The HSP Dimension: Expressions of Highly Sensitive People
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Buying eyeglasses over the internet

4 posters

Go down

Buying eyeglasses over the internet Empty Buying eyeglasses over the internet

Post by waterdragon7 Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:15 am

For those interested:

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/05/05/technology/05money.html?_r=1&oref=slogin

http://www.lowendmac.com/ed/moore/08cwm/buying-eyeglasses-online.html

Looked at one site. Think it was $25.99 for single-vision and $61.99 for 'no-line' bifocals, including shipping. You have to have your prescription, of course, and I'm not sure how they go about sizing them for you.
waterdragon7
waterdragon7

Back to top Go down

Buying eyeglasses over the internet Empty Re: Buying eyeglasses over the internet

Post by melodiccolor Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:09 pm

I need my glasses fitted exactly as I were lined bifocals and the line must be just so. Also, because my prescription is so strong, they must be centered perfectly over my eyes for me to see clearly. This cannot be done online.

Let me know though how it works out for you. My computer glasses are single vision and not so strong.
melodiccolor
melodiccolor
Admin

Back to top Go down

Buying eyeglasses over the internet Empty Re: Buying eyeglasses over the internet

Post by waterdragon7 Sat Jul 26, 2008 2:55 pm

melodiccolor wrote:I need my glasses fitted exactly as I were lined bifocals and the line must be just so. Also, because my prescription is so strong, they must be centered perfectly over my eyes for me to see clearly. This cannot be done online.

Let me know though how it works out for you. My computer glasses are single vision and not so strong.
Mel, I had my eye exam this past Thursday, and I just ordered a pair of single-vision glasses online for $34.95, including shipping. This was using a coupon code I found online for $10.00 off your order. Still might cost a little more, depending if I ask for an additional coating to the lenses. Already asked in their form when I placed my order, so it could possibly be $19.95 additional. Still quite a bargain, as far as I'm concerned! As to the quality, we'll see, but everything I've read on forums related to this so far seems to be much more positive than negative.
waterdragon7
waterdragon7

Back to top Go down

Post by reb Sat Jul 26, 2008 6:25 pm

WD,

i hope so (positive). i would not buy 'noline bispokels' online, though. the lady who fitted mine put a little erasable dot right at the center of the lens, then line the frames on my face to make the dot center. if i knock somehting off or something whacks me in the face (usually limbs falling off trees), i have to go back, as the world gets 'fuzzy' when the frames get bent. i bought titanium frames; best '$/use' i ever got out of frames (walmart, 99 bucks)-2 years, they still show no wear, nothing's broke (knock on my wooden head).
r
reb

Location : next to the women on this board so they know where i'm at

Back to top Go down

Post by StrawberryLife Wed Jul 30, 2008 8:49 am

WD, did you have glasses before, or is this your 1st time?

It probably depends what you use them for, & if you need + or - (longsighted/nearsighted)... Hope they turn out well!

I would be sceptical of buying glasses online too.. mine have to be custom-made too, & sometimes tweaked/fitted lol.. (& even then there's a chance things go iffy with a new eye doc or such)
Online is probably kinda like buying them at the post office or in a general store.. If you know exactly what you need, & you just need them for reading, maybe. I think my Grandma has a pair of those, & they work sorta okay (not perfect - she also has others for other stuff..)
StrawberryLife
StrawberryLife

Back to top Go down

Post by waterdragon7 Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:03 pm

This reply is to everyone, but to SB, I've worn glasses since age twelve. I pretty much knew what I was looking for, and found frames I liked. Since the blog I ended up at had information about "the big five" companies for ordering glasses over the internet, I chose the one with the frames I liked the best - escaped having to use bifocals for at least two more years, according to the doc (optometrist).

I just received my new glasses in the mail today. Usually, the delivery is made 2-4 business days after ordering, but knowing my bizarre Rx, with one lens much more powerful than the other, I expected a much longer delivery time.

Perfect fit and perfect Rx! That's all I can say. Btw, on the blog there was a retired optician or optometrist who mentioned blanks for a lens can be as low as $2.00 each U.S., depending upon the quantity ordered at one time. He also mentioned non-designer frames might be as low as $6.00 U.S., wholesale, depending upon quantity ordered. And people complain about the oil company profits! lol!

All I can saw is I've very, very happy with this new pair! Extra Happy

Last edited by waterdragon7 on Fri Aug 08, 2008 3:11 am; edited 1 time in total
waterdragon7
waterdragon7

Back to top Go down

Post by melodiccolor Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:02 am

I'm glad it worked so well for you. btw, I don't think it is that unusual to have different lense stregnths for different eyes. I always have and have noticed others do to.
melodiccolor
melodiccolor
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by StrawberryLife Sat Aug 09, 2008 8:34 am

Wow, that's awesome that it worked so well for you WD!!

I guess if there are optometrists & such involved, it can be easier to get a decent fit...

Can you post or PM a link to that blog & any most relevant website/s, WD? (which one did you get them from?)

Yeah, I have slightly different measurings for each eye too, & have worn glasses since I was 10 or so...

I've given the articles & a few websites a look & it seems interesting.. The trick is to measure your best & most comfy glasses & entering the info into search, & having a good & valid prescription... Then I guess it's the same as going to the 'RL store'.. (I had troubles finding good frames there too.. hmm..) tried www.goggles4u.com & couldn't find an exact copy of my fav glasses there yet Smile yes I do have a bit odd measurements lol!! (selections look pretty much like in a RL store lol)
I looked at www.optical4less.com too & so far haven't been able to find my exact measurements & wishes either... lol I have a quirky head!!! Smile
They do have the options to ask for a special frame or something, so I might go & ask, just for fun! (maybe with the pic of my fav frame.. the 2 recent frames give me headache & I really love my old frame, but don't see so clearly with the lenses lol!)
StrawberryLife
StrawberryLife

Back to top Go down

Post by waterdragon7 Sat Aug 09, 2008 10:36 am

StrawberryLife wrote:...Can you post or PM a link to that blog & any most relevant website/s, WD? (which one did you get them from?)...
SB, I'll post the info here just in case anyone else is also interested. Forgot to mention you will need something called the PD (distance, in mm, from the center of one pupil to the center of the other pupil). Not always on your Rx, but it will be if you ask. Anyway, the blog:

http://glassyeyes.blogspot.com/

and the company in New York state I ordered from (one of the "Big Five," as described at the blog:

http://www.39dollarglasses.com

and one page of many pages of frames from which I chose the frame, Prague:

http://www.39dollarglasses.com/12000.html

Didn't find any frames named Zagreb, Split, or Adriatic. At least none that I liked. Smile clown tongue
waterdragon7
waterdragon7

Back to top Go down

Post by StrawberryLife Sun Aug 10, 2008 5:21 pm

waterdragon7 wrote:Didn't find any frames named Zagreb, Split, or Adriatic. At least none that I liked. Smile clown tongue
lol Thanks, WD Smile

I'll check that out too... I'm thinking of doing the better-eyesight-without-glasses exercises again, but in the absence of that working, I may still resort to cheaper & better glasses - if I find them! Ha!
just found Mom has a quirky nose too, & needs glasses-adjustment everytime too, so it's partly inherited lol
I do love my nose & wouldn't dream of an operation, but it makes choosing & finding glasses that 'work' a bit, uhm, challenging? Smile lol

On the other hand, I may have just found a new cool name for a blog, lol Smile
StrawberryLife
StrawberryLife

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down