The HSP Dimension: Expressions of Highly Sensitive People
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Facts About The Homeless American Veteran

+6
citrine
Fairydragon
reb
SimplyNan
melodiccolor
Logan (Earthmaiden)
10 posters

Go down

Facts About The Homeless American Veteran Empty Facts About The Homeless American Veteran

Post by Logan (Earthmaiden) Sat Jun 14, 2008 9:43 pm

Last edited by Merlin on Wed Jul 30, 2008 8:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Logan (Earthmaiden)

Back to top Go down

Facts About The Homeless American Veteran Empty Re: Facts About The Homeless American Veteran

Post by melodiccolor Sat Jun 14, 2008 9:49 pm

My husband is a disabled veteran. We have learned the hard way that getting any kind of help from va depends on what branch of the armed services you served in and at what time. Of those that need services, a small percentage get what they are entitled to, a large percentage get nothing they are entitled to and most just get a fraction. It is a national disgrace and has been so for generations.

In this time of war, such treatment should be headline news, especially the appalling medical treatment veterans get for injuries in the line of duty, both physical and mental. It is not surprising there are so many vets that are homeless; I expect the number to climb quite a bit soon. Mad
melodiccolor
melodiccolor
Admin

Back to top Go down

Facts About The Homeless American Veteran Empty Re: Facts About The Homeless American Veteran

Post by SimplyNan Sun Jun 15, 2008 4:08 pm

Yeah, it's a real travesty okay. They are sent to war and when they are disabled and return home, the government is often shirking its duty in providing medical assistance. And, I just recently read somewhere that women veterans are even worse off then men.
SimplyNan
SimplyNan

Back to top Go down

Post by reb Sun Jun 15, 2008 4:17 pm

the government has come to the point where it does not represent the will of the people it is SUPPOSED to serve. need i say more?
reb
reb

Location : next to the women on this board so they know where i'm at

Back to top Go down

Post by Fairydragon Wed Jun 18, 2008 10:00 pm

...listening to Noory KFI last night. Couldn't sleep, they had this Joyce Riley on there, evidently she's a real champion for veterans, having been one herself. Sooo many health problems, so few people seem to care about the vets, use 'em and throw 'em away basically and yet they still go fight these crazy wars. They get used for guinea pigs. Check out this website:

[url]beyondtreason.com[/url]
Fairydragon
Fairydragon

Back to top Go down

Post by reb Thu Jun 19, 2008 4:30 pm

i guess i will tell this story....

i worked for the va for about 3 years. just befoere i retired.

somehow, vets would get my phone number-the direct line to my desk....we'd have the usual pleasantries (mostly), and i'd say 'how can i help you?'....some of these people were in their 70s and 80s. they had tried to get through the va electronic phone system, and wound up talking to me (i was in in contracts). so, i would tell them 'give me your phone number. i'll go tot he patient advocates office, and give them your number. if they don't call you in three days, you call me back at this number (and i'd give 'em my direct line)' -sometimes, if i got called back, i'd put their phone number in microsoft calendar, and have it pull in three or four days, and if i called the vet, and they said no one'd called 'em, i'd go over to the hospital administrator's office....

after a few months of this, my boss (a sycophant anus sucker of the highest quality) said to me as i'm walking down the hall....'where are you going?' (nasty...always officious and nasty...he'd been in the army...wth? did they steal his brain AND his manners?) and i told him about the older vets and how they were getting messed up by the system. he went to freaking out, told me i dint have time fort his, ordered me to go back to my office (like i've got on olive drab-kma), refer them to the main number, etc.....i tried to tell him THEY HAD CALLED THE GD MAIN NUMBER! and that's how they wound up confused and frustrated...i also told him 'this is THE VETERAN'S ADMINISTRATION! we are here to help vets!' like talking to a brick wall.....

the second time he caught me, he threatened to write me up.....so, from then on, i told him i was going for a tb test, hadda see a doc about a contract....made up stuff....it wasn't more than a few months than they were trying to discipline me because of this and several other issues they either made up, or tried to manufacture by setting me up, and i had to get the union involved....nastiest place, except for the department of the interior, that i ever worked....as far as i am concerned, these lying self centered penny ante bureaucrats make up idiocy with their 'policies' and egos-this country will not sustain itself the way these people are running it....and the two 'candydates' we now have are just another example...ok, soapbox down, going home...

it's THE SYSTEM! not the Constitution, but the BUREAUCRACY. do with it what you will, that's the facts, jack! (thank you, mr. murray)

reb
reb

Back to top Go down

Post by melodiccolor Thu Jun 19, 2008 4:49 pm

Reb knows my story and my H's story. So he KNOWS just how much I agree with this.

We're presently living the nightmare that is military and va bureaucracy.
melodiccolor
melodiccolor
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by citrine Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:23 am

All homeless people make us sad.
My husband is a veteran, as are many other family members (of all ages). We belong to the American Legion (I am in the Auxilliary.). I have met so many wonderful people who have lots of experience with the VA. A big part of the problem seems to be government funding.
citrine

Back to top Go down

Post by reb Fri Jun 20, 2008 7:05 pm

citrine,

i don't think it's the 'funding' per se...iow, more money won't solve the problems...it's how inefficient and wasteful the bureaucracy is of the money they get....i negotiated contracts up to multi million $, and sometimes was yelled at for knocking the price down...the whole system is twisted by the nepotism, under the table contributions, influence peddling, and doesn't pay attention or care about 'we, the people'....this is what i gather from more than a quarter century working for, i think, 5 presidents...and a host of different bureaucratic slobs in between...lol!

i will have to say...we are bankrupt. if you look at income, vs. 'what we owe', we have 'no money'. why does the motor keep ticking over with no gas? i wonder when it will just go 'burp' and stop....you shoulda been in my office when clinton shut off the funding to load plants....i was thinking today (talking to a Marine buddy of mine) how i was only one step up from the guys who signed the layoff notices....i was the one who told those guys that there would be no money. the tap turned off....at one place 500 layed off, at another i think it was about 350....and another 100 or so....makes me shiver....i suppose i should feel guilty, but orders are orders in some cases...
reb
reb

Back to top Go down

Post by citrine Sat Jun 21, 2008 10:40 am

reb, you are absolutely right about funding per se. That is true in many areas, particularly schools! Some seem to think that if we throw more money at it, it will be better. Not true. Integrity cannot be bought.
citrine

Back to top Go down

Post by reb Sat Jun 21, 2008 6:47 pm

citrine, but 'lack of integrity' can be bought....lol! we've all seen it...to our utter dismay. Sad
as i say frequently, 'what a world!'

'ya say ya wanna revolution....weeelllll ya know, we all want to change the world.....' john lennon (i like the part whre he suggests 'free your mind instead')
reb
reb

Back to top Go down

Post by SimplyNan Sat Jun 21, 2008 7:37 pm

Free minds?? Where? Just kidding, Reb. I think the heat is starting to enroach on my brain. I do remember that song, however, and yeah, freeing one's mind really does work. Just pretend it's a balloon and let it drift away into the clouds . . .
SimplyNan
SimplyNan

Back to top Go down

Post by melodiccolor Sat Jun 21, 2008 7:46 pm

OMG it's been at least 30 years or more since I heard that song. Nucky, you're our lyrics expert; how about finding the lyrics to this song--it would be great.

Free minds is what we're all about. Cool
melodiccolor
melodiccolor
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nucky Sat Jun 21, 2008 7:57 pm

Revolution - The Beatles

You say you want a revolution
Well you know
We all want to change the world
You tell me that it's evolution
Well you know
We all want to change the world
But when you talk about destruction
Don't you know you can count me out
Don't you know it's gonna be alright
Alright alright
You say you got a real solution
Well you know
We'd all love to see the plan
You ask me for a contribution
Well you know
We're doing what we can
But when you want money for people with minds that hate
All I can tell you is brother you have to wait
Don't you know it's gonna be alright
Alright alright
You say you'll change the constitution
Well you know
We all want to change your head
You tell me it's the institution
Well you know
You better free your mind instead
But if you go carrying pictures of chairman mao
You ain't going to make it with anyone anyhow
Don't you know know it's gonna be alright
Alright alright

I read somewhere that this was an answer song to the rant given at the introduction to the MC5's album "Kick Out The Jams":

Brothers and Sisters, I wanna see ya see ya hands out there, Lemme see ya see ya hands! I want everybody to kick up some noise, I want to hear some revolution out there brothers, I want to hear a little revolution! Brothers and Sisters, the time has come for each and every one of you to decide whether you are gonna be the problem or whether you are going to be the solution (that's right). You must choose brothers, you must choose. It takes 5 seconds, 5 seconds of decision, 5 seconds to realize your purpose here on the planet, it takes 5 seconds to realize that it's time to move, it's time to get down with it. Brothers, it's time to testify and I want to know, are you ready to testify? Are you ready? I give you, a testimonial: The MC5!!
Nucky
Nucky
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by melodiccolor Sat Jun 21, 2008 8:03 pm

Cool It's amazing that the things they were dealing with then are still totally relevant now. The more things change....
melodiccolor
melodiccolor
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by SimplyNan Sat Jun 21, 2008 8:43 pm

Yeah, I've noticed that too, Mel. It's like we're doing this orbit and we come back to dealing with the same old stuff, time and time again.
SimplyNan
SimplyNan

Back to top Go down

Post by reb Sun Jun 22, 2008 1:46 pm

holy smokes! i just had a beatle's anthology on the cd player, and lennon sang this song...when isaw the thread had grown i went 'wow! sychronicity again!' how fitting Smile
reb
reb

Back to top Go down

Post by Fossy Sun Jun 22, 2008 2:06 pm

My bf is a veteran, but he was never in any way. He got out before the first gulf war.

EDIT: Actually I don't know if that classifies him as a true vet or not. But he was talking about getting his VA card.
Fossy
Fossy

http://www.myspace.com/freaklm

Back to top Go down

Post by melodiccolor Sun Jun 22, 2008 3:59 pm

Fossy, a veteran is any person who has served their time in the military. A disabled veteran is one who was harmed during his or her time of service; often repeatedly and severely.

Most homeless veterans were at the very least harmed psychologically and emotionally by what they experienced and can no longer function properly. By this definition they are most definately disabled. This country has a duty to take care of them. It is an outrage and tradgety that it does not in most cases.

Last edited by melodiccolor on Sun Jun 22, 2008 8:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
melodiccolor
melodiccolor
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Fossy Sun Jun 22, 2008 8:08 pm

I agree Melodi. This country definitely does not take care of them like they should. Especially now, it has gotten even worse nowadays IMO.
Fossy
Fossy

http://www.myspace.com/freaklm

Back to top Go down

Post by StrawberryLife Wed Jun 25, 2008 5:22 am

I just heard of this the other day on Slovenian news as well...

Gosh, that is kinda horrible...

Reb, what is a load plant? (like, a power plant? Or for making guns & such?)Got confused by the Google... & yeah, it's hot here already... Smile

I did read those vets were often used as 'guinea pigs' for all sorts of things, yeah.. From drugs 'to function longer/better' to etc.

Yugoslavia & then Slovenia had 'obligatory' army for a long time... All men had to serve... Only a few years ago did we get 'paid army'... for a while, the pay was great so a lot of people signed up... Recently, the pay got sucky, lots of people got out...

I'm guessing most people sign up for the money or...?

(I mean, with so many movies with vets in a terrible state, Tom Cruise & all, & people still get sucked into it-?? Was it because they thought they wouldn't get drafted anyway? Or suckered in by war propaganda like Pearl Harbour & such movies?)
Or do some people still think it's 'the honourable thing to do'? (?)

/No disrespect toward veterans intended, just curious why people still sign up..)
StrawberryLife
StrawberryLife

Back to top Go down

Post by citrine Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:24 pm

Did my post simply 'not go' or was it scratched? Crying or Very sad
citrine

Back to top Go down

Post by Little Sister Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:53 pm

I've been avoiding this topic because it bothers me so much. I've worked with a lot of homeless people, and it's no surprise to you, that quite a few are vets suffering from PTSD. It's hard enough to get assitance for physical wounds, but mental and emotional trauma is largely ignored because it is so pervasive, and easier to deny. Thanks Merlin, for reminding us of the work this foundation does.
Little Sister
Little Sister

Back to top Go down

Post by melodiccolor Wed Jun 25, 2008 4:57 pm

Citrine, when did you post? Did you see the message that it posted successfully? We've been having some technical difficulties; see the sticky over in "The big compfy chair" on it. If you would, please post some details of what happened with your post over on that thread. It would help the host figure out what is going wrong. (I just went back and checked, your 2 previous posts on this thread, on 6/20 and 6/21 are there.)

We don't delete posts here; at most, we move illegal ones to purgatory to meet the requirements of the host and legalities.

SB, the reasons people sign up for the military are many and complex. We haven't had a draft here since the 1970's. But, the government does a fantastic job of selling the idea of a military career and the news downplays the terrible cost most pay in the end.
melodiccolor
melodiccolor
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by citrine Wed Jun 25, 2008 6:12 pm

"SB, the reasons people sign up for the military are many and complex. We haven't had a draft here since the 1970's. But, the government does a fantastic job of selling the idea of a military career and the news downplays the terrible cost most pay in the end."

Oh, yes, many become impaired. I am speaking of other 'fields' too, where terrible costs are paid. I vehemently disagree that most pay a terrible cost. I would say that most do well and many of those have a lifetime occupation. Of course, I can only draw on my family and cousin's experiences and AL veterans we know. My cousin is all of 21 years and will be home (after two tours - second one being his wish) to pursue college and love of family and country. About the AL veterans: some go back to the Nam war era, have problems which they address, yet are productive, love their God and country. Did I say what a joy they are to be around?

Not trying to change anyone's mind here, just going with my experiences. There was a young man in line at Marble Slab recently. We were behind him. He had his four-year-old daughter, wife and baby with him. I was holding my baby and talking to his wife. My husband and he had a happy visit, too. With two artificial legs, even, he talked about his new job with such excitement. Never a whiney complaint. I could go on and on, but I won't. Some of you probably stopped reading after my tenth word up there.
citrine

Back to top Go down

Post by reb Wed Jun 25, 2008 6:56 pm

citrine, no i dint. i read the whole thing. i pulled 27 years, most of it as an army civilian. i met a host of vets of all stripes (there are alot of vets in government civilian service). some of them were troubled, and some were not. i have two neighbors who are vets; one was in 'close combat' (i won't go into detail..i don't think he'd appreciate it); another vet i know who was inn 'close combat' is my adopted brother. neither of them have any 'surface' problems due to their combat, but they don't view life as so sacred as a lot of people who state they are against war. i've come to believe that that is a primary difference; those who have seen people killed in any number lose their view of 'life is so precious as to be ridiculous about it'. in any case, most of the vets i worked with were no more or less well adjusted than anyone else. hell, i'm less well adjusted than some of the 'close combat' vets i have known. met another young man in the gun shop today; he's going 'don't know where', and i won't tell what he told me, but it's likely going to involve shooting-hopefully, it'll be people who want to kill you and me. i wish i was going with him, but i know i coont put up with the command structure...i just don't have it in me to take orders from some suck butt with junk on his/her shoulder (i almost never did-coont grasp the concept of 'respect the rank' when it was a ninnie). he's looking forward to it.

some of my friends have been told they have ptsd. there is a wide, wide range of personalities involved...for some of them, they have nightmares. others have nothing but memories, and still others sublimate it and forget about it; a fair percentage are happy enough even with what they've been through. the responses are as wide in variation as anything else in humanity. for those who have trouble, if we are not going to care for them as a a nation, we should say so. especially, we should stop sending 'foreign aid' if we can't care for our injured veterans...either mental or physical. we owe them our freedoms; we owe our government the lessening of our freedoms. as far as i am concerned, the vets are our very best....i try to thank every one of them i see for their service. having been a dac for that long, i kind of understand some of what they put up with, in addition to getting shot at (i was only ever shot at twice-i was where i shoont have been one time, and the other time, my stupid cousin tried to make rabbit stew out of me..i think he is related to dick cheney...twice was enough for me...)

SB, a 'load plant' loads shells. howitzers, cannon, sometimes navy guns.....they are huge, due to 'distance' requirements (explosive storage), and the curing/loading/cooling processes involved. very few are still in operation; the government 'contracts out' most of that kind of thing now, and typicaly has to execute 'hold harmless' agreements with the companies that run them (too much liability exposure). if you've never seen a load plant, and ever get the chance to, do so; it's fascinating.

reb
reb

Back to top Go down

Post by melodiccolor Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:33 pm

I guess I need to qualify "most"; that generality was inaccurate. It depends on the branch of the military and when and where served on the chances of being harmed. There is so much wrong going on right now that the branch my husband is in has simply labled as classified so I can't talk about it. I have a lot of anger in me over the issue.

My husband is a disabled vet from the vietnam days and again injured as a reservist called to duty in the Iraqi war. Right now, he is fighting a war with the military for what he has discovered is the systematic denial of even basic care for injured soldiers in his branch of the military if they are not going to be able to return to duty. He has proof and wishes to right the wrong. This is a battle I expect to go on for years and he has paid a high toll for what has happend. So my anger runs deep.
melodiccolor
melodiccolor
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Little Sister Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:42 am

Citrine, What you have to say is important to us, and no one will try to silence you by deleting your posts.

So much of how one fares in the military depends on experience and personality. I'm afraid, we HSPs, do particularly poorly in direct combat situations, and are far more susceptible to PTSD and other emotional and psychological problems. Soldiering is not a profession I would recommend for most HSP's, although I know a few who've been O.K. if they find the right niche - working as interpreters, medical personnel, support services, etc.... So it wouldn't surprise me if quite a few of the vets who struggle the most, and wind up on the streets, are highly sensitive people.
Little Sister
Little Sister

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum