The HSP Dimension: Expressions of Highly Sensitive People
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A change in the way the chatbox works

5 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

A change in the way the chatbox works Empty A change in the way the chatbox works

Post by Nucky Wed May 20, 2009 11:55 pm

Those who aren't logged into the chatbox can no longer see chats in progress. So, from now on, if you see a user online and feel like chatting, you will need to send that user a PM, as they will not be able to see you in the chatbox until they are logged into the chat themselves.

This is not a change we made, this is a change made by our host.
Nucky
Nucky
Admin

Back to top Go down

A change in the way the chatbox works Empty Re: A change in the way the chatbox works

Post by melodiccolor Thu May 21, 2009 1:36 am

I'm making this thread a sticky and asking people wanting to start a chat to post in here letting people know.

That way they know to check if a chat is in progress.

I'm also asking for people to post when the chat is done or if one didn't begin, so people know that too.

I hope there's enough protest for this change to be reversed.
melodiccolor
melodiccolor
Admin

Back to top Go down

A change in the way the chatbox works Empty Re: A change in the way the chatbox works

Post by melodiccolor Thu May 21, 2009 1:43 am

I just experimented and discovered that if you click on the refresh button in the chatbox, you can see if there's a chat in progress without logging into the chatbox.

But you'd have to know to click it so it's best to still post here to let people know there's a chat begun.
melodiccolor
melodiccolor
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Safari Thu May 21, 2009 2:27 am

Why have they changed it?

It's not too difficult to click on refresh, or just log into the chatbox to see if there's one in progress. A bit of a nuisance though, I guess.
Safari
Safari

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueEyes Thu May 21, 2009 9:22 pm

Well dang! that is a bummer. Rolling Eyes
I hope you protest big time for us.

cat cat Neutral
BlueEyes
BlueEyes

Back to top Go down

Post by Nucky Thu May 21, 2009 11:26 pm

I'm in the chatbox right now.
Nucky
Nucky
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by melodiccolor Fri May 22, 2009 12:25 am

chat's still going on, come join in
melodiccolor
melodiccolor
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nucky Fri May 22, 2009 9:30 pm

I'm in the chatbox right now. Will be there tonight until further notice.
Nucky
Nucky
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nucky Fri May 22, 2009 10:14 pm

Anyone up for a chat tonight? Doesn't have to be for long.
Nucky
Nucky
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by melodiccolor Fri May 22, 2009 10:38 pm

The chatbox isn't too functional right now; for some of us, posts aren't appearing until after we post again and then previous posts appear.

This is happening at all of the forumotion forums that use their chatbox.
melodiccolor
melodiccolor
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nucky Sat May 23, 2009 3:01 am

:-(
Nucky
Nucky
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by melodiccolor Thu May 28, 2009 5:17 pm

An update; the change to not allow people not logged into the chatbox to see the chat was intentional.

It was actually a bug that allowed that; for lurkers to read the chat. In the process of changing that, apparently they introduced the second bug that prevents the refresh feature and page scrolling from working properly. This is resulting in people not being able to see replies to a post until they post again.

Apparently technicians are working to repair this. But the chats will remain invisible to those who are not logged in.

One thing I did notice though, when people are logged into the chatbox, you can see their names there, indicating there is a chat going on. Also at the bottom of the main index page there is mention of who is currently in the chatbox too. It's not great, but at least people can tell IF there's a chat in progress once the box is fixed.
melodiccolor
melodiccolor
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nucky Thu May 28, 2009 6:44 pm

I really hope people will notice the names.

Then again, maybe this is a good thing after all. If we have to shove the chats in peoples' faces constantly to get them to join, then they're not really interested in chatting. I don't want people to feel like they have to join in our chats if they're not up to it. This would also result in higher-quality interpersonal connections between the chatters. Being able to see the names on the side should be enough for those really interested in joining.
Nucky
Nucky
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by melodiccolor Fri May 29, 2009 5:23 pm

Here's an idea to use temporarily. What do all of you think about using a thread as a chatbox until ours is fixed? We couldn't see who's in the chat until someone posts, but we can use the quick reply box and it does post quickly enough that it could work temporarily.

It should be in the Super Secret forum for Stupendous Discussions if we do this.

What do you think?
melodiccolor
melodiccolor
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nucky Fri May 29, 2009 5:36 pm

That sounds like a great idea! I'll start the thread.
Nucky
Nucky
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueEyes Fri May 29, 2009 11:59 pm

Want to try chatting in the chatbox Nucky?
BlueEyes
BlueEyes

Back to top Go down

Post by Nucky Sat May 30, 2009 12:05 am

It took Forumotion 2 years to fix the last chatbox bug. Literally. So I'm not counting on this bug being fixed any sooner.

Looks like we may need to change forums yet again, folks, as much as I'd hate to say it. Chats are the only reason anyone ever comes here anymore.
Nucky
Nucky
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by melodiccolor Sat May 30, 2009 1:09 am

That's not true Nucky. But chats are very important here.

I don't think it will take them 2 years this time; the issue has been flagged as important and this was a bug they introduced themselves fixing another bug. The one that took 2 years to fix didn't render the box inoperable and this one does.
melodiccolor
melodiccolor
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by melodiccolor Sat May 30, 2009 10:54 pm

Just to let everyone know; I am in the process of finding help to show me how to change forumotion's chatbox for another. Hopefully this will be resolved soon, one way or the other.
melodiccolor
melodiccolor
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by melodiccolor Tue Jun 02, 2009 1:05 am

We installed a new chatbox. There are some things you need to know; we started a thread in Super Secret Forum for...

click here.

I wish to emphasize that this box is visible to the whole net as it is a plug in and not part of the forum. IT IS NOT PRIVATE!
melodiccolor
melodiccolor
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by melodiccolor Sat Jun 06, 2009 8:13 pm

We have our old chatbox patched up and are testing it out.

Come join in; chat in progress.

Chat over for now. But you can start one easily....

Our chatbox is working well!
melodiccolor
melodiccolor
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by melodiccolor Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:45 pm

If you want to chat for a couple of minutes Nucky, I'm here
melodiccolor
melodiccolor
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by melodiccolor Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:34 pm

melodiccolor wrote:We installed a new chatbox. There are some things you need to know; we started a thread in Super Secret Forum for...

click here.

I wish to emphasize that this box is visible to the whole net as it is a plug in and not part of the forum. IT IS NOT PRIVATE!

Forumotion's chatbox quit again tonight. So we're back with the chatroll box. Neutral
melodiccolor
melodiccolor
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueEyes Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:30 pm

Oh darn! Neutral
BlueEyes
BlueEyes

Back to top Go down

Post by melodiccolor Sat Jun 20, 2009 3:27 pm

Anyone feel like a chat?
melodiccolor
melodiccolor
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by melodiccolor Sun Jun 28, 2009 9:26 pm

Anyone up for a chat?
melodiccolor
melodiccolor
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by melodiccolor Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:49 pm

anyone up for a chat?
melodiccolor
melodiccolor
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by melodiccolor Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:58 pm

Chat is in progress, come join us.
melodiccolor
melodiccolor
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by melodiccolor Mon May 10, 2010 1:42 am

We just reinstalled our original chat box as it seems to be working finally! But the chat will still not show unless you sign in to the box itself. If a chat is going on, you will see names in the online column of the box. Come in and join the fun! Very Happy
melodiccolor
melodiccolor
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dance Expression Thu Sep 02, 2010 7:58 pm

Okay then. The chatbox moves to fast at times, so this seems to be a cool way to see the stuff.
Dance Expression
Dance Expression

http://www.plurlife.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next