The HSP Dimension: Expressions of Highly Sensitive People
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Removing mold from walls environmentally friendly way?

+2
SimplyNan
StrawberryLife
6 posters

Go down

Removing mold from walls environmentally friendly way? Empty Removing mold from walls environmentally friendly way?

Post by StrawberryLife Tue Jul 15, 2008 3:37 pm

Has anyone tried to yet?

I Googled up a few Slovenian sites that recommend either 'pure'(high %) alcohol, or 3% salicil acid + 97% alcohol... (someone actially tried 2% salicil acid on a forum..) Mom has tried the alcohol, & it does work & rub it off...

So tomorrow we'll get some more 'pure alcohol' & rub it off... Then Dad plans to just paint over it.. (Unfortunately he doesn't want to use lime as I would prefer..)

Any other suggestions?
StrawberryLife
StrawberryLife

Back to top Go down

Removing mold from walls environmentally friendly way? Empty Re: Removing mold from walls environmentally friendly way?

Post by StrawberryLife Fri Jul 18, 2008 8:49 pm

Well, it seems y'all have scared away from this topic lol

Anyway, Mum & I tried it, & scrubbed mold from walls with alcohol!! (uhm, it even kinda rhymes, lol!! Smile)

But, I will kid you not - it is kinda a lengthy & boring (& tedious) undertaking... Mum did most work & I asked her how she didn't just give up on it & use the 'poison'!! lol

Anyway, we 'allowed' Dad to put the anti-mold paint in the 'worst' corners... & just usual paint over the rest... We'll see how it goes from there..

I still wish we could use the good old-fashioned lime - there was NO mold on walls when lime was used!! (& if I ever have own place - house or flat, I hope I'll be able to use that!!)

But with the paint that has been used before, the lime would not 'stick'...
(That much for progress, lol!!)
Still putting things back in order, but 'the worst' is over... (hopefully!!)
StrawberryLife
StrawberryLife

Back to top Go down

Removing mold from walls environmentally friendly way? Empty Re: Removing mold from walls environmentally friendly way?

Post by SimplyNan Fri Jul 18, 2008 9:17 pm

check out this website and see if it helps you at all

http://www.doityourself.com/scat/moldmildewc

Mold is not something to mess with because it can really mess up one's health.
SimplyNan
SimplyNan

Back to top Go down

Post by reb Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:54 pm

SB,

drink the alchohol, immigrate to the u.s., the government will feed you all. lol!

seriously, mold is a nasty thing. i use trisodium phosphate (prior to painting) or 'kilz' which is available as a paint in gallon cans here. it is not voc friendly, though. environmentally, if you really want to be friendly, you live with the mold, as it is naturally occurring...Smile black fuzzy walls are kinda goth...i like the image Smile
reb
reb

Location : next to the women on this board so they know where i'm at

Back to top Go down

Post by StrawberryLife Tue Jul 22, 2008 6:03 pm

Nan, thanks for the site!! It looks really helpful!! Smile

Reb, would you drink 97% alcohol? OoO (Not sure if it's 97% or 93% or whatever, but it's higher than vodka, I bet!! Smile)

I won't immigrate to US cause you don't want me there, remember? Smile
Unless you marry me & give me your billions in the prenup! mrgreen /Oops, Nigerian mafia kidnapped Strawberry & posing as Strawberry!! lol/ Shocked affraid

Yeah, mold is a nasty thing.
Will google up the iffy-sounding things Smile They sound even more dangerous that what my Dad had bought (& not dared to use/was banned to use by Mom)

I wonder if anyone still uses lime to paint walls with, nowadays...(?)
Mom said there was no mold on the walls when they were painted with lime.. (Only a bit on the floor..) When more 'modern' paints got used - voila! the problem... (other people have reported of this on slovenian forums) sometimes 'newer' isn't necessarily 'better'...
/Of course the solution of paint factories was to sell an additional product with 'mold remover'.. OoO/
StrawberryLife
StrawberryLife

Back to top Go down

Post by Logan (Earthmaiden) Tue Jul 22, 2008 6:32 pm

Is this kind of mold common where you're at Lady Strawberry? What causes it? You too Reb. What's with all the mold anyhow?
Logan (Earthmaiden)

Back to top Go down

Post by reb Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:41 pm

SB, if it's a stone house, fill it with some fuel, burn the fuel, move back in after it cools off. Smile

ah, you know i don't believe you've been kidnapped....but these posts lately....they ahve been a little strange...which mafia, again???
lol!
r
reb

Location : next to the women on this board so they know where i'm at

Back to top Go down

Post by melodiccolor Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:20 pm

Merlin, there are all kinds of molds. Some are incredibly toxic and they are a huge problem in warm humid climates, or wherever there is water. They are a fact of nature and almost everyone has to deal with it sooner or later.
melodiccolor
melodiccolor
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Logan (Earthmaiden) Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:42 pm

YUK!!
Logan (Earthmaiden)

Back to top Go down

Post by StrawberryLife Thu Jul 24, 2008 12:56 pm

Yeah, Merlin, exactly - it's the new 'real estate scare', apparently! It's been around for ages, but only recently it's been discovered or more talked about the fact that some strands can be dangerous.. Nan's links are very hepful with regard to this (understanding the whole phenomena Smile)

Also, as newer products started to be more widely used - which includes new paints & windows that better 'seal' houses (old drafts & lime paint successfully helped prevent mold!Smile) there has been an increase in this..
If there is no natural ventilation &/or there is excessive humidity (like from cooking or drying clothes on a rack in living room), & furniture is too close to the wall.. these are factors that create conditions where mold can 'grow'...

Also, some houses are made in a bad way, either materials or architecture is bad & helps mold grow too.. Often, there is a combination of factors. Ideally, causes for mold would be prevented, but that's not exactly possible always, so one must 'make do' with solutions such as described above...
StrawberryLife
StrawberryLife

Back to top Go down

Post by jaded Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:10 am

I noticed while I was in Florida, if the maid didn't clean the bathroom daily in our hotel, mold grew immediately in the tub area. I have asthma. My allergies were crazy while I was there.
jaded
jaded

Back to top Go down

Post by melodiccolor Thu Jul 31, 2008 3:59 pm

Now that's humid!!! Where I live, it's much dryer, so I have a hard time conceiving of mold growing anywhere near that fast. That would drive anyone's allergies crazy if there was a mold component to them.
melodiccolor
melodiccolor
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum