The HSP Dimension: Expressions of Highly Sensitive People
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Nanotech and the military

+3
Bluedream
SimplyNan
melodiccolor
7 posters

Go down

Nanotech and the military Empty Nanotech and the military

Post by melodiccolor Thu Nov 05, 2009 6:52 pm

Back when I was in NY, I read an article online that made my blood run cold. Military researchers were experimenting with nanotech with the idea of turning living flies into robots. Their goal is to have the nanites hook into the fly's nervous system, controlling its movements and bypassing its brain. They would use them to spy on enemies using microscopic cameras.

The implications of this if they succeed are huge. I seem to recall that they are very close to acheiving this. The pandora's box it opens stuns me.

What do you think of all of this? There are moral and ethical considerations, dangers of developing such a tech, etc. I hardly know where to begin in sorting it all out.
melodiccolor
melodiccolor
Admin

Back to top Go down

Nanotech and the military Empty Re: Nanotech and the military

Post by SimplyNan Thu Nov 05, 2009 8:33 pm

I think there are a ton of moral and ethical type issues that face us on a daily basis. Also, there is absolutely no visioning ahead to consider possible outcomes. This, too, happens most of the time. Then you sort of have to do double duty to clean up the mess. And generally there is quite a cost (and not just in the monetary sense either) as a result. As I've mentioned before, folks such as us (HSPs) are very much needed because for some reason many of us are able to see multiple possibilities. We are the oracles, the sages, the wise people, or rather it was from people such as us that this type of people came from. Too much concentrating on the quick and dirty and not much thought. But, hey, we are in the minority so I don't much expect that the majority would listen to us.
SimplyNan
SimplyNan

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluedream Fri Nov 06, 2009 8:10 am

SimplyNan wrote: We are the oracles, the sages, the wise people, or rather it was from people such as us that this type of people came from. Too much concentrating on the quick and dirty and not much thought. But, hey, we are in the minority so I don't much expect that the majority would listen to us.

This is very true...even though I would gather and bet that an H.S.P. is/was behind the scenes on the creative part of the invention or experiment. We are gifted 'that way'...but not in the unethical use of such strategies.
Its quite clear from a feeling perspective that the use of such methods of spying or warfare comes from a warriour/conqueror mentality; to 'protect the hive' as it were and really not from a sensitive point of view. Although the point can be argued that if it is for the common good of the whole 'culture' it would have to eventually include us. That thought is kind of depressing to me right now though. I would rather try for a better way.
sigh...
b.d.
Bluedream
Bluedream

Back to top Go down

Post by melodiccolor Fri Nov 06, 2009 4:48 pm

I think we would all rather try for a better way. You're both right, there is a lot going on that is destructive. I think this one hit so hard because I can easily imagine this train of events:

The military succeeds and releases flies. An enemy gets word of this and catches one. They reverse engineer and aquire the technology. Now both sides have it and research continues. They apply this tech to animals to control them like robots--these animals are now prisoners of their own bodies, living a nightmare. This technology becomes widespread, much like nuclear bombs. Now some power applies this tech to people, controls whole populations with it eventually.
melodiccolor
melodiccolor
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by waterdragon7 Mon Nov 09, 2009 1:32 am

melodiccolor wrote:...The military succeeds and releases flies. An enemy gets word of this and catches one. They reverse engineer and aquire the technology. Now both sides have it and research continues. They apply this tech to animals to control them like robots--these animals are now prisoners of their own bodies, living a nightmare. This technology becomes widespread, much like nuclear bombs. Now some power applies this tech to people, controls whole populations with it eventually.
A rather long, but very relevant article which applies quite well to your comments here, MC, is:

http://www.primitivism.com/future.htm

Bill Joy's article, "Why The Future Doesn't Need Us" Shocked
waterdragon7
waterdragon7

Back to top Go down

Post by edie Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:24 am

wow no way the saying"wish i could be a fly on the wall" is going to be actually real, that cant be good for us poor folk who knows who will be spy on anyone. whew. crazy
edie

Back to top Go down

Post by melodiccolor Mon Nov 09, 2009 6:24 pm

waterdragon7 wrote:
melodiccolor wrote:...The military succeeds and releases flies. An enemy gets word of this and catches one. They reverse engineer and aquire the technology. Now both sides have it and research continues. They apply this tech to animals to control them like robots--these animals are now prisoners of their own bodies, living a nightmare. This technology becomes widespread, much like nuclear bombs. Now some power applies this tech to people, controls whole populations with it eventually.
A rather long, but very relevant article which applies quite well to your comments here, MC, is:

http://www.primitivism.com/future.htm

Bill Joy's article, "Why The Future Doesn't Need Us" Shocked

That did take quite a while to read, but it is very interesting and eye opening. It also suggests how we as consciences objectors to progress at all costs without ethical considerations may make a difference; he is already attempting to do so himself and points the way.
melodiccolor
melodiccolor
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueTopaz Tue Nov 10, 2009 7:22 am

I just watched a show on the science channel about nanotechnology and how wonderful it will be.
But like you MC, my blood ran cold. Splitting the atom was a wonderful technological breakthrough and look what we did with it.
The medical implications alone are both miraculous and potentially disastrous.

I will read WDs article when I get a moment.

And Nan is so spot on. No vision in seeing the future possibilities and ramifications considering human nature and history. Yes, it is great and necessary to spread our wings and advance our knowledge, push the envelope. But I'm reminded of what that guy said in Jurassic Park: "Just because we can do it, doesn't mean we should do it."
BlueTopaz
BlueTopaz

Back to top Go down

Post by SimplyNan Tue Nov 10, 2009 7:49 pm

"Just because we can do it, doesn't mean we should do it."

Totally agree with that, BT.
SimplyNan
SimplyNan

Back to top Go down

Post by jaded Tue Nov 10, 2009 7:57 pm

I think it is creepy. Another example of the "changes" that scare me. Man should not play God.
jaded
jaded

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum