The HSP Dimension: Expressions of Highly Sensitive People
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Supertasters

4 posters

Go down

Supertasters Empty Supertasters

Post by melodiccolor Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:57 pm

People who taste too much.

Not all supertasters are HSP (and not all HSP are supertasters) but for those of us who are, this is what it can be like. The statement in the article that supertasters tend to be lean is based on a very limited study and my personal experience of knowing supertasters seems to contradict this--that is they vary as much as everyone else that way. Still there is some interesting information here.
melodiccolor
melodiccolor
Admin

Back to top Go down

Supertasters Empty Re: Supertasters

Post by Samt03 Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:53 pm

MMk, so after reading that, I'm not a supertaster, apparently I have a normal taste range cause I like leafy greens... Ignoring I can taste any chemicals in drinks, and can identify with no problem if someone even bakes with/cooks with fake sugar crap, can pick up as soon as foods begin to spoil based on flavor before other peoples, and stuffs like that?

Woot I'm normal?
Samt03
Samt03

https://www.amazon.com/author/showndraridge

Back to top Go down

Post by melodiccolor Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:09 pm

No, I'd say you are a super taster. Not all leafy greens are bitter. I am a super taster as well, very sensitive to bitter tastes. But there are ways of cooking bitter greens to take the bitter out, plus if they're harvested after a frost, many will loose much of their bitter flavor.

I find that the combination of being hsp plus a supertaster is a real advantage. My body tells me what it wants on several levels and then I really enjoy it.
melodiccolor
melodiccolor
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluedream Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:24 am

Hmmm...don't know if I'm a super taster..but I do like to taste!
Interesting...
not to digress [sorry] it also made me instantly think of this wonderful movie clip of 'tasting' from 'hereafter'. Very well done...i'd say.
Peace...
https://youtu.be/zys43lpv-8I
Bluedream
Bluedream

Back to top Go down

Post by melodiccolor Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:54 pm

Yes, that clip sure fits. Blind tastings are fun. popcorn
melodiccolor
melodiccolor
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RBM Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:44 pm

Samt03 wrote:MMk, so after reading that, I'm not a supertaster, apparently I have a normal taste range cause I like leafy greens... Ignoring I can taste any chemicals in drinks, and can identify with no problem if someone even bakes with/cooks with fake sugar crap, can pick up as soon as foods begin to spoil based on flavor before other peoples, and stuffs like that?

Woot I'm normal?

Out of curiosity, what's an example of such ?

If you are a US resident, to you then, 'real' sugar:

Wiki wrote:Sugar is the generalised name for a class of chemically-related sweet-flavored substances, most of which are used as food. They are carbohydrates, composed of carbon, hydrogen and oxygen. There are various types of sugar derived from different sources. Simple sugars are called monosaccharides and include glucose (also known as dextrose), fructose and galactose. The table or granulated sugar most customarily used as food is sucrose, a disaccharide (in the body, sucrose hydrolyses into fructose and glucose). Other disaccharides include maltose and lactose. Chemically-different substances may also have a sweet taste, but are not classified as sugars. Some are used as lower-calorie food substitutes for sugar described as artificial sweeteners.

The other US sweetener usually is corn syrup, specifically HFCS:

Wiki wrote:High-fructose corn syrup (HFCS)—also called glucose/fructose in Canada,[1] glucose–fructose syrup (GFS) in the EU,[2][3] and high-fructose maize syrup in other countries—comprises any of a group of corn syrups that has undergone enzymatic processing to convert some of its glucose into fructose to produce a desired sweetness.

In the United States, consumer foods and products typically use HFCS as a sweetener. It has become very common in processed foods and beverages in the U.S., including breads, cereals, breakfast bars, lunch meats, yogurts, soups, and condiments.[4]
RBM
RBM

Back to top Go down

Post by Samt03 Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:46 pm

RBM wrote:
Samt03 wrote:MMk, so after reading that, I'm not a supertaster, apparently I have a normal taste range cause I like leafy greens... Ignoring I can taste any chemicals in drinks, and can identify with no problem if someone even bakes with/cooks with fake sugar crap, can pick up as soon as foods begin to spoil based on flavor before other peoples, and stuffs like that?

Woot I'm normal?

NutraSweet tastes different from cane sugar, as does splenda. People bake with Spenda instead of regular sugar, and when they do I can pick up on the taste.

I've had sugar in the raw, which is natural as well as regular cane sugar that can be purchased in the store, all have different flavors. I assume this is what your asking?
Samt03
Samt03

Back to top Go down

Post by RBM Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:22 pm

Samt03 wrote:
RBM wrote:

Woot I'm normal?

NutraSweet tastes different from cane sugar, as does splenda. People bake with Spenda instead of regular sugar, and when they do I can pick up on the taste.

I've had sugar in the raw, which is natural as well as regular cane sugar that can be purchased in the store, all have different flavors. I assume this is what your asking?

'Natural' is just marketing, but at any rate, that's essentially what I'm asking. I don't use any of those products, per se, for specific reasons but use Stevia, of which is absent in your reply. I also use a bit of sucanat in my regular recipes.

Many years ago when I was consuming typical table sugar in my coffee, I tried Splenda and didn't care for the taste.

Thanks.
RBM
RBM

Back to top Go down

Post by Samt03 Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:01 pm

RBM wrote:
Samt03 wrote:
RBM wrote:

Woot I'm normal?

'Natural' is just marketing, but at any rate, that's essentially what I'm asking. I don't use any of those products, per se, for specific reasons but use Stevia, of which is absent in your reply. I also use a bit of sucanat in my regular recipes.

Many years ago when I was consuming typical table sugar in my coffee, I tried Splenda and didn't care for the taste.

Thanks.

And how is cane sugar not natural? It comes from a plant, is harvested, turned into a usable product and sold.

So by your meaning teas are not natural, cheese is not natural, nothing save for food I pick myself is natural?

What is natural then?
Samt03
Samt03

Back to top Go down

Post by RBM Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:47 pm

To clarify, what I meant, was that the term 'natural' has been used - and abused - resulting in an effectively meaningless term.

One has to look at all details from growth in the field, to processing in the manufacturing plant, to packaging wherever, to achieve any significant level of information.

The old saying 'What isn't said, is just as important as what is said', applies nowadays in the hyper-capitalism era.

Yeah, it's lots of work, and is one reason true grass-root local farmer-direct to markets are popping up.
RBM
RBM

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum