The HSP Dimension: Expressions of Highly Sensitive People
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Well...this time Microsoft is buying Skype

3 posters

Go down

Well...this time Microsoft is buying Skype Empty Well...this time Microsoft is buying Skype

Post by melodiccolor Tue May 10, 2011 7:32 pm

melodiccolor
melodiccolor
Admin

Back to top Go down

Well...this time Microsoft is buying Skype Empty Re: Well...this time Microsoft is buying Skype

Post by RBM Tue May 10, 2011 10:08 pm

From the link:

Microsoft simply has so much cash it doesn't know what to do with and, for whatever reasons, paying bigger dividends and buying back stock are just not options

The real deep question that would likely shed a Sun's worth of light on the topic, is why aren't those options ?
RBM
RBM

Back to top Go down

Well...this time Microsoft is buying Skype Empty Re: Well...this time Microsoft is buying Skype

Post by melodiccolor Tue May 10, 2011 11:06 pm

RBM wrote:From the link:

Microsoft simply has so much cash it doesn't know what to do with and, for whatever reasons, paying bigger dividends and buying back stock are just not options

The real deep question that would likely shed a Sun's worth of light on the topic, is why aren't those options ?

Indeed, wondering that myself.
melodiccolor
melodiccolor
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by waterdragon7 Wed May 11, 2011 10:28 am

To: MC and RBM,

I listen to quite a few tech podcasts over the course of a week on my mp3 player, since the ones I enjoy are all available as free downloads, either daily or weekly.

One person participating in a roundtable discussion from one such podcast, suggested this is really a pre-emptive strike by Microsoft. Essentially, that Google and Amazon are both interested in providing VoIP services themselves, so Microsoft purchased Skype to keep Skype's intellectual property out of the hands of either Amazon or Google.
waterdragon7
waterdragon7

Back to top Go down

Post by RBM Wed May 11, 2011 5:12 pm

I've heard for a long time VOIP was the next big thing. It's a no brainer for MS if they are really flush with cash and the other choices are off the table for whatever reason.

So, it sounds totally plausible to me.
RBM
RBM

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum