The HSP Dimension: Expressions of Highly Sensitive People
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Earthquake just hit L.A. area 35-40 minutes ago.

+2
melodiccolor
waterdragon7
6 posters

Go down

Earthquake just hit L.A. area 35-40 minutes ago. Empty Earthquake just hit L.A. area 35-40 minutes ago.

Post by waterdragon7 Tue Jul 29, 2008 3:24 pm

Initial report was 5.6, which was revised to a 5.8 a few minutes later. Think they said the epicenter was east of L.A., in Chino Hills. Considered moderate, but just said on the radio that it's the biggest earthquake to hit L.A. in ten years.

They also noted it was felt, although very mildly, in Las Vegas. Doesn't seem to be much damage, but will have to wait for more reports.

About 15 seconds of moving 'side-to-side'.A few water main breaks and other relatively minor damage so far. Fifteen aftershocks, but I didn't feel any of them. Only the earthquake itself.

We dodged the 'Big One' once again! Extra Happy

P.S. Now the USGS has downgraded the quake to a 5.4 magnitude.

Last edited by waterdragon7 on Tue Jul 29, 2008 3:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
waterdragon7
waterdragon7

Back to top Go down

Earthquake just hit L.A. area 35-40 minutes ago. Empty Re: Earthquake just hit L.A. area 35-40 minutes ago.

Post by melodiccolor Tue Jul 29, 2008 3:31 pm

That must have been a pretty sharp jolt for it to break some water mains. I've been through a few that stregnth or stronger, but they were more rolling and so less damage.

I'm glad you were home safe and not stranded somewhere when it hit. It will take awhile for damage reports to come in; when the Loma Prieta quake hit; it seemed to take forever to get the first news reports and in fact it did take over an hour.

The fact that you are still connected to the internet is a good sign; fiber optic lines and nodes are still functioning.

Oh yes, the "big one" that they keep predicting. Of course one of these times they'll be right....hopefully not in our lifetime. If it hits in No. CA, most of the state looses its water supply as all the delta levees collapse. Not to mention wide spread destruction and death closer in.
melodiccolor
melodiccolor
Admin

Back to top Go down

Earthquake just hit L.A. area 35-40 minutes ago. Empty Re: Earthquake just hit L.A. area 35-40 minutes ago.

Post by waterdragon7 Tue Jul 29, 2008 3:38 pm

melodiccolor wrote:...Oh yes, the "big one" that they keep predicting. Of course one of these times they'll be right....hopefully not in our lifetime. If it hits in No. CA, most of the state looses its water supply as all the delta levees collapse. Not to mention wide spread destruction and death closer in.
Mel, renovating the levees is one of the few things I will not complain about when it's related to paying taxes.

Or more firefighting equipment throughout the state (I've been watching the news about Yosemite lately - is everyone still having problems with the fires in Northern California now, or have more of them been brought under control)?
waterdragon7
waterdragon7

Back to top Go down

Post by melodiccolor Tue Jul 29, 2008 3:49 pm

I'm not sure about June's firestorms; it went on for so long that all the news sources stopped reporting on them. As far as I know, 5 large fire complexes still burn out of control; the one in the American River Canyon; the shasta area one, and the trinity one as well as the one in Big Sur. Others are still burning but under control. The Yosemeti one is still out of control of course and we can see all the smoke.

Today's weather is eerily simular to the day that caused that dry lightening storm. I hope there is enough rain to prevent a repeat of that awful June day.

Add to that earthquakes in your area and oh my, are we living in interesting times. Shocked
melodiccolor
melodiccolor
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by reb Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:28 pm

WD, glad you're ok. i was watching history channel last night.

they said the anchorage ak quake in the 60s moved 30 feet! it sank businesses, cars, houses, you name it. they had pitchers...holy moley! one guy was walking up 'a hill' that used to be half the street carrying stuff out of a 5 and dime; the old 'store roof' was now at street level above....

hope everything is ok there.
r
reb

Location : next to the women on this board so they know where i'm at

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueTopaz Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:23 pm

Glad you're okay WD. That is scary. Hope there aren't anymore aftershocks.

Last edited by BlueTopaz on Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
BlueTopaz
BlueTopaz

Back to top Go down

Post by Nucky Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:31 pm

Glad you're ok WD.
Nucky
Nucky
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by SimplyNan Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:35 pm

I just read about that on-line and they said there were no serious injuries or deaths, thankfully. Anyway, WD, glad to hear are okay.
SimplyNan
SimplyNan

Back to top Go down

Post by waterdragon7 Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:33 pm

Thank you to everyone for your concern. Think I'll be alright, though, considering I just posted the following in Nucky's "What are you listening to right now" thread in "Bubble Bath":

"Whole Lotta Shakin' Goin' On," by Jerry Lee Lewis, for obvious reasons. tongue
waterdragon7
waterdragon7

Back to top Go down

Post by melodiccolor Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:38 pm

Laughing
melodiccolor
melodiccolor
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down