The HSP Dimension: Expressions of Highly Sensitive People
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

My Favorite Episode Is.......

+2
Reamsie
BlueTopaz
6 posters

Go down

My Favorite Episode Is....... Empty My Favorite Episode Is.......

Post by BlueTopaz Sat Aug 23, 2008 7:15 pm

State a show, tell your favorite episode and tell why:

Doctor Who: so far--- heh heh haven't really caught up on all of them, so I'm sure there are better ones out there for me to see. Even with all that said, this is going to be hard but I think Turn Left.
ANd here is a really stupid reason. I liked the music. No, not really. I did like the music, but that's not the reason. I think "reset button" episodes are interesting if they are done well. ANd this particular one was. Another excellent "reset button" episode is Enterprise's Twilight.
Most of the time people find Reset button eppies irritating. Remember the entire season of Dallas that was all just a dream? This one has all the great elements of the reset button---- essential characters die, things seem to go horribly wrong, if the viewer doesn't suspect there is going to be a reset "fix" they start getting very nervous. Maybe the resolution is a little predictable: time travel, but the show is about a time lord. What really sells it is that Catherine Tate is such a good actress. She is just obnoxious enough to be endearing.
I also love to watch the devolution of a culture. This episode is very post-apocalyptic. I also love those kinds of stories. How do we survive if it all goes to KaKa.
A lot of favorite elements in one eppy.
BlueTopaz
BlueTopaz

Back to top Go down

My Favorite Episode Is....... Empty Re: My Favorite Episode Is.......

Post by Reamsie Sat Aug 23, 2008 7:34 pm

Let's see. Favorite episode. Well I guess I have to start with Doctor Who. From season 3--Blink. David Tennant is not even in most of this episode, but it takes something ordinary, that we all have to do (blink) and makes it a dangerous life or death issue. I love it when a writer uses this.
Reamsie
Reamsie

Back to top Go down

Post by melodiccolor Sat Aug 23, 2008 7:59 pm

It doesn't matter. If I love the series, I can't pick just one favorite episode. I love too many of them. This is very true for all the years of Dr. Who. I can tell you which parts I like least, but not one particular episode, any more than I can tell which I like best.
melodiccolor
melodiccolor
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueTopaz Sat Aug 23, 2008 8:14 pm

Well then pick another show Mel.
BlueTopaz
BlueTopaz

Back to top Go down

Post by melodiccolor Sat Aug 23, 2008 8:21 pm

It's true for all shows that I love....I just enjoy it all way too much. I guess part of it is I think of individual episodes like the chapters in a book; pieces of a larger whole.

Heck even a great show with a very limited run like FireFly or Dead Like Me is all like one whole book. I cannot pick just one episode.
melodiccolor
melodiccolor
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueTopaz Sat Aug 23, 2008 8:24 pm

Yeah, well, pick one you liked a lot and discuss.... chuckle
BlueTopaz
BlueTopaz

Back to top Go down

Post by Reamsie Sat Aug 23, 2008 8:35 pm

Oooh, Firefly. Favorite episode "Our Mrs. Reynolds". Where Mal unknowingly gets a wife in payment for a job. The whole episode is funny, but my favorite line:

Shepard Book: "If you take sexual advantage of her, you're going to burn in a very special level of hell. A level they reserve for child molesters and people who talk at the theater."
Reamsie
Reamsie

Back to top Go down

Post by melodiccolor Sat Aug 23, 2008 8:50 pm

Okay, I really liked that episode too as well as the one where they meet up again and try to steal a relic from her current husband.

For Dr. Who, a recent one that comes to mind is the Fatipose episode as well as the Library 2 episode story.

But again, they are not favorites. I can list a whole lot more I liked just as well.

Such as the story where the Dr. just transforms into DT and the attacking Christmas Tree scene. big grin
melodiccolor
melodiccolor
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jack_bristow Sat Aug 23, 2008 8:57 pm

The New Outer Limits: Tribunal - it's an episode that addresses concentration camps, and it does so with dignity and pain. Dedicated to the father of the episode's director, who died in a Nazi concentration camp. Had my crying my eyes out in the end.

Star Trek: Next Generation: Inner Light: Picard lives a lifetime on another planet where civilization died a long time ago, through the memories of its inhabitants. It's their only way of staying remembered. In the end they leave him a flute, the same one he had in his "memory experience". Another bawler.

Firefly: Out of Gas: The ship suffers an irreparable problem. The episode starts with a drop of Mal's blood falling down on a metallic vent. He's on the ship alone, severely wounded. That is the present. The present is intermingled with flashbacks from the near-past that lead to this situation, as well as flashbacks from a far past when he was just getting his crew together. Masterfully put together, this episode is poetry in motion. The last shot, of Mal turning away from the chatty salesman adjacent to a fancy ship, and gazing at Firefly, is perfect.
jack_bristow
jack_bristow

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueTopaz Sat Aug 23, 2008 9:05 pm

Well Mel, I can totally relate to what you are saying when it comes to Star Trek. There is no way I could pick one episode from any of the incarnations as my favorite.
But I will discuss one I liked. From Star Trek The Next Generation I liked the episode The Offspring.

In that story, Data constructs another android like himself and calls it his child. He allows it to choose its gender, name, etc. It chose to be a female named Lal.
I liked this episode because:
1. Data
2. Data
3. It addressed the rights of a sentient being (a classic ST theme)
4. The girl android was cute (not like that, like my daughter cute.) To elaborate, the first time I saw this episode, my daughter was a little girl. The fact that data was teaching, guiding and trying to hold on to his daughter resonated with me. Lal was sweet and innocent, like my daughter.
5. It was so poignant. As an hsp the end when she is thanking Data for all the experiences he has shown her, well, I'm welling up just thinking about it.

As a funny aside, they were playing this episode at the convention in Vegas at the star trek themed restaurant they have at the Hilton. I stopped and watched it and my husband said, you better come on before you start crying.
BlueTopaz
BlueTopaz

Back to top Go down

Post by melodiccolor Sat Aug 23, 2008 9:19 pm

Yeah, "The Offspring" is one of my top favorites too. As is "Inner Light".

You see my dilemna, just too many brilliant episodes of first rate shows.
melodiccolor
melodiccolor
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by waterdragon7 Sun Aug 24, 2008 1:43 am

The Objects in Space episode of Firefly, due to the connection with philosopher, Jean-Paul Sartre.
waterdragon7
waterdragon7

Back to top Go down

Post by adain Sun Aug 24, 2008 4:56 am

Wow, a few fire fly fans here, Yeah!
My favourite episode of Dr Who, would happened to be Girl in the Fire Place. I don't know why, but I cried.
Dead like me was a great series!
I liked "off spring" too, out of Next Gen.
Roswell, my favorite episode is when future Max comes back to warn Liz about some thing, mostly because future Max is very lust worthy.
adain
adain

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum