The HSP Dimension: Expressions of Highly Sensitive People
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Our technological future

4 posters

Go down

Our technological future Empty Our technological future

Post by Grasshopper Sat Mar 20, 2010 1:26 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cL9Wu2kWwSY

Mind boggling, isn't it? freakout How will HSPs cope?
Grasshopper
Grasshopper

https://sfba.social/@Grasshopper

Back to top Go down

Our technological future Empty Re: Our technological future

Post by edie Sat Mar 20, 2010 1:50 pm

whew,i knew technoligy was getting way ahead of ourselves. but that put it in numbers rofl.just the same the moment you buy a puter off the shelf its allready outdated. it is mind boggeling.
edie

Back to top Go down

Post by melodiccolor Sat Mar 20, 2010 4:58 pm

I'd seen this before and it is startling how fast things have accelerated. But such exponential growth comes at a price of people not being able to make effective use of what is out there because the learning curve to keep up will become too steep for most. At that point, it becomes advantatious business wise for things to slow down or simplify; at least the user interface to all this stuff standardizing so there isn't such a steep learning curve.

As for the population explosion, well, all explosions end at some point.
melodiccolor
melodiccolor
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by waterdragon7 Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:34 pm

melodiccolor wrote:...But such exponential growth comes at a price of people not being able to make effective use of what is out there because the learning curve to keep up will become too steep for most. At that point, it becomes advantagious business wise for things to slow down or simplify; at least the user interface to all this stuff standardizing so there isn't such a steep learning curve...
As far as having a simpler user interface, I'm now using both a Mac and an iPod Touch. While the Touch is much simpler, interface-wise, it is also more "locked down" by Apple. So there are things I can't do with it that I have to go back to the computer to accomplish. At least, for now.

OTOH, with the release of the iPad device in a little over a week, it should be rather interesting to see how people will utilize the device. I've heard a whole lot of pros and cons about this device, even a debate about the chosen name. But the fact remains the interface is much, much simpler to learn than either Mac OS X, Windows 7, or several versions of Linux, etc. Here is but one of many videos regarding the iPad:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ah02m_2xBCg&feature=related

At present, I would not purchase an iPad. However, it might be much more interesting depending upon what software becomes available in the future. If you gave an iPad as a gift, though, to your grandmother or grandfather, or for that matter, a seven-year-old child. I rather doubt it would take that long for them to learn how to use it!

A more interesting question is the U.S. educational system going to change to the point where we continue to innovate, or are the primary technological innovations of the near future going to be based in China, India, and other countries as yet unknown at this time in history?

Adding one other comment I heard on an mp3 round-table tech discussion of both Macs and iPads - one participant noted "tech savvy" people are not going to like the iPad because "mere mortals" can learn how to use it quite rapidly - the "techies" will no longer be the "high priests and priestesses" for their family and friends. Which sounds about right to me.

Last edited by waterdragon7 on Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
waterdragon7
waterdragon7

Back to top Go down

Post by melodiccolor Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:42 pm

Well, perhaps things may become more user friendly at last, but I doubt it will be any time soon.

The ipad is still proprietary, not standardized to nonapple products and very expensive. In short it is sizzling potential and not realised function just yet.

If the US doesn't continue to innovate, someone will and we will continue to reap the benefits. Perhaps one day our kids will go overseas to get a better education, instead of kids coming overseas to get an education here.
melodiccolor
melodiccolor
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by waterdragon7 Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:56 pm

melodiccolor wrote:...The ipad is still proprietary, not standardized to nonapple products and very expensive. In short it is sizzling potential and not realised function just yet...
Oh, as far as innovation, I can tell you what I would like to have right now, but it probably will not exist for the next several decades:

An iPod Touch, but one with which you are not limited to Apple's selection of apps, movies, television shows, etc., from their iTunes store. Storage in the device of at minimum, 64 terabytes of flash RAM, while maintaining the current size. An internal projector which will project any screen size of your choice on a wall or screen, from a wall-sized HD television picture to a ten-inch netbook-sized projection, while retaining the current-sized regular screen. An internal HD television tuner and antenna. An external headset and speakers, tied to the device via improved wireless technology.

A battery which you charge once right after you purchase the device, and then even if you run videos 24/7 for a year, that you only have to charge once a year.

I don't feel that I'm asking for too much in the way of improvements here - does anyone else? tongue

Oops! I forgot - A price no higher than $179.95!
waterdragon7
waterdragon7

Back to top Go down

Post by melodiccolor Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:28 pm

Ah, that would be very nice to have. study thumbsup
melodiccolor
melodiccolor
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content