The HSP Dimension: Expressions of Highly Sensitive People
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What's the point of MBTI?

+4
TheStargazer
jaded
melodiccolor
Nucky
8 posters

Go down

What's the point of MBTI? Empty What's the point of MBTI?

Post by Nucky Sun Jun 21, 2009 5:33 pm

As I've been reading up more about various personality types, I found myself wondering what the point of it all is. Are there really only 16 ways in which people process information? I don't think that I relate very well to any one of the 16 types. I can have INFP-like idealism, an INFJ-like sense of uncanny intuition, an ENFP-like desire to be liked, an INTJ-like appreciation for intelligent and objective discussion, an ISTJ-like (and VERY un-INFP like) fascination with numbers and hard data, and the list goes on.

If I had to pick one of the 16, I guess I'd go with INFP, but it's not a perfect fit by a long shot.
Nucky
Nucky
Admin

Back to top Go down

What's the point of MBTI? Empty Re: What's the point of MBTI?

Post by melodiccolor Sun Jun 21, 2009 9:15 pm

Nucky, no personality type is all one thing and not another. All it describes is tendencies and inborn stregnths. But everyone can do all of those things to a certain extent. It's just that certain tendencies are going to be stronger in you than others; the same for all of us. It doesn't refer to talents or intelligence, but how we process information. The word used "personality" is kind of a deceptive lable because it's not actually referring to personality as people commonly think of it.
melodiccolor
melodiccolor
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jaded Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:43 am

INFP seems to fit me even the flaw parts:
May tend to be shy and reserved
Don't like to have their "space" invaded
Extreme dislike of conflict
Extreme dislike of criticism
Strong need to receive praise and positive affirmation
May react very emotionally to stressful situations
Have difficulty leaving a bad relationship
Have difficulty scolding or punishing others
Tend to be reserved about expressing their feelings
Perfectionistic tendancies may cause them to not give themselves enough credit
Tendency to blame themselves for problems, and hold everything on their own shoulders

It takes alot for me to get upset with someone. Then when I do react I overreact. I tend to deal with things emotionally rather than intellectually.

I stay alone rather than "deal" with people. It is just so much easier.
jaded
jaded

Back to top Go down

Post by Nucky Mon Jun 22, 2009 2:16 pm

I'm not quite sure what to make of MB. Part of me says it's pop-psychology hogwash, and part of me says it explains why I have more trouble communicating with some people than others. It's far from a perfect science, that's for sure.
Nucky
Nucky
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jaded Mon Jun 22, 2009 2:57 pm

nuckinfutz wrote:I'm not quite sure what to make of MB. Part of me says it's pop-psychology hogwash, and part of me says it explains why I have more trouble communicating with some people than others. It's far from a perfect science, that's for sure.

Ya know Erik that has always been my problem. I don't actually completely FIT any mold. It leaves me feeling like an outsider. Is that what you mean?
jaded
jaded

Back to top Go down

Post by Nucky Mon Jun 22, 2009 2:59 pm

Exactly. There are much more than just 16 ways in which people process information. And tests are so inaccurate; my test results have been all over the place. I've tested as INFP, INFJ, ENFP, ENFJ, and INTP before.
Nucky
Nucky
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TheStargazer Mon Jun 22, 2009 3:45 pm

I actually think things like MBTI are...crap. At least when it comes to my own life and personality.

I don't really like labels though...even with HSP. I get kind of exhausted considering the idea of tracing my traits back to a label just for labeling's sake.
TheStargazer
TheStargazer

Back to top Go down

Post by jaded Mon Jun 22, 2009 4:18 pm

nuckinfutz wrote:Exactly. There are much more than just 16 ways in which people process information. And tests are so inaccurate; my test results have been all over the place. I've tested as INFP, INFJ, ENFP, ENFJ, and INTP before.

Maybe they are inacurate because peoples views change with moods & circumstance.
jaded
jaded

Back to top Go down

Post by Justin Passing Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:01 am

seashell wrote:
nuckinfutz wrote:Exactly. There are much more than just 16 ways in which people process information. And tests are so inaccurate; my test results have been all over the place. I've tested as INFP, INFJ, ENFP, ENFJ, and INTP before.

Maybe they are inacurate because peoples views change with moods & circumstance.
People can't be reduced to a mathematical formula, and in a sense that's what the popular conception of Meyer-Briggs tends to do. If you realize that it's only vague general categories, and that everyone is actually a rather unique individual, it can be useful & interesting. But if you forget that (as most do), it becomes a boxy monster that makes all of us feel like misunderstood aliens from another planet.
Justin Passing
Justin Passing
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Little Sister Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:31 am

Personality tests like the MBTI can be fun and provide some insight into ourselves and others, but it’s not hard science. OTH, I think there is more validity to it than astrology or tarot cards (sorry Adain).

It’s very clear to me that people do have different styles of behaving and relating to others. It’s like being left or right-handed. We can use both hands, but usually one hand is stronger and more dominant than the other. Likewise at a party, I will usually be the wall-flower and not the life-of-the-party. It’s not that I can’t joke and be the center of attention, but I’m simply not comfortable or adept at behaving that way. MBTI is one way of classifying or describing those differences in personality.
Little Sister
Little Sister

Back to top Go down

Post by adain Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:17 pm

*snickers*at HP. Tarot is just a tool in my tool box.
Nucky, MBTI profiles are just guidelines not the rule book. Officially I test INXP, but ya know I'm big dirty feeler (LOL).
adain
adain

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:43 am

For me, I'm finding that MBTI isn't very accurate for me... I've tested as INTP, ISTP, ENTP, ENFP, INFP, and ESFP... It all was dependent on my mood at the time. I finally just decided to read the profiles and see which one fit the best for me... And it came down to an ENFP and an ESFP... The thing I hate is for some reason when you say ESFP some people assume you are an airhead that doesn't know anything. Sad
Harmony
Harmony

https://www.facebook.com/kymbirleigh

Back to top Go down

Post by melodiccolor Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:09 pm

That's a shame about those assumptions. I definately don't get airhead from you, from either board. Actually, after getting to know a couple of ENFPs in person with my local hsp meetup group fairly well, I'm getting readings off you that says you process things simularly.

I think one of them also strattles the N/S line as well a bit. It allows her to use both thinking styles.
melodiccolor
melodiccolor
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum