The HSP Dimension: Expressions of Highly Sensitive People
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I despise grammar pedants and a response to one of them (rant)

2 posters

Go down

I despise grammar pedants and a response to one of them (rant) Empty I despise grammar pedants and a response to one of them (rant)

Post by Strawberry Banana Sundae Sun Jan 21, 2024 8:39 am

I absolutely LOATHE the presence of grammar pedants, you know the people who constantly lecture you over your vocabulary and sentences and b**** over how you’re doing it all wrong. For example:

““I love you, but I can’t be with you.”
Classic line! Girl, no, you don’t love him. If you loved him, you would be with him. What she’s trying to do here is soften the blow. In this situation, both statements are assumed to be true by both parties. This leaves a lot of ambiguity. As an exercise, replace the word ‘but’ with ‘and’ then re-evaluate the meaning of the statement.
“I love you and I can’t be with you”
Now we’re getting somewhere. By using ‘and’ instead of ‘but,’ the first clause of the sentence isn’t minimized. Both clauses are equal in value. The speaker is now being more clear. Perhaps when these clauses are equal in value, the statement doesn’t really convey what she wants to her loser boyfriend. Maybe by using ‘and,’ the ‘I love you’ is too meaningful.
“I used to love you, and now I don’t. I can’t be with you anymore.”
Much better. She figured out that, when she didn’t minimize the ‘I love you’ with the ‘but,’ she wasn’t conveying the message she needed to. She felt the need to say it originally because some feelings still exist — because she used to love the person. But there is no need to say it now. Now, instead of sounding passive-aggressive and unsure, she sounds like an adult who is aware of her emotions, and who is respecting the person she is breaking up with. It may be harsh, it’s unambiguous. Each party knows where they stand.”

This is annoying because the person using these lines is only trying to be honest and she’s only just beginning her sentence. God lady, give the girl a break! Then she complains over how she is being childish and “passive-aggressive” for using the word “but” because it apparently is such a terrible thing to be used and it is often used so “wrong”. Which is funny, the lady who thought writing this was a good idea, because the only person I see who is acting childish and passive-aggressive is YOU! Oh the irony!

Another example:

“”I’m sorry you feel that way, but __________”
“I’m sorry for what I did, but _________”
“I’m sorry my words hurt you, but _________”
Heck no, they’re not actually sorry. In this ‘fill in the blank’ format, it is easy to see this. In the heat of the moment, it may not be so clear. No matter the situation, the word “but” negates the apology. What it actually says is:
“I’m saying sorry because it is socially required by me to do so but — deep down — I believe that I am correct and not in the wrong. Because I am human, I can’t keep myself from vocalizing my opinions even though it is unnecessary in this case.”
The best way to apologize is just to do it, and not follow it with anything. If you desperately feel the need to use a ‘but,’ trying saying the apology with an “and” instead. Then you’ll realize that you either a) sound ridiculous or b) help you to re-evaluate the situation and craft a more truthful apology.”

Stop right there, lady. A truthful apology is NOT simple as you love to make it out to be. You are clearly trying to twist the entire premise of these types of apologies into making it sound completely ridiculous and biased. I don’t give a s*** if the person uses an apology with the word “but” followed afterwards because those who do use it are far more well-meaning in comparison to those who tend to derive it all in favor of their agenda. Which is even more hilarious insisting that she even bothered to pull up a “translation” of the statement to demonize people who are just trying to spit it out (i.e. introverts, people with dyslexia, uneducated adults). I wouldn’t be surprised if she made that whole thing up just to make herself look intelligent (when it clearly doesn’t).

“Somehow, we’ve fallen into the habit of apologizing when apologies aren’t needed.
“I’m sorry, but that’s not going to work.”
Pointing out a fact doesn’t need to be an apology. For some reason, ‘I’m sorry’ is used as polite fluff to soften a negative statement. Find other polite fluff! Or don’t use any, and instead point out positive specifics and encourage finding another solution.”

Wow, if you are really THIS upset over someone using apologies that you find unnecessary, that’s a you problem. And seriously? Polite fluff? Who the hell even says that? Now you’re just making random s*** up.

““If you were wounded by my observation/words about <thing they are apologizing for>, as <insert unnecessary detail about situation>, then I am sorry. However, I do believe that <insert grand statement about larger world issue present that supports their earlier hurtful words they are supposedly apologizing for>.”
This is just one fine example of a fancy version of the ‘but’ apology. This doozy combines an if/then statement and throws in a ‘however!’ It even adds a distracting sentence at the end. Fancy stuff. Recognize that this apology means nothing, and that the person who said it isn’t primarily interested in apologizing.”

No, lady, your bs statement means nothing. Someone is simply trying to explain their case only for you to moan over the smallest of details. And now you’re accusing the person using this phrase of being “fancy”, are you f***ing kidding me?! And to add to cherry on top of the pile of bs, you now claim that it’s “distracting”. Stfu lady, the only thing distracting here is you wasting everyone’s time by complaining over a person’s word and sentence usage! And don’t act like you’re not a royal of the grammar pedant kingdom!

“Think about the order of your phrases. Using a positive phrase AFTER the ‘but’ is always better. For example:
“That wasn’t the ideal outcome, but I know we’ll do better next time.”
“Working with the other team has been frustrating and difficult, but we are coming up with a better way for our teams to communicate and work together more smoothly.”
“I was totally out of my comfort zone but I also had a really good time.”

lol you seriously contradict your own previous statements by then claiming that using “but” to begin positive statements is ALWAYS much better! What is this, a toxic positivity revolution? You’re clearly saying that it derives everything from before when using the word “but” whenever something negative comes at the end, yet it’s totally fine when it’s positive. BRUH!!

Like f*** off, I’m not going to practice gratitude just to please your pedantry of a brain! If you state you make mistakes as well, then don’t act like you’re above everyone else just because you call yourself a pedant!

In short, i cannot stand grammar pedants. They act like they’re special and smart when they’re really not, and make up bs excuses just to act like total d***s to other people. Like leave us alone for god’s sake! And btw, I made “bad” grammar on my post on purpose, #NotSorry! Rant over.

Keep in mind is just my personal opinion and experience.
Strawberry Banana Sundae
Strawberry Banana Sundae

Back to top Go down

I despise grammar pedants and a response to one of them (rant) Empty Re: I despise grammar pedants and a response to one of them (rant)

Post by Alethia Sun Jan 21, 2024 6:00 pm

Geez you get pissed over sooo much. Lol

Go for it!

It’s better out than in..
Alethia
Alethia

Strawberry Banana Sundae likes this post

Back to top Go down