The HSP Dimension: Expressions of Highly Sensitive People
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

preventing dog attacks

2 posters

Go down

preventing dog attacks Empty preventing dog attacks

Post by reb Tue May 20, 2008 8:50 am

since i have managed to get 'bluffed' by several big dogs, and bitten twice, here's something i found on the web....i know some of these suggestions work, as i have successfully used them...otoh, if a dog 'means business', you best be armed or very fast...lol! reb

How to Avoid Dog Attacks.

* Avoid going onto private property unless specifically invited.
* Do not run when confronted with a threatening dog. Running only stimulates the dog to increase its aggression.
* Hold your ground and demonstrate moderate dominance by telling the dog firmly to go home. This usually works wonders. Firmly saying "no" and "sit" may also work.
* Avoid direct eye contact, which the dog interprets as a challenge. Instead, appear nonchalant.
* When the dog begins to back away, slowly retreat also, keeping the dog in view without paying much attention to it. If the dog begins to come back, stop and wait until it moves off again.
* Do not try to outdistance the dog on a bicycle. Stop, dismount and stand with the bicycle between you and the dog. Without something to chase, the dog may lose interest.
* Do not try to pet a strange, free-roaming dog.
* Never attempt to touch or pet a dog that is eating or sleeping.
* Do not be embarrassed to jump on a car, climb a tree, or call for help if you are threatened.
* Do not be embarrassed to ask a dog owner to restrain the dog until it clearly recognizes you as a friend.
* Avoid any encounters with guard-trained dogs. Find out if any are patrolling before you walk in a new area.
* Report all aggressive loose dogs or incidents of actual bites.
* Keep still and try to remain calm. Do not scream or run. (J. Michael Cornwell, DVM, advises children to "be a tree," with feet together, elbows against your chest and hands under your neck.)
* Glance at the dog so you know where it is, but don't stare it in the eyes.
* Don't turn your back on the barking animal.
* Let the dog sniff you. In most cases, it will leave as soon as it realizes that you aren't really a threat.
* Speak to the dog only in a calm voice. You might try: "Go away," "Go home" or "Nice dog."
* Wait until the dog leaves, then slowly back away until it's out of sight.
* As a last resort, throw or pretend to throw an object at an aggressive dog.
* If attacked, "feed" the dog something else--your jacket, bike, purse, books--to distract it.
* If knocked down, curl into a ball, and use your hands to protect your head and neck.
* Seek immediate medical attention for dog bites. All bites should also be reported to the police or animal-control department.

Gary L. Clemons, DVM
reb

Location : next to the women on this board so they know where i'm at

Back to top Go down

preventing dog attacks Empty Re: preventing dog attacks

Post by Justin Passing Tue May 20, 2008 3:42 pm

Sounds like good advice Reb. Personally, I haven't had much trouble with dogs since I was little and realized that I had the right to fight back when dogs threatened me. Now I don't worry much about dogs unless they're physically capable of overpowering me. Some are, like pitbulls & other breeds with "no necks", but most aren't. They may bite me, but I can still break their necks and/or rip their legs off if I have to. Teeth simply aren't a match for hands unless the dog is quite strong & solidly built, and most dogs have limited flexibility & rather vulnerable necks.
Justin Passing
Justin Passing
Admin

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum