The HSP Dimension: Expressions of Highly Sensitive People
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Cult of Personality

+2
melodiccolor
frmthhrt
6 posters

Go down

The Cult of Personality Empty The Cult of Personality

Post by frmthhrt Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:29 pm

I can't believe this advertisement sold for $35,000,000 ! What are these people on?
Andy Warhol was only ever a mediocre artist, his films were crap...it seems like if you are weird enough, and keep at it for a while, you can at least be be a success in North America.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/art/art-news/8122711/Andy-Warhol-Coke-bottle-sells-for-22-million.html
frmthhrt
frmthhrt

Back to top Go down

The Cult of Personality Empty Re: The Cult of Personality

Post by melodiccolor Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:01 pm

Well, if you look at the whole picture, it is not too surprising. People love the familiar, the hip and the trendy. Objectiveness has no place in art, it is an emotional thing.

I agree, it is not exactly great art...
melodiccolor
melodiccolor
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Reamsie Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:16 pm

It just goes to prove once again just because you have money, doesn't mean you have culture or taste. I don't dislike the artwork, it just doesn't seem like it's something that should be worth 222 million.
Reamsie
Reamsie

Back to top Go down

Post by Nucky Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:25 pm

I think that Andy Warhol was cool as a freak, and the stories about the Factory are kind of intriguing. If I had a time machine, a Velvet Underground Exploding Plastic Inevitable performance would definitely be one of my stops. I've been meaning to check out some of his movies too. But I agree, the painting shouldn't be worth that much money. No painting should be worth that much money.

I remember seeing a painting in a museum (not by Andy Warhol) called "Red" that was nothing more than a bright shade of red painted on a canvas. The painting made quite a bit of money.
Nucky
Nucky
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluedream Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:18 am

I admit to many things I may not 'get'. I don't get why Christo is compelled to 'cover his world in wraps'...but it is cool to behold for a short while on film. Sure gets a lot of 'sponser money'. Must be nice to have that going on for you!
As a form of expression, art has been formost since man began depicting his world on cave walls...along with a signature handprint in red ochre. I suppose I respect anyone's right to 'express' themselves. In a way it is a sort of consciousness of existence. Sort of like leaving our mark that 'we' were really here at all...in this 'reality'.
Still...it's up to the beholder to choose what they enjoy...what they pick to 'cover their own cave walls with'...lol!
b.d.
Bluedream
Bluedream

Back to top Go down

Post by edie Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:48 pm

at least it is something.... drives me crazy when a painting sells for that or more when it was only literally scribbles. i can do scribbles and so can your 5 yr old roflol
edie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum