The HSP Dimension: Expressions of Highly Sensitive People
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Certain Sadness

5 posters

Go down

A Certain Sadness Empty A Certain Sadness

Post by citrine Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:40 pm

We see so much apathy, disrespect and contempt these days. It involves USA military, USA politics, USA teachers, USA police officers, USA business, et cetera. Though none of these is perfect, they are and should be admired, respected and held in regard, to some degree.

It gives me A Certain Sadness to see how so many take our bounty in the USA for granted with nothing good given in return. Sad
citrine

Back to top Go down

A Certain Sadness Empty Re: A Certain Sadness

Post by melodiccolor Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:38 pm

Personally, I have much respect for the people at the front lines, the soldiers, police, firefighters, etc. Also in business, the innovators and inventors who make our lives better, especially if in doing so they also help lessen the impact we have on this earth.

And there are a few in politics who genuinely care about their job and are somewhat idealistic. They have my hope and respect as long as they remain uncorrupted.

But so many of those in power do not deserve my respect in politics and large businesses. I have witnessed them over the years again and again put their own interests above the interests of those they are supposed to serve; in the case of the public sector, the people of this country, and in the case of large businesses, business and fair competition itself. They often put short term gains and profits ahead of long term consequences and loss; most times when the loss is many many times worse than the short term gain. I do not respect out of control greed for either wealth or power.
melodiccolor
melodiccolor
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by reb Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:24 pm

i agree, citrine. i feel it myself. our civilization is on the 'downslide'.
reb
reb

Location : next to the women on this board so they know where i'm at

Back to top Go down

Post by SimplyNan Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:26 pm

Maybe I'm just plain cynical or maybe I've been around the block one to many times. That said, the common folks, I mostly have a high regard for them because they are trying to make do in a world gone mad. While I don't support the war, I do support the people over there fighting it. Many of them did not have a choice, they just had to go. Especially the reservists. People who risk their lives for others, yeah, I am grateful to them for all they do. However, our politicians, mostly are a bunch of elitist clowns who are giving everything to the corporations, who then take everything and move to some other country to get cheaper labor. Yeah, thanks a lot, folks, for taking jobs away from the American people. That is so kind of you to do it. Meanwhile, people here are scraping to get by. Look what happened to the housing market -- it went belly up. We the people have been told that the solution to all our problems is to go out and buy something. Feeling bad - buy a new plasma TV. Can't afford it, no problem, charge it. That's special. Especially when you have to pay the bill. Everyone wants a new car. Everyone used to want a big gas guzzler, which the businesses told us we should have. Yeah, advertising, all it is is mind washing. You must buy whatever. Now people are stuck with the gas guzzlers because they can't afford the gas. Once more, we the people are left holding the bag. Me, I don't buy into the crud. One of the main reasons I don't have a TV and when I listen to radio, it's the local community radio station (which I am blessed to have near me). My brain has been tampered enough with chemo and I certainly don't need any other outside sources working their brain washing techniques on it.

That said, there are a few politicians who are trying to make a difference, Kucinich comes to mind. At least he's trying to do something other than feed the corporate coffers.

Apathy happens when people feel they are not being heard, that there is no recourse for them. When the politicians start listening and hearing and responding, maybe some of that will go away. But when it becomes too deeply ingrained, well, I don't know if it can ever be totally made to go away. Trust works but only if its a two-way street. The politicians keep saying to trust them and then they screw the working class totally.

Like I said, I've been around quite a while (probably the oldest one on this board) and seen a lot. What I've learned is that the only person I can change is me and I've made a lot of changes in my life. Mostly I don't respond to stuff like this because in following a more spiritual and simple lifestyle, I've learned to detach. All it does it raise my blood pressure. But there are reasons that people feel apathetic, disrespectiful, etc. Valid reasons, all gathered from experience.
SimplyNan
SimplyNan

Back to top Go down

Post by citrine Fri Jun 27, 2008 2:08 pm

It is still a choice.
citrine

Back to top Go down

Post by melodiccolor Fri Jun 27, 2008 3:38 pm

True, citrine, it is still a choice. Some of us have been having an ongoing debate on how to fight apathy, and get people motivated to get involved and help change things for the better.

btw, Nan, I am not at all sure you are the oldest one on the board; quite a few of us are about your age. Wink I felt all of your points were valid.
melodiccolor
melodiccolor
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by reb Fri Jun 27, 2008 6:58 pm

that's really the point....everything is choice. Nan makes the choice to detach, and it's a good one. i'm not quite completely detached yet.....but detaching is choice, too. we don't have to be 'bent' by this mess. we can let ourselves 'be in it, but not of it'.....

i choose to go feed my family, have al il supper myself, and go work on my dtich awhile....y'all take care.
reb
reb

Back to top Go down

Post by StrawberryLife Sat Jun 28, 2008 6:37 pm

Citrine, I am not from the USA, but 'a certain apathy' can be detected here in Europe too... I come from an ex-communist country where apathy was encouraged & people were prohibited to think with their own heads (too much)... It can definitely still be seen now...

There is definitely some disrespect of teachers here too, & it is a sad thing... Some politicians & some businessmen here do not deserve much respect though... I'm not sure what it's like overthere, but am guessing something similar... Some do deserve respect & some don't... Well, everyone deserves some respect for being a human being... But some people's actions may not warrant much trust... or much respect...

I do think that USA business is held in quite high regard... at least from overseas... But again, it depends on individual companies etc & how they do their work...

Is there any specific reason why this angers/saddens you so much?

I also think it's good to be a bit weary from jumping to conclusions too quickly sometimes too... While some people may be 'spoilt' &/or unaware of sacrifices of others etc. some may just have different opinions & express them freely... & it is a good thing that this is possible!! (think of the alternatives!) Criticism does not necessarily imply lack of love &/or respect... If you think someone is terrible you will likely not bother to give them ideas on how to improve, no? (But I agree many people need to learn what 'constructive criticism' is... Saying 'you suck' isn't constructive, pointing out ways to improve & acknowledging the good is...)

The 'break down of authority' is partly good, & partly bad... On the plus side, freedom of thinking & exploring different options is encouraged... Teachers/politicians/... have to earn respect, it does not just come automatically with the territory anymore... This can suck sometimes (I've done some teaching in the past) but good people can still prove themselves! (even if it may be a bit harder than in the past...)
It is possible to admire/respect someone for certain things, but disagree totally about other things... (It's not easy but it seems possible, & may be the ideal to strive to...)

I think it is a global phenomenon... Our society is changing... So much information is everywhere... This really changes things a lot... Some people are also just confused & don't know how to go about it all...

I'm very glad people have more environmental consciousness than in the past... So at least in this area things seem to be a bit improving... (in some regards...) I find it very difficult to respect companies & politicians who accept bad decisions with regard to environment & health of people... I'm trying really hard to change that & see the good in them too, as this may be the only way to maybe someday make a difference, but it's not easy... Smile

I'm very glad you find respect in all of the above... & admire you for that... Maybe you could share some tips how to do that even if you know someone is totally wrong about something, or did really bad things & such? Smile
This is a thing I've been sorta struggling with lately too...
StrawberryLife
StrawberryLife

Back to top Go down

Post by citrine Sun Jun 29, 2008 12:33 pm

'It' saddens me because my family has a long history of military service. My husband, father-in-law and cousin proudly served. I see the wonderful and positive impact it has had on them. Oftentimes, we 'sit on the back porch' after supper and are joined by friends or neighbors. The conversation ranges from family things to current news to space exploration to . . . well, it is never boring, but never upsetting, either. I love all of these people.

I grew up in UK, visiting USA some, but all education in UK. My parents lived in Georgia, USA, most of that time, but we were close. They are both Naturalized USA citizens, as am I. They instilled in me a strong respect of authority from an early age. That does not happen much today. Parents seem quick to accuse 'teacher', et c, when their child gets in trouble. Not a good thing, in my humble opinion. Not a good thing at all.

Respect for others and other things, living and not is the only tip I might have. I am not a sheep and have no respect for murderers, child rapists and cop killers, among other creepy lowlifes. For them I suggest and espouse the death penalty, as their appropriate punishment.
citrine

Back to top Go down

Post by StrawberryLife Wed Jul 02, 2008 8:35 pm

Yeah, I agree that army can have a good effect on people... I saw it on some people too... & my Dad & many other men here still loove to reminisce about the time they spent in the army, when it was still obligatory service here...

Interesting that you grew up in UK!! You did sound very 'American' to begin with!!

I do love UK too... Only been there 1x so far, & just in Edinburgh & London, (& Dublin which is in Ireland) but really loved both!!

Respect is a good thing, yeah... Well, I'm no sheep either... Smile Though I'm a 'maverick' by horoscope, lol! We'll have to disagree on death penalty though.. I do agree the problems you mentioned are severe, & hope there will be better solutions & better prevention of that in the future...
A very good friend & I had to just agree to disagree about that one too... We are all different & have different beliefs, & well, wouldn't life be just boring if we were all the same, saying exactly the same thing? Smile
StrawberryLife
StrawberryLife

Back to top Go down

Post by reb Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:25 pm

SB,
i agree with everything you said.
reb
reb

Back to top Go down