The HSP Dimension: Expressions of Highly Sensitive People
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fitch Please!

3 posters

Go down

Fitch Please! Empty Fitch Please!

Post by Reamsie Wed May 22, 2013 8:14 am

I have no idea why I even started this thread, (other than the fact I find it highly amusing) but since It seems to be all over the internet anyway, refusing to die, I thought I would share. Once again proof that what you say can and probably will live forever on the internet to come back to bite you in the ass. Very Happy

You can Google any myriad of articles regarding this so I'm not going to link. Long story short in a 2006 interview given by Abercrombie & Fitch CEO Mike Jeffries (who was apparently very hungry considering he managed to stick not only his foot, but his entire lower leg up to the knee in his mouth) with Salon Magazine he stated :

"In every school there are the cool and popular kids, and then there are the not-so-cool kids," he says. "Candidly, we go after the cool kids. We go after the attractive all-American kid with a great attitude and a lot of friends. A lot of people don't belong [in our clothes], and they can't belong. Are we exclusionary? Absolutely."

It should be noted that Abercrombie & Fitch DOES NOT sell clothing for women larger than size L or size 10 of course this double standard does not apply to men's clothing. Since there are a lot of what I'm sure Mr. Jeffries would consider "uncool" kids that can actually wear his clothes we can only infer that he actually means "women over a size 10". Ironic considering, as some helpful souls have pointed out, Mr. Jeffries (who apparently does not own a mirror) looks like "old Biff" from Back to the Future.

Fortunately, I gave birth to children who wouldn't be caught dead in what they refer to as "douche-bag" clothing. Very Happy To actually get around to the point though - gee, it must have been a slow news week for someone to decide to resurrect a seven year old article. And color me not shocked but REALLY? We want to profess outrage that the marketing strategy of a clothing brand is *gasp* exclusionary? Only geared toward supposed "beautiful" people? I though basically they all try to do that. The sin that Mark Jeffries made is being blatant about it. So everyone is chiming in, you can find any number of articles and commentaries condemning this whole matter. Good grief I just wasted 20 minutes of my life writing this . . . well played AF, well played. Twisted Evil

Yea, I know all the psychology about damaging kids view of their bodies, looks and self-worth . . but in the end AF is only one of many guilty of this. All the articles and the protest vidoes etc. are all fine and good, but the real way to show disapproval or protest - If you have kids, teach them that what they wear isn't what makes them cool and, now this is a really radical idea so brace yourself WHETHER OR NOT YOU HAVE KIDS DON'T SPEND YOUR MONEY AT ABERCROMBIE & FITCH.
Reamsie
Reamsie

Back to top Go down

Fitch Please! Empty Re: Fitch Please!

Post by Zen Wed May 22, 2013 7:59 pm

lol Good thing everybody knows the "cool kids" are the ones who end up pregnant and drop out of highschool or on drugs or something half the time.

Can't be good strategy for long term business to purposely exclude the majority of the people who ought to be your long term clients since I'd guess like 90% of kids are considered" noncool" by popular media and stereotypical standards.

LOL their parents should be happy too because that store was always overpriced for mediocre clothes.
Zen
Zen

Back to top Go down

Post by tezorian Wed May 22, 2013 8:02 pm

i wanted to reply with your quote Reamsie, but it's already there ^_^
tezorian
tezorian
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Zen Sat May 25, 2013 8:00 pm

Guess what:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/05/24/abercrombie-sales-ceo-controversy_n_3332601.html?icid=maing-grid7|main5|dl28|sec1_lnk3%26pLid%3D318546

Looks like they figured out the cool kids aren't enough to support their company lol.
Zen
Zen

Back to top Go down

Post by Reamsie Sat May 25, 2013 9:22 pm

It isn't even an apology though.

Jeffries said that he "seriously regrets" that his "choice of words was interpreted in a manner that has caused offense."

So basically, sorry YOU were offended, not sorry I'm a total tool and I was wrong.
Reamsie
Reamsie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum