The HSP Dimension: Expressions of Highly Sensitive People
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cats again

+2
BlueEyes
jaded
6 posters

Go down

Cats again Empty Cats again

Post by jaded Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:04 pm

I fear I am going to have to find another home for Merlin. He has started using the bathroom throughout my house rather than his box. My husband removed the carpet from the kitchen Friday it was so bad. Now he is using the bathroom all over my living room. It smells disgusting. I imagine we are going to have to replace both floors. I don't understand it. I keep his box clean. I am pretty disgusted with him. The smell is the most nasty smell imaginable.

I wonder if this cat is slow or something? I have never seen anything like it in my life.
jaded
jaded

Back to top Go down

Cats again Empty Re: Cats again

Post by BlueEyes Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:21 pm

Just a few thoughts and ideas for you to check out...
Usually there is an underlying reason for a cat to do that... especially if he had been using the cat box before this started. You might want to check him for a urinary infection... that will cause him to pee elsewhere. Stress can also cause this. You might want try to figure out what may have changed in his life since using the cat box that might be stressing him. If he is not fixed yet that might be a cause too. If I can think of anything else I will post it.

Pleeeaaase try to make it work??!!
cat cat silent and a foster, Buddy cat
BlueEyes
BlueEyes

Back to top Go down

Post by jaded Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:29 pm

Ty Blue. Well, my son changed rooms with my younger one & Merlins box was moved. Also, my son goes to college & then work. He & his gf aren't here much.
He is pooping too everywhere. Being HSP, one of my things is smells. They affect me far more the normal people. I wake up & vomit when I enter the living area.
jaded
jaded

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueEyes Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:54 pm

If you can, put another box where it used to be also. See if it helps or he stops. Also, by some chance did you also change kitty litter brands? That can do it too if he doesn't like the smell of the new stuff. I will check archives at the Bengal Cat forums I am a member of to see what else I can find.

Here is a website for some stuff that should help with the smell. https://www.zeroodor.com/ I sent for some of it seems to be working. I too am reeeaaal sensitive to smells also. It was highly recommended to me by someone at one the Bengal Cat forums. I don't know about using it for cleaning the carpet if there is a lot tho... they say you can but it is kinda expensive... but it should at least help or rid the smell.

Hopefully not, but if you end up having to put new flooring down and it got into the wood flooring underneath, get back to me and I will fill you in on how to deal with the smell from coming back thru the subflooring.
BlueEyes
BlueEyes

Back to top Go down

Post by melodiccolor Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:57 pm

Moving the litter box may cause this to happen. But Blue Eyes is right, an underlying health problem may also cause this; urinary track infection is but one cause, albeit a very common one.

You need to find an enzyme cleaner formulated for cat oders in order to get rid of the smell. At this point, you'll have to shampoo the carpets with it. It may have gone into the floor below as well.

A cleaner that works well is called Simple Solution; it is not heavily perfumed and does a good job of getting the smell out. I use it. Just don't bother with the wipes, they do not work nearly as well as the two spray formulas.
melodiccolor
melodiccolor
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jaded Fri Nov 06, 2009 3:36 pm

WEll, he did good for a couple of days then right back at it. I need to find that odor remover stuff & get it.
I figured something out too. I have been losing my voice. As long as I stay in my room, I am fine. The cat isn't allowed in my room. As sooas I venture out for long, I lose my voice. I think it's the pee though. I had no problem until he started this stuff.
He is a young male. Could he be in heat? I heard somewhere males did that.
He poops along the walls...ya know right up against the basboards. He only does it where there is carpet go figure.
Thanks Mel, & Blueeyes. I am really challenged on the feline subject. I am a dog person. I have always had dogs.
jaded
jaded

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueEyes Fri Nov 06, 2009 4:54 pm

WEll, he did good for a couple of days then right back at it. I need to find that odor remover stuff & get it.
I figured something out too. I have been losing my voice. As long as I stay in my room, I am fine. The cat isn't allowed in my room. As sooas I venture out for long, I lose my voice. I think it's the pee though. I had no problem until he started this stuff.
That zero odor remover I suggested works reeeaaally good... for all odors! I use it all the time... however, I don't know how well it does on stains tho. Haven't tried it yet. When I do I will get back to you.
He is a young male. Could he be in heat? I heard somewhere males did that.
Males do not go into heat. lol Only females. But... if there is a female "in heat" hanging out somewhere nearby outside, that could do it. Even if he is neutered... is he neutered? If not, get him fixed as soon as possible.
He poops along the walls...ya know right up against the basboards. He only does it where there is carpet go figure.
And... is he doing it along the walls under windows? Is there another cat hanging around outside? That could do it too. He's may be marking his territory. Unfortunately, my cat does this.

You have not mentioned all that you have done to try to rectify the problem... what did you do that he stopped for a bit? Fill us in... hard to know what to suggest to try otherwise.

Thanks Mel, & Blueeyes. I am really challenged on the feline subject. I am a dog person. I have always had dogs.
You might want to join a cat forum... they have a lot of info there that could help you... cat lovers are usually more than willing to help those with questions like this.

Also, you might want to get a black light flashlight... you want to make sure it is a 375 nm UV Ultraviolet. On my site is a link to a small inexpensive pocket light I was told will work. (if you do buy it would you go thru my link on my site, I get a small referral fee if you do.) If you go to my cat, Ka D'Argo's webpage... the link is at the bottom of his page. I plan on buying it also.

If you shine it on your flooring in the dark, it should show up all the places your kitty had been going... prepare yourself tho... may be more that you think. However, it will tell you where it is so you will know where to clean.

Do you have a dog now? Could your dog be peeing also because of the newish cat there? I have known that to happen too. Changes can really stress any animal out and cause them to do things they normally wouldn't. Hmmmm... is there any chance that another cat at one time lived in your house?? If that cat had gone on the floor sometime in the past, he maybe picking up the scent and marking the same places.

If he was my kitty, I would first check him out for a urinary track infection and go from there... better safe than sorry, I always say.

Anyway, without really knowing the whole circumstance it's is hard to know what is really going on... these are all just possibilities and ideas.

good luck.
cat cat cat Smile
BlueEyes
BlueEyes

Back to top Go down

Post by butterfly Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:03 pm

In my very limited experience of being a cat mama, I found that my boy cat was more insecure than my girl cat. He needed more comforting and attention.

Neutering is very helpful at taming them. If he has been neutered and he has no infection then I would definitely look at his stress levels. Cats do tend to suffer from stress quite badly. Moving his litter tray could cause that. The other things to consider are how much time and attention do the family give him? Does he have someone special? Does he have a safe place in the home that is his alone?

It's so unfortunate Seashell, that this is happening to you.I know that this whole experience has been a challenge for you, and I would so like it for you and Merlin to fall in love, but there is nothing worse than having to deal with the poo end of a cat.

Hugs

Butterfly
xxxxxx
butterfly
butterfly

http://www.tribe.paramimedia.com

Back to top Go down

Post by lula may Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:03 am

We have one of those automatic boxes. I mention this because we both really like it and I get the feeling the cats do too. Something to try maybe, in case Merlin's issue is that he's too fancy to go where he already has. Some kitties really do consider themselves that fancy, Shell! Even if you're cleaning his box several times a day this could be his way of expressing disapproval that he isn't stepping into totally fresh litter every time. Just a thought, it might help some with your alergies too. Other than that I have nothing to contribute and who knows if that's the problem at all!

http://tallyville.com/litterboxhelp.html

That page looked to have alot of great links to articles about this specific kitty problem. Good luck, Shell!
lula may
lula may

Back to top Go down

Post by jaded Tue Nov 10, 2009 6:27 pm

Yes, I have a dog. No he does not pee in my house.
I truly think Merlin is doing this because he gets angry or sad, feels forgotten.
I don't have time to amuse him all day long. My older son stays gone at his gf's house some nights. Merlin usually sleeps in one of my childrens rooms. Sometimes my 9 year old sleeps with me. I believe that cat gets poed that he has to sleep alone when this happens.

He lays with his paws underneath my bedroom door when my little one is in there.

My son has made an appt. to get him fixed. Hopefully this too will help. I also am gonna put a box in the hall upstairs along with the usual one & see if this helps.

Right now I have odor ban . My husband picked it up somewhere.
Thank you all so much for your advice. I will keep you informed of how things go. He is hiding from me right now. I caught him eating pizza off my grandmothers buffet ( made in 1920). He has learned to scatter when I scream "CAT" LOL!
jaded
jaded

Back to top Go down

Post by jaded Thu Nov 12, 2009 7:49 am

Okay guys, I think I discovered the problem. This cat belongs to my adult son. He bought him a T-shirt. Well, they left that shirt on that porr cat until it was time for his bath. His back was rubbed sore from it. Now that it is off..no potty anywhere. Keep your fingers crossed.
jaded
jaded

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueEyes Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:45 am

Shell...That is terrible! You know, each post I read on what is going on with poor Merlin I end up feeling so very helpless and sad for him. Cats don't normally need a bath and he is not a dog that wear clothes. I am sorry, I have to stop watching this thread... can't stand it anymore. No Crying or Very sad
BlueEyes
BlueEyes

Back to top Go down

Post by jaded Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:52 am

He LOVES water Blue. He tries to enter the tub when I am bathing. They bought shampoo for cats. I don't bath him at all. I am just his companion during the days when the two of us are here alone.
jaded
jaded

Back to top Go down

Post by melodiccolor Thu Nov 12, 2009 5:58 pm

Actually, I feel the same as Blue Eyes; Merlin is being treated quite poorly and that is why he is having problems using the litter box. By being forced to wear clothes he can't groom himself properly, causing sores and other discomforts. Who knows what other ill treatments he is being subjected to?

I hope you can find a solution to how your son is treating the cat.
melodiccolor
melodiccolor
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jaded Thu Nov 12, 2009 6:26 pm

he didn't have sore. he had thinning fur. The bathing part, well we didn't know. He gets in the tub himself. I told my son not to bath him anymore. My sons loves Merlin. he wasn't doing anything to be cruel. he just didn't know. Blue & Wissy have given me much information I have passed on to my son.
Merlin also has an appt. with the vet. I am sure that also will help my son be aware of how to take better care of him.
Like I said we have always had dogs. By assumption, Merlin was being treated as if he were one.
jaded
jaded

Back to top Go down

Post by melodiccolor Thu Nov 12, 2009 6:46 pm

I'm glad your son is learning how to treat Merlin properly. There is learning involved of course.

Cats are small creatures so also quite sensitive to relatively small amounts of chemicals, that is why I cautioned about bleach and lysol in the H1N1 thread. There are good sites on what is poisonous to cats and dogs.

The US center for poison control has information pertaining to animals as well as people; it is good information for you to have.

I do truly hope your family and merlin enjoy a long and happy time together. Cats often live to 17 years or older if in good health and treated properly.

btw, it is safe for merlin to play in clean water if he enjoys it.
melodiccolor
melodiccolor
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jaded Thu Nov 12, 2009 6:57 pm

I always put my animals on the opposite floor I am cleaning. We also have rabbits, in cages in my home. They are very suseptible to cleaners. My rabbit is 8 years old. The drawf bunny is only a year. Rabbits I know...cats I am learning.
jaded
jaded

Back to top Go down

Post by Nucky Thu Nov 12, 2009 6:59 pm

Most cats supposedly actually LIKE running water, they just hate being immersed in it.
Nucky
Nucky
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jaded Thu Nov 12, 2009 7:02 pm

Nucky this cat loves water. I thought cats were afraid of water..go figure. He gets in there with anyone who is bathing,....crazy I know. My best friend off line told me I was lucky...hers hate being immersed.

Oh get this. My friends cat pees in the toilet! I swear it is true. Is that not funny?
jaded
jaded

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueEyes Thu Nov 12, 2009 11:56 pm

Shell... here is a site that anyone interested in holistics should bookmark (put in their favorites?)....not only for themselves, but for their animal kids too. The site is called Shirley's Wellness Cafe, Holistic Health Care for People and Animals. The link to the page on cats is: http://www.shirleys-wellness-cafe.com/feline.htm. It's a truly informative site.

btw Shell... I'm glad you pm'd me. Smile

Cats again 454835

cat cat cat Smile
BlueEyes
BlueEyes

Back to top Go down

Post by jaded Mon Nov 16, 2009 6:29 pm

I am glad too. TY & ((HUGS))
jaded
jaded

Back to top Go down

Post by jaded Fri Dec 18, 2009 9:18 am

WEll.....Merlin has stopped peeing everywhere finally. The result of more than one box, no sweater and I changed his food to a kitten chow kidney health type food.

Something odd! He is putting rugs & clothing in his boxes. I know female animals will nest. I am not sure what this means exactly about him though.

I am trying to talk hubby into getting him one of those houses they climb through with the carpet covering. Maybe having his own playground will give our recliner a rest from his scracthing. Laughing and rolling
jaded
jaded

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueEyes Fri Dec 18, 2009 2:28 pm

Shell... I think you can buy these sheets or larger squares of, I think it is like two-sided sticky tape, that you can put on corners of couches, and such, to stop the scratching. I heard the kitties don't like the stickiness... it sounds logical and heard it really works. I haven't tried it myself yet, nor do I know where to get it. Also heard it is kinda expensive but would be a lot cheaper than buying a new recliner! What I like about it, it is non-toxic to everyone.

And, a cat tree wouldn't be a bad idea also! He would love it!

Happy Holidays to you and your family (including Merlin), Shell!

Smile cat cat cat cat
BlueEyes
BlueEyes

Back to top Go down

Post by butterfly Sun Dec 27, 2009 6:38 am

I'm pleased to hear that Merlin is feeling more relaxed and has stopped peeing every where. I'm pleased that you perserved with him and worked out what the issues were.

I'm missing my kitekats at the moment - they're in quarantine. I really hate it but the cattery owners are very kind to them. I just hate that they are living in what looks to be a prison. They had such a life of luxury with me. I'm sure when they get released the end of March that they're not going to be too happy with me. But at least we'll get to spend the rest of their lives together.
butterfly
butterfly

http://www.tribe.paramimedia.com

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueEyes Sun Dec 27, 2009 1:49 pm

Oh Butterfly... I am so sorry your kitties have to be in quarantine that long... how sad for you and them to be apart like that. I am sure I would have made the same choice you did on taking them verses the furniture tho. I don't know what I would have done if I didn't have my kitties, they have helped me thru so much. I am glad the cattery owners are kind to them and that you are visiting them as much as possible. Cats are amazing, they will forgive and think they will be so happy to be out of there and with you again.

I hope your new life's adventure in the coming New Year brings you Prosperity, Joy and Happiness!

Lots of loving hugs! Cats again 298310

cat cat cat cat Smile
BlueEyes
BlueEyes

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down