The HSP Dimension: Expressions of Highly Sensitive People
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The DukePad DIY tablet computer

2 posters

Go down

The DukePad DIY tablet computer Empty The DukePad DIY tablet computer

Post by waterdragon7 Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:11 pm

Link with more info: http://m.androidauthority.com/oracle-dukepad-tablet-277688/

Why would you want one? Well, as the USB wifi adapter can be easily changed, it
could make it quite difficult for commercial entities to follow your web-surfing
around the 'Net!
waterdragon7
waterdragon7

Back to top Go down

The DukePad DIY tablet computer Empty Re: The DukePad DIY tablet computer

Post by melodiccolor Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:25 pm

How would it make that difficult? Does that hide your isp?
melodiccolor
melodiccolor
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by waterdragon7 Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:54 pm

melodiccolor wrote:How would it make that difficult?  Does that hide your isp?  
No, it doesn't hide your ISP. However, if you purchase three or more wifi adapters and swap them out once per week, or even once per day the wifi address logged by websites will change as the adapters change.

But I still would not use such a tablet at home. In my case, there is free wifi provided in the downtown area of a bordering city, which is roughly a 15-minute bus ride from home.

The above, however, is not my primary concern. Amazon, Apple, Facebook, Google, Microsoft, Twitter and others all want you to associate an email address and password with either their hardware, their services, or both. A DIY tablet allows the option of choosing some version of the Linux OS which will allow you to surf the web without ever needing to provide an email address at all. Which, especially considering the past behavior of, say, Facebook re: personal privacy, I'm starting to view as a necessity!
waterdragon7
waterdragon7

Back to top Go down

Post by melodiccolor Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:22 am

Given what FB and others are doing, I'd agree. But public wi-fi is about the most insecure way to go....
melodiccolor
melodiccolor
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by waterdragon7 Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:36 am

Oh, I forgot to explain, no logging-on to any service or using anything linked to an email account at all on public wifi. Only at home on my regular tablet for those. Moot, for now, as I don't have all the parts for a DIY tablet yet. The whole point, at least for me, is to web surf while destroying, to the greatest degree possible, the ability of commercial entities to track you across the 'Net!

waterdragon7
waterdragon7

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum