The HSP Dimension: Expressions of Highly Sensitive People
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

On becoming (semi-)vegetarian

5 posters

Go down

On becoming (semi-)vegetarian Empty On becoming (semi-)vegetarian

Post by citrine Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:35 am

Beef is not a favorite of mine. (I can barely say the terrible word, 'veal'.) Even though my dear husband loves beef and he gets an 'A' in grilling, I would like to try to give it up. Can you suggest anything?
citrine

Back to top Go down

On becoming (semi-)vegetarian Empty Re: On becoming (semi-)vegetarian

Post by SimplyNan Fri Jun 20, 2008 12:12 pm

If you want to continue eating meat, switch to poultry and seafood. If not, lordy, there are tons of options. You can substitute grains and beans, eat lots more veggies and fruits (which is actually very good for you anyway). As to meats, try to get the meats that don't have hormones and antibiotics and all that stuff added to them. They are sooooo bad for you. And if possible, grass fed is much better than grain fed. Organic is better than non organic. When you want to switch like this, you need to realize that we have a mind set when it comes to cooking. We pretty much do whatever we learned to do. When we expand outwards from there, it is normal to feel a certain amount of trepidation. As you get more comfortable, it will just start to come naturally.
SimplyNan
SimplyNan

Back to top Go down

Post by melodiccolor Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:36 pm

My husband eats almost nothing but beef. We've been together for 28 years and I've never been able to disuade him of it. Yet, I eat very little red meat. I just end up cooking separate meat dishes. If you want to change both your eating habits, it might be best to start slowly; say 2 less beef dishes per week, using poultry, eggs or seafood instead. Then add one bean based or vegitarian main meal to the mix per week or two. Slowly, change over to a different way of eating. Also, reduce the amount of meat and poultry you eat to 4 to 6 oz per day max. Increase the side dishes to compensate. Be sure to include plenty of whole grains, vegetables and fruits with your meals. Locally grown and in season is best for flavor, nutrition and cost. Neither of you will be hungry. (Fortunately, my H is quite willing to limit the portion size of meat and does enjoy the other dishes.)

Nan is right, if you can, get organic meat whenever possible and follow the other guidelines she suggested.

I hope this all helps.
melodiccolor
melodiccolor
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by reb Fri Jun 20, 2008 6:47 pm

the way i've heard it told, it is not good to go 'whole hog' (pun alert!) into being 'vegetarian'...dropping red meat is the first step, then perhaps poultry, then maybe dairy or eggs or whatever...but it should take a year at each step to let the body adjust is what i read in a linda goodman book, i think. seems reasonable if you're making a major lifestyle change...

reb
reb

Location : next to the women on this board so they know where i'm at

Back to top Go down

Post by StrawberryLife Wed Jul 02, 2008 8:50 pm

I used to be semi-vegetarian for quite a while, & vegetarian for a while too.. I still don't eat that much meat, though more, mainly for health reasons... (strangely enough lol)

I don't really get along well with beef either... so I eat almost none.. Even too much pork (which may still be 'very little' by other people's standards!!) may give me sore joints in the morning or so... (especially salty dried meats! especially in the evening.. lol..)

When I ate no meat & my family did, we just all ate eg potatoes or rice & salad & veggies, but they ate eg beef or pork, & I ate veggie 'burgers' or tofu or such..

It is good to make sure you still get enough protein (eggs or beans/other legumes like lentils-yum! or chickpeas - more yumness!!)
& to eat wholewheat grains & organic stuff when possible...
(I know a few 'chocolate & pasta' vegetarians who didn't even eat many veggies & this could be very unhealthy... & add to weight gain too, &/or other health problems)

Also, you may want to look at your cookbooks 'veggie/legumes/... sections' &/or check the library or buy new (or used) cookbooks... When Dad went into this whole 'healthy food' thing (& cured his rheumatism by eating more healthy, ie less red meat too!!) he got a lot of books on this & studied them, & (slowly) implemented new recipes... There are many recipes online, & some culinary websites, & some vegetarian and vegan websites too... So you might wanna take a look at any of those too... Very Happy

So... Good luck with it!! Depends on what you like to eat too... Smile
StrawberryLife
StrawberryLife

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum