The HSP Dimension: Expressions of Highly Sensitive People
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Who likes candles?

+4
lula may
BlueEyes
SimplyNan
BlueTopaz
8 posters

Go down

Who likes candles? Empty Who likes candles?

Post by BlueTopaz Sun Nov 09, 2008 4:47 pm

And why?
I like them sometimes. Not damn floral ones though. They give me a headache.
I have maybe, maybe eight pumpkin spice candles burning in the house right now.
I'm picky about smells.
And one custard apple pie candle is burning, just thrown in for good measure.
And believe me, I have all the windows open to share the good smells with the neighbors. headbang

Anyone else burn candles or incense or anything else because they are OC about smells????? laughing

The DH and I went to a restaurant this morning and the after church ladies were coming in. One came in and I could smell the perfume five tables away.

That just bugs me.

~~~~~~ironic juxtaposition of ideas big grin
BlueTopaz
BlueTopaz

Back to top Go down

Who likes candles? Empty Re: Who likes candles?

Post by SimplyNan Sun Nov 09, 2008 5:22 pm

I like candles but haven't really put any out for a while. Usually when I buy scented candles, I sniff them first. Some of the scents give me headaches, too. They create a totally cool atmosphere, though.
SimplyNan
SimplyNan

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueEyes Sun Nov 09, 2008 6:56 pm

I find candlelight to be very relaxing and enjoyable. And yes, I too try to avoid the flowery or heavy scented ones due to headaches and usually buy and use the unscented candles for that reason. However, now that I am single once more, I pretty much light candles mostly when the power goes out... which it tends to do a lot here in the winter. It might be nice to start using them again.

I do enjoy my incense also but only mellow subtle scents. My favorite is called One Love... hopefully I will be able to find more it it somewhere. It has a rather sensuous scent and brings back some wonderful memories. I love you

I am quite sensitive to most perfumes too... a lot of times I will be driven out of a place from some lady using too much. freakout I don't wear much perfume myself but when I do it is usually a touch of Ciara.
BlueEyes
BlueEyes

Back to top Go down

Post by lula may Sun Nov 09, 2008 7:18 pm

I like it all. Well, not ALL, I like what I like-is that a fair answer? I love candles and incense and perfume, as long as they aren't the gross ones. Totally subjective-but it's the best I can do.

Ooh! also, the oil burners-those are awesome. Tobacco flower from the body shop is my favorite. It doesn't smell like tobacco or a flower. I have no clue why it's called that now that I think of it.
lula may
lula may

Back to top Go down

Post by melodiccolor Sun Nov 09, 2008 11:26 pm

I am sensitive to perfumes and artificial fragrances. Natural oils and extracts though can be quite nice and in a candle is enjoyable. The ambiance is nice too. I find if I add a drop of an extract to the candle, I can enjoy its scent. A drop on a light bulb works too.
melodiccolor
melodiccolor
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Melania Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:54 pm

Yes yes yes to candles! Especially lately, for some odd reason. I'm also particular about the scents, and try to buy soy or beeswax with natural oils... but I don't stick to that all of the time. And like others here, I also enjoy incense.

Oh and yes, I also have a reaction to people (usually women) wearing strong perfumes/colognes... ugh! It's very unpleasant, and sometimes I sneeze. The same is true with a lot of cleaning products. However, I can usually handle strong scents if they're natural (although not always).
Melania
Melania

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueTopaz Tue Nov 11, 2008 6:05 am

My original post was a little silly. Very Happy
Although I do have about eight candles in the house now, pumpkin and apple pie. But I didn't really open the windows to share the aroma with the neighbors. (They probably couldn't smell it anyway) but to enjoy the chance to have some fresh air instead of AC (in Florida I've been trapped in the AC for months).

I do like essential oils too. I have a diffuser. I'm very HSP about smells. Earlier this year I went into the hospital for aspiration pneumonia and I couldn't be around any perfume for a couple of months. Now I can and I enjoy some.

Curious, someone mentioned Ciara. I used to wear that! It is very nice. What do people wear... both men and women. I wear a different perfume during the spring and summer than what I wear during the fall and winter. Right now (fall and winter) I'm wearing Halston. In the spring and summer I wear White Shoulders. Both are perfumes that have been around for a while.

I also like to burn different candles/use essential oils for different times of the year. In October I start burning the pumpkin and apple pies. During the spring and summer I like fruit smells like lemon, grapefruit, melon or fresh clean smells. Sometimes I'll find a candle called "fresh linen" or "seabreeze" that is nice. During Christmas I like bayberry or pine.
BlueTopaz
BlueTopaz

Back to top Go down

Post by Luna Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:13 pm

I'm totally into scented candles and incense! Some would say I'm a bit of an addict hehe. I don't like ones that are too overpowering and I can't stand chemical or artificial types. My absolute favourite incense is nag champa...the smell of it just makes me instantly relaxed. I really like vanilla and lavender scented candles. I like the "Christmas" scented ones too.
Luna
Luna

Back to top Go down

Post by adain Wed Nov 12, 2008 4:43 am

Me!
adain
adain

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum