The HSP Dimension: Expressions of Highly Sensitive People
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Superfoods

3 posters

Go down

Superfoods Empty Superfoods

Post by lm8 Sat Aug 21, 2021 4:55 pm

While "super" foods might be a bit of an exaggeration, foods can affect health and some foods may affect some people more than others. Foods can have helpful properties. They can be antiflammatory or antihistimine or give you energy or calm you down. So, I'd like to open this for people to mention some of their favorite superfoods. Would love to hear if you know of any unusual foods with healthy properties that might be often overlooked.

I'll name some of my favorites. Turmeric has anti-inflammatory properties and can be as effective as taking a NSAID in some cases. Blueberries have antihistimine properties. Found out about kelp at one of the health food stores. It's a great snack and nice to add salads, plus it's healthy. Probiotics like kefir and yogurt can do a lot for health and improve your gut microbiome. They can even effect mood. I've read chia is helpful for endurance and running long distances. Barbados cherries have enough Vitamin C in one cherry to meet the RDA requirements for the day. I've been hearing some interesting things about dandelion and sometimes see it at vegetable stands now. Are there any interesting plants you can grow in your garden or forage that can be good for health? What foods help you most?
lm8
lm8

Grasshopper likes this post

Back to top Go down

Superfoods Empty Re: Superfoods

Post by Alethia Mon Aug 30, 2021 5:16 am

Hello.

I eat most of those things you have mentioned.

I’m mostly plant based vegetarian so I eat lots of legumes, nuts and fruit and veggies.

I add Maca powder and green powder to smoothies occasionally.
Alethia
Alethia

Back to top Go down

Post by melodiccolor Mon Aug 30, 2021 3:38 pm

It's turning out all leafy greens are superfoods, including swiss chard, spinach, loose leaf lettuce. I too eat a very wide variety of foods, striving to get full nutrition from my diet. I am sensitive to bitter foods so I tend to avoid those so I was quite happy to learn less bitter greens and vegetables are just as healthful. I love plain organic yogurt and use it in so many things. Whole grains; legumes; seeds? Yes please! I've always loved kelp and nuts as well.
melodiccolor
melodiccolor
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by lm8 Sun Sep 05, 2021 10:56 am

melodiccolor wrote:I am sensitive to bitter foods so I tend to avoid those so I was quite happy to learn less bitter greens and vegetables are just as healthful.

I am too, although it seems to get easier to tolerate as I get old. Which vegetables do you find less bitter. I know carrots are considered one of the sweetest vegetables. I like head lettuce. People seem to give it a bad wrap and say it's not nutritious, but it's supposed to have anti-cancer properties. I love cucumbers. Plants I grow myself such as parsley usually aren't too bitter. Seaweed seems fine. Which other vegetables or foods do you find less bitter?
lm8
lm8

Back to top Go down

Post by melodiccolor Sun Sep 05, 2021 1:46 pm

lm8 wrote:
melodiccolor wrote:I am sensitive to bitter foods so I tend to avoid those so I was quite happy to learn less bitter greens and vegetables are just as healthful.

I am too, although it seems to get easier to tolerate as I get old.  Which vegetables do you find less bitter.  I know carrots are considered one of the sweetest vegetables.  I like head lettuce.  People seem to give it a bad wrap and say it's not nutritious, but it's supposed to have anti-cancer properties.  I love cucumbers.  Plants I grow myself such as parsley usually aren't too bitter.  Seaweed seems fine.  Which other vegetables or foods do you find less bitter?
All that you mentioned, plus fresh spinach, swiss chard and bok choy, especially after a light frost, squash of various kinds, cabbage, broccoli, lambs quarters, water cress, parsnips and jicima. Those are just the ones that come to mind. Loose leaf lettuce varieties actually are of very high nutritional value.

My bitter sensitivity hasn't lessened a bit with age.
melodiccolor
melodiccolor
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum