The HSP Dimension: Expressions of Highly Sensitive People
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Superficial people get "served", so to speak.

+5
Bluedream
TheStargazer
Grasshopper
melodiccolor
Nucky
9 posters

Go down

Superficial people get "served", so to speak. Empty Superficial people get "served", so to speak.

Post by Nucky Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:53 pm

Nucky
Nucky
Admin

Back to top Go down

Superficial people get "served", so to speak. Empty Re: Superficial people get "served", so to speak.

Post by Nucky Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:11 am

The really sad thing about this is that any record company she ends up with would LOVE to have some 18-year-old ditz lipsync for her if they could get away with it.
Nucky
Nucky
Admin

Back to top Go down

Superficial people get "served", so to speak. Empty Re: Superficial people get "served", so to speak.

Post by melodiccolor Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:29 am

Here's a prime example of "you can't judge a book by its cover".

There is so much more to a person than outward appearance.
melodiccolor
melodiccolor
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Grasshopper Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:22 pm

Susan is fabulous! So much presence...
Grasshopper
Grasshopper

https://sfba.social/@Grasshopper

Back to top Go down

Post by TheStargazer Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:51 pm

this kind of rubs me the wrong way, the way the world is so astonished and impressed...every story I've read/heard makes me feel like the message is "wow, not ALL physically "unattractive" people have nothing to offer!" rather than inspired because of this woman...I guess I don't comprehend why it should be an inspiring story simply because this woman isn't commercial-looking (of course I understand WHY, but at the same time, I just don't get it)
TheStargazer
TheStargazer

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluedream Thu Apr 23, 2009 5:39 am

TheStargazer wrote:this kind of rubs me the wrong way, the way the world is so astonished and impressed...every story I've read/heard makes me feel like the message is "wow, not ALL physically "unattractive" people have nothing to offer!" rather than inspired because of this woman...I guess I don't comprehend why it should be an inspiring story simply because this woman isn't commercial-looking (of course I understand WHY, but at the same time, I just don't get it)

I kind of thought that too...
and the "mainstream" churns this thought out to the unconscious masses; to be talented and attractive is the goal we should seek.
Must be a lot of "ordinary greatness" untapped yet...lol! The story makes me think of a gapers block in busy traffic; you don't want to look...but look you must.
I'm sort of happy for her "nose thumbing" ...so to speak...but why the big deal?
D.
Bluedream
Bluedream

Back to top Go down

Post by SimplyNan Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:45 pm

I concur with Dan and Stargazer. Lordy, people are so taken up with appearances, it really is such a shame. Susan is not like everyone else and I think that makes her very special, indeed.
SimplyNan
SimplyNan

Back to top Go down

Post by Nucky Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:56 pm

I agree, but I'm not at all surprised by peoples' reactions. I see the publicity about this as a good thing, maybe some people can learn from this.
Nucky
Nucky
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Luna Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:44 pm

I think it's a good lesson to society in general about how much we judge others on appearance. In that video clip you can see the look on the judges faces and the derision of the crowd in general. I just think it's immensely telling and satisfying in some ways to see their jaws drop and how they are so moved because it was so darn unexpected. I think it feels good for a lot of us who may have been overlooked and judged because we were quiet or maybe didn't quite fit in.
Luna
Luna

Back to top Go down

Post by SimplyNan Sat Apr 25, 2009 3:09 pm

Amen to your post, Luna. Although, I did notice something today that said she has had a "makeover". She also now has some kind of "hunky" bodyguard. Sigh.
SimplyNan
SimplyNan

Back to top Go down

Post by melodiccolor Sat Apr 25, 2009 4:22 pm

*Sigh* indeed. Somehow though, it's not too surprising.
melodiccolor
melodiccolor
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Little Sister Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:32 pm

I absolutely loved this story, too.

Over the years I've marveled at how so many people make a name for themselves simply on appearance and outrageousness, more than talent.
Little Sister
Little Sister

Back to top Go down

Post by Nucky Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:04 am

She's already developing a really bad case of diva itis. I'm really starting to dislike her, and I'm not at all surprised that she didn't win.
Nucky
Nucky
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Safari Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:14 am

I disagree. I think it would be extremely difficult to go from being a 'nobody' to being constantly hounded by the worldwide media and public in such a short space of time. I know I would hate it. There would be NO privacy. Fine if you work your way up to that slowly, but for Susan Boyle, it was very, very sudden - from one extreme to the other. I think she coped admirably well, and falling apart the way she apparently did this past week would be totally expected for someone in her situation. The pressure on her must have been absolutely enormous. I could see it in both her semi-final and final performances. She was very gracious when the winner was announced. I'm kind of glad she didn't win, for her own sake. I think it will relieve the pressure somewhat, but I don't think we've seen the last of her. I will certainly buy her CD if she puts one out.
Safari
Safari

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum