The HSP Dimension: Expressions of Highly Sensitive People
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How far back can you remember?

+7
Logan (Earthmaiden)
Rivershine
Little Sister
Justin Passing
melodiccolor
Reamsie
Nucky
11 posters

Go down

How far back can you remember? Empty How far back can you remember?

Post by Nucky Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:12 pm

I am certain that I remember some things at least as far back as 4 years old. Some of my memories may possibly be earlier than that.
Nucky
Nucky
Admin

Back to top Go down

How far back can you remember? Empty Re: How far back can you remember?

Post by Reamsie Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:16 pm

I definately recall things from 3 and 4 years of age. Some with great detail, some are just like impressions, sounds, smells, colors, etc.
Reamsie
Reamsie

Back to top Go down

Post by melodiccolor Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:17 pm

Earliest clear memory was from about 16 months of age and several from 2 years on.
melodiccolor
melodiccolor
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nucky Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:32 am

Come to think of it, I'm certain I can remember a few things from when I was 3. I lived in Beverly (a neighborhood in Chicago) until I was 4, and there are quite a few things I remember from that era that I can't put a date on.
Nucky
Nucky
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Justin Passing Tue Aug 12, 2008 3:20 am

I've got some memories back to around 18 months or so, although I'm not sure of exactly how old I was. Old enough to run, wobble, and fall down a lot without being able to speak. They're rather strange, quite illuminating, and a lot of fun. But last winter I managed to dredge up some memories that had to be from my first few weeks of life, possibly even my first week. It's rather odd to reconnect with what I was thinking/feeling/being at so young an age. Very odd indeed.
Justin Passing
Justin Passing
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Little Sister Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:05 am

I remember things clearly from about 25 months on, and I have a few memories of things that must have occurred earlier. (I use 25 months because our family moved at that time)

It's interesting that Justin can remember things that happened before he had words, because I've wondered if our ability to remember isn't somehow connected to our linguistic ability. But then, again, like Adain pointed out in the gifted thread, some people are visual-spatial learners, and perhaps these people have visual memories, unconnected to words.
Little Sister
Little Sister

Back to top Go down

Post by Justin Passing Tue Aug 12, 2008 3:29 pm

That "wordless" aspect of my early memories is one of the odd things about them Little Sister. I've become so dependent on language that freeing myself from it's constraints is very odd. I'm not terribly visual, but there's an analogous "something" that's like a "non-visual visual" that seems to be present. I find it quite difficult to retain such things in my normal consciousness, but I'm working on it.

It seems to me that a very vital part of myself is hidden in there. Attempting to make my normal consciousness less dependent on language seems like a very important key to me. There's huge parts of me, including many important aspects of my day to day life, that are "locked away" behind that door.
Justin Passing
Justin Passing
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by melodiccolor Tue Aug 12, 2008 3:39 pm

It is an interesting thought, that for many people, memory is dependent on language. I do happen to be a visual spatial learner and when I look inward, I discover that most of my memories are visual, rather than lingual. But I also have memories from input from all senses and other sources.
melodiccolor
melodiccolor
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rivershine Tue Aug 12, 2008 3:47 pm

My earliest memories are from when I was a baby. I remember being at the age of not being able to sit up all the way, and I also remember my crib. Damn thing. I was always getting my legs caught all the way up to my upper thigh. And it was the square kind of bars on it, so it really hurt at times. I definitely remember not being able to talk.

I think one of my early memories are of me watching the dust motes dancing in the sunlight coming from a window.
Rivershine
Rivershine

Back to top Go down

Post by Logan (Earthmaiden) Tue Aug 12, 2008 5:57 pm

But last winter I managed to dredge up some memories that had to be from my first few weeks of life, possibly even my first week. It's rather odd to reconnect with what I was thinking/feeling/being at so young an age. Very odd indeed

I'd really be interested in hearing what memories you've recalled from that early age Justin. I find it incredible that so many here recall things from such an early time in life.
Logan (Earthmaiden)

Back to top Go down

Post by lula may Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:37 pm

I have lots three and on.

Before that it's pretty much just the time I ate a pepper off a plant at a store, I thought it was candy corn. Yikes! It was like fire. I know I went completely insane.

My Dad couldn't believe I remembered that incident. I think he said I was around two then. He laughed and laughed at how bad I freaked out, when I brought it up. My lips swelled up and I kept going nuts every time I saw myself in the mirror. It was like I thought I was going to be permanently transformed to fish-girl. I guess it couldn't have been that traumatic because I love spicy food now.

Actually, I made myself go fish-girl again at the street fair a couple years ago. Habanero sauce on corn. Yum. But also, oww. Clearly, I learned nothing. Except that candy corn doesn't grow on trees.
lula may
lula may

Back to top Go down

Post by SimplyNan Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:43 pm

I remember something from when I was still in a crib -- I had pulled myself up and was looking and wanting to go outside really bad. Outside of that, I don't remember much until I was about 4, when my youngest brother was born. My other brother and I were dropped off by some neighbors, they were older and had a big collie. I thought that was the coolest dog.
SimplyNan
SimplyNan

Back to top Go down

Post by melodiccolor Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:51 pm

This is not the earliest memory, which is hard to explain, but it is one of my earliest. I was in another room of the small 2 bedroom apt. I grew up in while my parents were in the living room with several friends. I was looking at an abc book with silly little stories about the letters. I was maybe 26 months old. All of a sudden, something clicked in my mind and I had a major AHA moment. I could read the word "turquoise" and within a few seconds, the rest of the words on the page. I found I could read the entire book.

Excited, I ran out into the living room. I remember this sea of knees; the couch cushions being just above eye level. "Mommy, mommy" I said, "I can read, I can read turkelois!" ( I couldn't pronounce turquoise). My mom just said "That's nice dear, now go and play." I felt let down, but there was nothing to do about it, so I went to the other room and looked at some more books.
melodiccolor
melodiccolor
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Justin Passing Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:16 pm

One of the odd things about my early memories is the fact that, while I ignored what people were saying for the most part, I knew everything about them and what was going on. I knew what they were feeling, and I understood what they were talking about. They were all clear as glass - clearer than they are now in fact. I was ignorant about a lot of things in this world, and the body I'd somehow become entangled in was rather infuriating & bizarre, but I knew people. I've known them from at least the moment I was born.

The other thing that seems clear is that I didn't start then. This life was new, but I wasn't. From my perspective as a newly born infant, living was merely a new location. It was as if I'd just passed through a one-way door, or bought a ticket on a cruise liner in order to take a trip.
Justin Passing
Justin Passing
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rivershine Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:20 pm

Justin Passing wrote:
The other thing that seems clear is that I didn't start then. This life was new, but I wasn't. From my perspective as a newly born infant, living was merely a new location. It was as if I'd just passed through a one-way door, or bought a ticket on a cruise liner in order to take a trip.

Same here. When I was very little, before the age of 4, I had the distinct feeling that I had just come from someplace. That this life wasn't the beginning for me. It's made me think about reincarnation.
Rivershine
Rivershine

Back to top Go down

Post by Nucky Wed Aug 13, 2008 1:40 am

Most of my early memories are visual. Many of my early audio memories are distorted, I remember "The Logical Song" by Supertramp sounding very different on the car radio from how it actually sounds, but I know today that's what I was hearing.
Nucky
Nucky
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Justin Passing Wed Aug 13, 2008 3:21 am

That's quite curious Nucky. Distorted how? Do you have any idea why your early memories feature distorted audio?
Justin Passing
Justin Passing
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nucky Wed Aug 13, 2008 3:36 am

The organ had more of a dronish quality to it, with longer notes. Maybe it was the way it was stored into my memory, I'm not sure why my early audio memories are distorted.
Nucky
Nucky
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by waterdragon7 Wed Aug 13, 2008 6:30 am

From 1956/1957 onward. Cool Shocked Cool
waterdragon7
waterdragon7

Back to top Go down

Post by adain Wed Aug 13, 2008 7:23 am

I'm not sure if my early memories are actual memories...except one with my dad in it...I know that ones real. When you were younger, did you feel your emotions?
adain
adain

Back to top Go down

Post by Little Sister Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:56 am

Actually, now that you mention it, I do have some very early memories that aren't connected to language, vision, or hearing, but more vague impressions. In particular, while I remember a woman named Suzy, who cared for me as an infant while my parents worked. While I can no longer picture her, or remember her voice, I simply have a sense about her, that she was a warm, loving woman and cared for me as if I were her own. I imagine she cuddled quite a bit, and I suspect she sang to me, because there are certain songs that evoke a deeper than usual kind of response.

Jess, I was fascinated by dust motes, too! I also remember standing up in my crib, and rattling it to help me scoot across the floor, because I wanted to get a better look at my baby brother who slept in another crib in the same room.

Melodiccolor, you must have been such a smart little cutie pouring over your books. Turkeloise. Very Happy
Yes, I loved my bookies, too. I don't think I actually read them, as much as recited the verses by rote. Poetry books were my favorites. And I was very drawn to the pictures. I'd create stories about what was happening in each one.

Adain, Yes, of course, I remember emotionally charged events most of all. Excitement, wonder and amazement, joy and delight, humor, and terrible melt-downs over "traumas." (Parents might call them tantrums. Wink )
Little Sister
Little Sister

Back to top Go down

Post by melodiccolor Wed Aug 13, 2008 1:14 pm

Adain, the emotional memories are the clearest ones of all, especially from the time before I was 2 years old.

Little Sister, those are some amazing memories from so far back!

Jess, come to think of it; I remember enjoying dust motes dancing in the sunlight too.
melodiccolor
melodiccolor
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rivershine Thu Aug 14, 2008 1:36 am

melodiccolor wrote:
Jess, come to think of it; I remember enjoying dust motes dancing in the sunlight too.

I still enjoy watching them. Very Happy
Rivershine
Rivershine

Back to top Go down

Post by Nucky Thu Aug 14, 2008 1:46 am

INFP that's me wrote:
melodiccolor wrote:

Me too.
Nucky
Nucky
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Justin Passing Thu Aug 14, 2008 1:53 am

nuckinfutz wrote:
INFP that's me wrote:
melodiccolor wrote:

Me too.
Me three! Very Happy
Justin Passing
Justin Passing
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by adain Thu Aug 14, 2008 4:57 am

I guess because I was like emotional antenna (still am to be truthful), I picked up on everyone else emotions around me all the time, but I guess I couldn't sort out mine from other people's. I literally had to work out what I should be feeling in certain situations. I was very detached in a way, and I did respond very strangely sometimes, because I was mirroring other people's feelings.
adain
adain

Back to top Go down

Post by melodiccolor Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:58 pm

No wonder you fit in so perfectly with us all. (Remember the chatbox...) big grin
melodiccolor
melodiccolor
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum