The Brains Of Some Individuals Process The World Around Them Empty Re: Researchers Find Differences In How The Brains Of Some Individuals Process The World Around Them

Post by Nucky Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:26 am

I really like how the second article re-coins the term HSP as "sensory processing sensitivity (SPS)." I hope that this term can be made to stick somehow, although I doubt that it will happen. The latter term is much more accurate than "highly sensitive person."
Nucky
Nucky
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by melodiccolor Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:46 am

I agree Nucky. I think that is the term Aron uses for all species and from there she coined the term "highly sensitive person" to denote humans and it is a term riddled with misunderstandings ever since.
melodiccolor
melodiccolor
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Little Sister Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:31 am

I like SPS better, too. I rarely use HSP when talking about the trait, because it makes one sound so special. mrgreen
But it also got me thinking about how many other traits such as ADHD, autism, most mental illnesses for which people are maligned and treated as if they had some great character flaw, and yet when it comes down to it, it's all in how they are wired, as well.
Little Sister
Little Sister

Back to top Go down

Post by edie Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:02 pm

Hester Prynn wrote:I like SPS better, too. I rarely use HSP when talking about the trait, because it makes one sound so special. mrgreen
But it also got me thinking about how many other traits such as ADHD, autism, most mental illnesses for which people are maligned and treated as if they had some great character flaw, and yet when it comes down to it, it's all in how they are wired, as well.
that is so true,they are wired diffrent to our perception something isnt right, but to theirs nothing is wrong. another thing ment to be no matter what. what is,is. and their labels have generated the worst reputation.
but in another thought, call a rose by any other name is but still a rose. we call it sps, in time will have the same reaction from those who dont or dont try to understand. we are still diffrent and diffrent causes fear.
edie

Back to top Go down

Post by melodiccolor Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:15 pm

call a rose by any other name is but still a rose. we call it sps, in time will have the same reaction from those who dont or dont try to understand. we are still diffrent and diffrent causes fear.
Unfortunately, this is true and something we all struggle with; other's reactions to our differences.
melodiccolor
melodiccolor
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down