The HSP Dimension: Expressions of Highly Sensitive People
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How to deal with trolls

+4
melodiccolor
EM
Nucky
Rivershine
8 posters

Go down

How to deal with trolls Empty How to deal with trolls

Post by Rivershine Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:22 pm

What is a troll?

A `troll' is someone who enjoys creating conflict on the internet. He or she creates and fuels arguments which upset other members of the online community.

Trolls crave attention from others, and they don't care whether the attention is positive or negative. For trolls, other users are not quite real people; they are abstract characters on the other side of a computer screen. Trolls don't feel bad about hurting the feelings of other people.

Trolls view chat rooms and message boards as a challenge where the winner is the user who creates the biggest argument, the user who upsets the most people in the most dramatic way. A troll wants to be the user getting the most attention.

Troll behavior discourages many users and makes for a less vibrant online community. New users may not post because they fear ridicule. Established posters may leave an online community because the noise has overwhelmed the real discussion. Trolls can make an entire community paranoid, leading users to become negative or to accuse a user engaged in normal criticism as a troll.

What should I do (and not do) about trolls?

Remember, trolls feel rewarded by creating the biggest altercation possible. They want to get a reaction out of you. When you fight with a troll, he wins. When you reason with a troll, he wins. Any time that you give a troll attention, he gets exactly what he wants.

The best way to deal with trolls is to ignore them. When you ignore a troll, he doesn't get the satisfaction of creating an escalated conflict.

If you decide to leave a discussion because of the negative tone, do not dramatically announce that you are leaving. While that message may make you feel better, it only convinces the troll that he is winning.

You may also bring an abusive post to the attention of our moderators.

Please remember: the best way to deal with trolls is to ignore them.

* from the IMDB website

Last edited by INFP that's me on Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rivershine
Rivershine

Back to top Go down

How to deal with trolls Empty Re: How to deal with trolls

Post by Nucky Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:24 pm

Thanks INFP. This is well-said.
Nucky
Nucky
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by EM Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:40 pm

That's a really good article. Did you write that?
EM
EM

Back to top Go down

Post by melodiccolor Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:03 pm

Great definition INFP. It's also excellent advice; ignore a troll. But expect in the short run a troll will escalate in hopes of getting a rise out of someone so it takes very strong determination not to react.

If you feel someone is trolling, notify anyone on the staff and we will look into it.
melodiccolor
melodiccolor
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by WissyWig Sat Feb 07, 2009 1:15 am

I have to wonder what kind of person takes the kind of time out of their supposedly busy lives to troll random sites. I have enough trouble getting to sites I'm interested in. chuckle

(True story: I was at a forum once where a troll was making some trouble. Someone posted "you guys, just ignore the troll." The next person posted, "you're right, we should just ignore the troll." The person after that said, "DON'T FEED THE TROLLS." Next person wrote, "you're right, we shouldn't feed the trolls." SEVEN PEOPLE fed the trolls by agreeing not to feed the trolls. freakout)
WissyWig
WissyWig

http://www.myspace.com/designs-by-indigolden

Back to top Go down

Post by Nucky Sat Feb 07, 2009 1:38 am

At least one of the admins is always here daily. If there's an obvious troll here, it's just a matter of one of us flipping the [img]If there's an obvious troll here, it's just a matter of one of us flipping the How to deal with trolls Banned
switch.
Nucky
Nucky
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dance Expression Thu Sep 02, 2010 7:34 pm

I like that. Good information for those that need it since the internet has grown so many trolls lately it seems.
Dance Expression
Dance Expression

http://www.plurlife.com

Back to top Go down

Post by caliginousAquarium Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:11 pm

this is some some kind of race thing isn't it? I for one am offended, and wwill not excuse such things.
caliginousAquarium
caliginousAquarium

Back to top Go down

How to deal with trolls Empty trolls

Post by Ellenfay Sat Oct 05, 2013 3:57 am

I agree, nicely put Being passionate about nonviolence hard to understand the trolls- I say a prayer for all of them
Ellenfay
Ellenfay

http://www.ellenliner.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum