The HSP Dimension: Expressions of Highly Sensitive People
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Changes in how Google/Facebook handle your information

5 posters

Go down

Changes in how Google/Facebook handle your information Empty Changes in how Google/Facebook handle your information

Post by Samt03 Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:31 pm

Key points are in bold.

Mandatory changes for Facebook, Google users reignite debate

Facebook and Google users: Your social media and online life is about to change, and there's almost nothing you can do about it.

Facebook is rolling out Timeline, a scrapbook-like profile page that gathers every post a user has made and arranges them by year, while Google is making changes to its privacy policies that some see as the latest attack against Internet users.

Google announced it is merging the privacy policies covering more than 60 services — including search, Gmail, YouTube and calendar — into one unified document effective March 1. The new document gives Google the power to take user information from all its services and use that data to learn about a user. The only way users can opt out of the policy is to close their Google accounts.

Google's decision has prompted concern among privacy advocates including Rep. Edward J. Markey, a Democrat from Massachusetts and former chairman of the Subcommittee on Telecommunications and the Internet, who said in a statement that the move raises "important questions about how much control Google users will have over their personal information."

Christopher Gatewood, a media and intellectual property attorney with Richmond-based Threshold Counsel, says the change is the price users pay for using Google.

"For Google, it's a matter of serving up better data for each user, across services," he said. "That gives some people the creeps, so they will want to decide how much personal data to run through any Google service.

"It's a new cost of using Google's services, which are free or very cheap," he said. "Nobody likes new costs, monetary or otherwise, but it's not like they are going to start publishing all Gmail emails."

Gatewood warns that everyone should be aware of how their information is used online.

"You should assume that your online movements and anything you type into any online service will be data-mined and stored somewhere," he said. "And that's nothing new. It's where it's tied to your identity and a lot of other personal information that the big privacy concerns arise. It is more important than ever to be an informed online consumer."

Like Google, Facebook's radical redesign of user profiles via Timeline has raised new issues about users' activities.

While Timeline has been available to certain users since late last year, it soon will become mandatory for everyone, according to Facebook's corporate blog. Users will get a week to preview the changes and adjust the privacy setting of any posts they don't want others — such as relatives and employers — to see.

Marcus Messner, a professor at Virginia Commonwealth University who specializes in social media, says users should use their preview time to review their posts.

"While Timeline does not change a Facebook user's privacy settings, it makes previously hidden content newly available," he said. "Let's say you made an outrageous comment during the 2008 presidential election that was long forgotten because visitors to the profile would have to dig through page after page to get to it. Through the features of Timeline, this comment now becomes accessible again."

Facebook users should always be cognizant of their privacy settings, Messner says.

"People, especially teenagers and college students, need to understand that they should protect their identity on social media by enabling their privacy settings," he said. "A Facebook profile should not be available to be viewed by anyone, but only by people you know and trust."

Reaction to Timeline is split on the Richmond Times-Dispatch's Facebook page. Most users are more concerned with the new design rather than privacy.

Jennifer Salmon Melton, a former Richmond resident now living in Charlotte, N.C., says she likes Timeline.

"I love the overall appearance of it," she said. "I also like the way topics are grouped and organized. With any new application there is a slight learning curve, but it works for me."

She also said she's not concerned about any of her early posts being revealed through Timeline.

"I've always felt like, if I didn't want my employer, a future employer or my mother, for that matter, to read it, then I shouldn't post it," she said.

Thomas McDonald, an executive member of Richmond's Social Media Club, says Facebook members have little to fear from Timeline.

"Those who typically don't like when Facebook changes will have their doubts about the 'opening up' of all their past updates, but I think most people will find that there's nothing to worry about," he said.

"For me, I found that most of my posts between 2005 and 2008 revolved around season-ending losses for my Cowboys."

Link: http://www2.timesdispatch.com/news/2012/jan/27/tdmain01-facebook-google-to-change-ar-1643629/

Samt03
Samt03

https://www.amazon.com/author/showndraridge

Back to top Go down

Changes in how Google/Facebook handle your information Empty Re: Changes in how Google/Facebook handle your information

Post by melodiccolor Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:49 pm

OK, the biggest question I have about all of this is Google....mining data, does that include the CONTENTS of emails or just account information? Huge difference but neither is acceptable. I guess I won't be using their email services for now.
melodiccolor
melodiccolor
Admin

Back to top Go down

Changes in how Google/Facebook handle your information Empty Re: Changes in how Google/Facebook handle your information

Post by Samt03 Fri Jan 27, 2012 5:01 pm

It's worded like it's everything posted, including the contents of e-mails. I'm actually not sure. I'll dig around later tonight and see if I can find out.
Samt03
Samt03

Back to top Go down

Post by melodiccolor Fri Jan 27, 2012 5:13 pm

Thanks, that distinction is very important. As far as FB goes, their whole purpose is to mine data they get of people's lives, make thorough profiles and sell it. It is extremely profitable and I've read Google wishes to profit as well.

I say as little as I can on FB for that reason.
melodiccolor
melodiccolor
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by melodiccolor Fri Jan 27, 2012 5:17 pm

Oh I just realised some delicious irony; this thread is in open forum. Google is going to mine this as are other search engines. So news of what Google is going to do will be on their site forever. Perfect.
melodiccolor
melodiccolor
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Samt03 Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:13 pm

Hmm I posted a link to the story on facebook as well, guess it will be forever in my facebook history too.
Samt03
Samt03

Back to top Go down

Post by tezorian Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:16 pm

Regarding the content of emails, it has not been confirmed. There has been some discussion on keyword "scanning" of emails. To get an idea of the content for advertising. Same as is done with gmail. Even when they did scan the content completely, they will never admit to it. Just wondering... how can you just scan for keywords, without seeing the entire content?
tezorian
tezorian
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by melodiccolor Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:02 pm

Good question. It is an invasion of privacy in any case and not acceptable.
melodiccolor
melodiccolor
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by paintdeer30 Sat Jan 28, 2012 12:52 am

I'm shocked i noticed when I looked in my photo gallery on my phone and I wondered why I was seeing photos from my blogs and they are connected with goggle. I disabled the web history. I don't like how they can pull information from my phone it's sick! i may disabled my gmail account but i sure love youtube! wahh! i will keep a close watch on this.
paintdeer30
paintdeer30

http://anniesartphotography.shutterfly.com/pictures

Back to top Go down

Post by Samt03 Sat Jan 28, 2012 2:37 am

Hmm rather interesting thought, if I e-mail someone who has a gmail account, from one of mine, will google pick up on what I say such as my info even though I personally do not own a gmail account.

Same if I get a paypal payment from someone with gmail... will google have my paypal and name and addy then?
Samt03
Samt03

Back to top Go down

Post by melodiccolor Sat Jan 28, 2012 2:39 am

Yes..if they data mine emails. It is totally unacceptable. They can mine and sell account information in business emails too.
melodiccolor
melodiccolor
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Samt03 Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:06 pm

e-mail from google:

Subject: Changes to Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service

Body:
Dear Google user,

We're getting rid of over 60 different privacy policies across Google and replacing them with one that's a lot shorter and easier to read. Our new policy covers multiple products and features, reflecting our desire to create one beautifully simple and intuitive experience across Google.

We believe this stuff matters, so please take a few minutes to read our updated Privacy Policy and Terms of Service at http://www.google.com/policies. These changes will take effect on March 1, 2012.

One policy, one Google experience

Easy to work across Google
Our new policy reflects a single product experience that does what you need, when you want it to. Whether you're reading an email that reminds you to schedule a family get-together or finding a favorite video that you want to share, we want to ensure you can move across Gmail, Calendar, Search, YouTube, or whatever your life calls for with ease.

Tailored for you
If you're signed into Google, we can do things like suggest search queries – or tailor your search results – based on the interests you've expressed in Google+, Gmail, and YouTube. We'll better understand which version of Pink or Jaguar you're searching for and get you those results faster.

Easy to share and collaborate
When you post or create a document online, you often want others to see and contribute. By remembering the contact information of the people you want to share with, we make it easy for you to share in any Google product or service with minimal clicks and errors.
Protecting your privacy hasn't changed

Our goal is to provide you with as much transparency and choice as possible, through products like Google Dashboard and Ads Preferences Manager, alongside other tools. Our privacy principles remain unchanged. And we'll never sell your personal information or share it without your permission (other than rare circumstances like valid legal requests).

Got questions?
We've got answers.
Visit our FAQ at http://www.google.com/policies/faq to read more about the changes. (We figured our users might have a question or twenty-two.)

Notice of Change
March 1, 2012 is when the new Privacy Policy and Terms will come into effect. If you choose to keep using Google once the change occurs, you will be doing so under the new Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.

That answers some questions...
Samt03
Samt03

Back to top Go down

Post by melodiccolor Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:15 pm

Yes it does. OK, I feel better about using gmail now.
melodiccolor
melodiccolor
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by amuletts Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:43 pm

It still kinda bothers me, just generally, that *all* the services I use online are being taken over by Google. Not that I dislike Google - I think they're pretty cool - but I do fear monopolys. And keeping all my eggs in one basket.
amuletts
amuletts

http://epicfail.xepher.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum