The HSP Dimension: Expressions of Highly Sensitive People
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Music for HSPs?

+2
Alethia
António
6 posters

Go down

Music for HSPs? Empty Music for HSPs?

Post by António Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:48 am

Hello! What music do you usually like? I tend to hear more smooth and calm music. To me music is often used as a retreat, mainly in the busy and overhelming days when I feel exhausted.

I have a quite different musical taste than everyone else my age (I'm 26), so I usually am not very open when somebody asks me about it. I honestly fear to be labelled "weird".

I mainly hear Phil Collins, Norah Jones, Simon and Garfunkel, Vangelis, The Beatles, Beegees, ABBA, Michael Jackson, Bryan Ferry, Roxy Music, Chicago, Fleetwood Mac, The Cars etc. All in all I prefer soft and soothing music and, as you see, I only seem to find such in older music from the 70s and the 80s, with some rare exceptions...
António
António

Back to top Go down

Music for HSPs? Empty Re: Music for HSPs?

Post by Alethia Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:45 pm

Hi there Antonio.

Music is something many hsp love...and often its so wide and varied in taste that not one genre fits. I like most of what you have mentioned, inclusive of much more.

I listen to almost anything that appeals..my latest is a native american indian compilation, which is soothing and centering for me at the moment.
Alethia
Alethia

Back to top Go down

Post by melodiccolor Fri Sep 06, 2013 4:01 pm

Hi there. My tastes too are wide and varied. Growing up, they were atypical of others my age as I liked everything from classical to international folk, flamenco, folk, easy rock and more. Over the years the areas I enjoyed have expanded greatly. I tend to not like rap, hip hop or distorted loud discordant sounds but many HSP enjoy those too.
melodiccolor
melodiccolor
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Reamsie Sat Sep 07, 2013 7:26 am

Hello Antonio.  I love music, my tastes cover a wide variety.  Individual songs more so than particular genres speak to me.  So I like stuff from Rob Zombie to Rogers and Hammerstein. Very Happy   

Just so you know everyone has a time in their life where they feel like everybody else will think they are weird.  Its ok.
Reamsie
Reamsie

Back to top Go down

Post by bosharpe Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:17 pm

I like to listen to all sorts and am always looking to widen my palette. David Bowie, System of a Down, Oasis, Oliver Messian, Nick Drake, Iggy Pop, The Stone Roses, Gogol Bordello, Jay-Z, Dr Dre, Rachmaninoff, The Beatles, Kasabian, Lady Gaga, Lana Del Ray, Dead Can Dance, Mumford and Sons. The list goes on.

All that taste expanding aside I think I'm longing for some beautiful, upbeat and soulful music in reality. Leftfield and recently BB King! Music that feeds the soul and makes you feel good which when it boils down to it matters most. BB especially. I put him on low volume in the background while I'm working and he works his magic.

My dad is from Iran so I find traditional Iranian music very beautiful too. The instruments and singing are amazing.
bosharpe
bosharpe

Back to top Go down

Post by melodiccolor Sun Sep 08, 2013 2:56 pm

Bosharpe, I am interested in hearing some of traditional Iranian music, as I do like international folk and traditional music of all kinds. Would you post an example here?
melodiccolor
melodiccolor
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by bosharpe Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:24 am

I'm not actually sure what a lot of the artists are called. My dad's got lots of cassette tapes with various musicians on and not many CDs.

I found this example from a good album here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwGBrp_uMlw

Have you heard of Afro Celt Sound System & Dead Can Dance?
bosharpe
bosharpe

Back to top Go down

Post by melodiccolor Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:58 pm

No, I am unfamiliar with those.

The link you posted is interesting, listening now.  I'll use it to find more and explore.  Ancient music is always fun to explore.

Exploring more, I found this really nice one:

melodiccolor
melodiccolor
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by bosharpe Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:37 pm

Wow, yeah! really like that. Very beautiful.

Afro Celt Sound System:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjdvRrZ_nEU

Dead Can Dance:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpMNXEY_tio

Balkan Beat Box:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWmM9OcrAbc

Mr Scruff:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HamLxGxeDqI

Two albums I haven't got around to listening to yet are Am by the Arctic Monkeys and The Next Day by David Bowie. Highly anticipating those will be good!

bosharpe
bosharpe

Back to top Go down

Post by melodiccolor Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:55 pm

I'm listening to Afro Celt now;  I really like this one.  It's very much in my range as I do listen to quite a bit of Celtic music too.  Will be listening to them all.  mrgreen music

Dead Can Dance I really like too. Looks like we have tastes that overlap quite a bit.
melodiccolor
melodiccolor
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by bosharpe Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:01 pm

Awesome. Yeah it's good stuff. Always reminds me of rain, freshness and Scotland lol - where my mum's family are from. Saw Afro Celt, Mr Scruff & Balkan BB all at the same festival one year called Wychwood. It's a family orientated weekend with some good acts usually. I hadn't heard of them before then.

If you've got any Celtic music you could post that would be great too.
Always love introducing people to new music and being introduced.
bosharpe
bosharpe

Back to top Go down

Post by melodiccolor Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:29 pm

melodiccolor
melodiccolor
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by bosharpe Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:01 am

Feel really refreshed after a long listening session. Thank you for sharing!
bosharpe
bosharpe

Back to top Go down

Post by peterxi Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:15 pm

Music rejuvenates me, almost as good as a valium. My self-esteem soared and I feel light hearted. The greatest effect is that it make me connect with myself, one with universe. But soft music can make me sink and think of all the sad things. Music is a luxury, addictive, it make me escape the world.
peterxi
peterxi

Back to top Go down

Post by bosharpe Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:16 am

Life without music would be a sad thing. I'm reminded of this sometimes when I'm lifted up out of my frame of mind.
bosharpe
bosharpe

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum