The HSP Dimension: Expressions of Highly Sensitive People
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Remeber SOPA and PIPA?

+3
RBM
melodiccolor
Samt03
7 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Remeber SOPA and PIPA? - Page 3 Empty Re: Remeber SOPA and PIPA?

Post by Samt03 Tue May 06, 2014 11:37 pm

http://www.engadget.com/2014/05/06/nstic-government-internet-id/

I had issues getting to that url from another site so let me know if it doesn't work from here.

Pretty much the basis is everyone will have a id that can be used for any gov website, the other thing though is that id is issued to your computer/you log into it before you get online as it sounds, so log into your id once every site you go to is logged into automatically. Sounds fun and all but it gives a great big open back door to the NSA and anyone else to track everything you do, and since it is 100% your id as you in they know what each person does online (can't hide behind proxy or saying someone else in your household did it.)
Samt03
Samt03

https://www.amazon.com/author/showndraridge

Back to top Go down

Post by Zen Wed May 07, 2014 1:50 am

Samt03 wrote:http://www.engadget.com/2014/05/06/nstic-government-internet-id/

I had issues getting to that url from another site so let me know if it doesn't work from here.

Pretty much the basis is everyone will have a id that can be used for any gov website, the other thing though is that id is issued to your computer/you log into it before you get online as it sounds, so log into your id once every site you go to is logged into automatically.  Sounds fun and all but it gives a great big open back door to the NSA and anyone else to track everything you do, and since it is 100% your id as you in they know what each person does online (can't hide behind proxy or saying someone else in your household did it.)

sounds like they're using it like IP searching just instead of the chance of proxies and dynamic IPs it's your computer's number forever.
Will be interesting to see how effective this is, since IPs have their limits and can be encrypted and whatnot.
Plus there's quite a few people who own multiple electronic devices.
It may not just be NSA and gov tracking but any website and especially those with a large scale mod/customer service system.
Might be a double sided sword. Easier to hunt down hacker rings and large scale fraud as well as pedos and psycho trolls and other criminals on the internet yet another way for average users to get tracked by government/the powers that be and thus whoever has illegit access to the tools used to track users.

I bet what it is, is ultimately a way to track file sharing and pirating though and try to get that under control of big business...
My guess is that'll be what it's used for firstly, copyright crap paranoia.
May not effect the average person all that much unless they download and stream tons of stuff on a regular basis.
Gov can already track you pretty well with IP and mac address and that jazz.
least, I assume if basic mod tools can, government can 10 times better.
Zen
Zen

Back to top Go down

Post by melodiccolor Wed May 07, 2014 5:03 pm

Not sure if that news story has credibility, as it doesn't state the source and I've seen not much else about it. If it is true, it's a two edge sword; it can prevent things like fraud and identity theft, but it can so easily be abused too, loss of rights in the same of safety. Still, the lack of detail and just the claim makes me think this is a wait and see kind of thing.

On another matter, a broad grass roots coalition is working to restore rights: New Movement Aims to ‘Reset the Net’ Against Mass Surveillance (link)
melodiccolor
melodiccolor
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Zen Wed May 07, 2014 7:04 pm

melodiccolor wrote:Not sure if that news story has credibility, as it doesn't state the source and I've seen not much else about it.  If it is true, it's a two edge sword;  it can prevent things like fraud and identity theft, but it can so easily be abused too, loss of rights in the same of safety.  Still, the lack of detail and just the claim makes me think this is a wait and see kind of thing.

On another matter, a broad grass roots coalition is working to restore rights:  New Movement Aims to ‘Reset the Net’ Against Mass Surveillance (link)

I'm not really sure that's gonna work because the people with the best spy tools are the host companies supporting your web features.
regardless if the NSA is hacking, they could still just get the information through purchase or whatever.

Zen
Zen

Back to top Go down

Post by melodiccolor Wed May 07, 2014 7:45 pm

Zen wrote:
melodiccolor wrote:Not sure if that news story has credibility, as it doesn't state the source and I've seen not much else about it.  If it is true, it's a two edge sword;  it can prevent things like fraud and identity theft, but it can so easily be abused too, loss of rights in the same of safety.  Still, the lack of detail and just the claim makes me think this is a wait and see kind of thing.

On another matter, a broad grass roots coalition is working to restore rights:  New Movement Aims to ‘Reset the Net’ Against Mass Surveillance (link)

I'm not really sure that's gonna work because the people with the best spy tools are the host companies supporting your web features.
regardless if the NSA is hacking, they could still just get the information through purchase or whatever.

I do know the movement against surveillance includes an uprising against it by private sources too; the ACLU and other groups are working on that. I am supporting all efforts.
melodiccolor
melodiccolor
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RBM Thu May 08, 2014 5:27 pm

Zen wrote:

Whether it 'works' or not, it has value in that there is no mistake that surveillance is unacceptable. And from the other side of the coin is, it's definitely not apathy, which is progress as far as the US electorate, goes.

I support any and all non-violent pushback.
RBM
RBM

Back to top Go down

Post by melodiccolor Thu May 22, 2014 3:41 pm

One way to maintain privacy....

Remeber SOPA and PIPA? - Page 3 2014-05-22-(questionable-advice)

Suspect
melodiccolor
melodiccolor
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by melodiccolor Thu May 29, 2014 4:07 pm

Privacy is Not Dead—It's Inevitable (link)

A great overview of where we are now and what needs to happen now.
melodiccolor
melodiccolor
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by melodiccolor Fri May 30, 2014 3:57 pm

Congress Blocks the NSA From Meddling With Encryption Standards. Finally (link)

This will make the net much more secure as those who would hack company security and site security will have a much harder time. The NSA had been working to weaken encryption standards so it could hack in whenever it wanted. This made it easier for everyone else to too.
melodiccolor
melodiccolor
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RBM Fri May 30, 2014 7:25 pm

melodiccolor wrote:Congress Blocks the NSA From Meddling With Encryption Standards. Finally (link)

This will make the net much more secure as those who would hack company security and site security will have a much harder time.  The NSA had been working to weaken encryption standards so it could hack in whenever it wanted.  This made it easier for everyone else to too.

It'll take a lot more of this before I'll call it good.

By the way NBS/Brian Williams has a interview with Snowden: Link.
RBM
RBM

Back to top Go down

Post by melodiccolor Fri May 30, 2014 7:36 pm

No matter what Snowden says, he will be villianized by those who feel threatened by what he did.

This is a polarizing case where the full truth will remain unknown and each side will present the view favorable to themselves. Still Snowden did us a favor and exposed a lot of abuse that our government really wanted to keep forever hidden.

Indeed, but it is an important start.
melodiccolor
melodiccolor
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RBM Fri May 30, 2014 7:53 pm

melodiccolor wrote:No matter what Snowden says, he will be villianized by those who feel threatened by what he did.

This is a polarizing case where the full truth will remain unknown and each side will present the view favorable to themselves.  Still Snowden did us a favor and exposed a lot of abuse that our government really wanted to keep forever hidden.

Indeed, but it is an important start.

FEAR. the quick picker upper - to hate.

It's the ole' tip o' iceberg, problem. So, waiting for ... more ...
RBM
RBM

Back to top Go down

Remeber SOPA and PIPA? - Page 3 Empty A brand new internet?

Post by melodiccolor Sun Jun 01, 2014 2:57 pm

These Guys Are Creating A Whole New Internet Using Bitcoin And They Are Having Surprising Success (link) This is still in the beta stage, but my feeling is this is where the internet will go to survive and thrive; systems like this.
melodiccolor
melodiccolor
Admin

Back to top Go down

Remeber SOPA and PIPA? - Page 3 Empty Snowden, one year later

Post by melodiccolor Thu Jun 05, 2014 3:55 pm

Snowden wrote:It’s been one year.

Technology has been a liberating force in our lives. It allows us to create and share the experiences that make us human, effortlessly. But in secret, our very own government—one bound by the Constitution and its Bill of Rights—has reverse-engineered something beautiful into a tool of mass surveillance and oppression. The government right now can easily monitor whom you call, whom you associate with, what you read, what you buy, and where you go online and offline, and they do it to all of us, all the time.

Today, our most intimate private records are being indiscriminately seized in secret, without regard for whether we are actually suspected of wrongdoing. When these capabilities fall into the wrong hands, they can destroy the very freedoms that technology should be nurturing, not extinguishing. Surveillance, without regard to the rule of law or our basic human dignity, creates societies that fear free expression and dissent, the very values that make America strong.

In the long, dark shadow cast by the security state, a free society cannot thrive.

That’s why one year ago I brought evidence of these irresponsible activities to the public—to spark the very discussion the U.S. government didn’t want the American people to have. With every revelation, more and more light coursed through a National Security Agency that had grown too comfortable operating in the dark and without public consent. Soon incredible things began occurring that would have been unimaginable years ago. A federal judge in open court called an NSA mass surveillance program likely unconstitutional and “almost Orwellian.” Congress and President Obama have called for an end to the dragnet collection of the intimate details of our lives. Today legislation to begin rolling back the surveillance state is moving in Congress after more than a decade of impasse.

I am humbled by our collective successes so far. When the Guardian and The Washington Post began reporting on the NSA’s project to make privacy a thing of the past, I worried the risks I took to get the public the information it deserved would be met with collective indifference.

One year later, I realize that my fears were unwarranted.

Americans, like you, still believe the Constitution is the highest law of the land, which cannot be violated in secret in the name of a false security. Some say I’m a man without a country, but that’s not true. America has always been an ideal, and though I’m far away, I’ve never felt as connected to it as I do now, watching the necessary debate unfold as I hoped it would. America, after all, is always at our fingertips; that is the power of the Internet.

But now it’s time to keep the momentum for serious reform going so the conversation does not die prematurely.

Only then will we get the legislative reform that truly reins in the NSA and puts the government back in its constitutional place. Only then will we get the secure technologies we need to communicate without fear that silently in the background, our very own government is collecting, collating, and crunching the data that allows unelected bureaucrats to intrude into our most private spaces, analyzing our hopes and fears. Until then, every American who jealously guards their rights must do their best to engage in digital self-defense and proactively protect their electronic devices and communications. Every step we can take to secure ourselves from a government that no longer respects our privacy is a patriotic act.

We’ve come a long way, but there’s more to be done.

Edward J. Snowden, American
melodiccolor
melodiccolor
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RBM Sun Jun 08, 2014 8:54 am

I'm on Part 2 of Frontline's show, United States Of Secrets, and have finished Part 1.

It's excellent.

For those reading HSP's threads like this one, you will find the show much more comprehensive. In addition it keeps a tight timeline to the actual chronology of the events.

I recommend it.
RBM
RBM

Back to top Go down

Remeber SOPA and PIPA? - Page 3 Empty Private internet cops using coercion

Post by melodiccolor Thu Jun 12, 2014 3:37 pm

“You could be liable for $150k in penalties—settle instead for $20 per song” (link)

Future ambitions

That murky legal landscape hasn't stopped both ISPs and content industries from thriving. Yet it's also made room for one attempt after another at leveraging copyright law into for-profit Internet policing schemes. Rightscorp is merely the latest incarnation.

In the future, the company hopes to get more ISPs to comply—and it will expect more of those that are already cooperating, said Steele. Ultimately, Rightscorp is hoping for a scenario in which the repeat infringers it identifies aren't just notified by e-mail. Instead, Steele hopes to see those users re-directed to a Rightscorp notice right at the moment they open their Web browsers.

"You wouldn't be able to get around the re-direct page, and you'd have to pay a fine to return to browsing," he explained. The company is in discussions with four ISPs about imposing such a re-direct page, according to Steele. But the details about which ISPs cooperate with Rightscorp, and how much they cooperate, is a secret that the company guards closely.

The reality is, Rightscorp is a tiny company seeking to change the behavior of industry behemoths like Comcast and Verizon. And while it seeks to wield a "big stick" in the form of a potential copyright lawsuit, at the end of the day, it's the company's music industry customers who would have to take such a bold step.
Basically murky law is allowing private profiteers to use coercion and fear to make people pay fines that may or may not hold up in court. I guess such efforts were inevitable.

All of it from SOPA and PIPPA onward has been about profits.... and controlling content and stifling competition.
melodiccolor
melodiccolor
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RBM Tue Jun 17, 2014 5:08 pm

Related; From the Courts, Thrown Out Of Court -

Two recent U.S. Supreme Court rulings—AT&T Mobility v. Concepcion and American Express v. Italian Colors—have deeply undercut these centuries-old public rights, by empowering businesses to avoid any threat of private lawsuits or class actions. The decisions culminate a thirty-year trend during which the judiciary, including initially some prominent liberal jurists, has moved to eliminate courts as a means for ordinary Americans to uphold their rights against companies. The result is a world where corporations can evade accountability and effectively skirt swaths of law, pushing their growing power over their consumers and employees past a tipping point.

To understand this new legal environment, consider, by contrast, what would have happened if Amazon had exposed its 215 million customer accounts to a security breach similar to Target’s. Since Amazon has taken advantage of the Court’s recent decisions, even Amazon users whose bank accounts were wiped clean as a direct result of the hack would not be able to take the company to court. “The lawsuits against Target would almost certainly not be possible against Amazon,” says Paul Bland, executive director of Public Justice. “It’s got its ‘vaccination against legal accountability’ here.”
RBM
RBM

Back to top Go down

Post by melodiccolor Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:05 pm

The greatest damage here isn’t to us as individuals. “Mandatory arbitration is a basic threat to our democracy,” says Deepak Gupta, who argued the 2011 AT&T case before the Supreme Court. “This isn’t about us all getting our $30 checks when a company has ripped us off. It’s about laws that Congress passes being enforceable. The Supreme Court is allowing corporations to overturn law made by people we elect.”

Diverting all cases to arbitration also promotes a culture of impunity, enabling wrongdoers to more easily continue their wrongdoing. And when the threat of litigation is strong, it discourages corporations from engaging in misconduct in the first place. By contrast, says Ed Mierzwinski, consumer program director at the U.S. Public Interest Research Group, “[t]he use of forced arbitration clauses has essentially immunized corporate America from any responsibility for its actions.” In the same way that the Justice Department’s decision to fine banks rather than prosecute executives encourages financial institutions to build in penalties as a cost of business, arbitration incentivizes companies to write down settlement awards as a routine cost, while perpetuating harms at large.

Public officials say they cannot fill the void created by the drop-off in private suits. “We cannot bring every case. No state has ever had or will have enough resources to supplant the role that private-action attorneys have,” said Brauch from the Iowa attorney general’s office. The proliferation of binding arbitration means that “state laws are basically being gutted,” he said.

By enabling companies to keep their wrongdoing secret, arbitration chokes off information vital to the public. Consider the long course of anti-tobacco company litigation and how it ultimately affected policy. Individual plaintiffs filed over 800 suits against tobacco companies between 1954 and 1994, bringing reams of internal documents into the public domain. Although the companies overwhelmingly prevailed in the private actions, the information the suits unsealed eventually emboldened forty-six states to file their own cases, culminating in a $206 billion settlement that also imposed sweeping changes across the industry.

If people harmed by tobacco companies had been forced to arbitrate their cases, there’s a good chance the public today wouldn’t know how tobacco companies maneuvered to make cigarettes more addictive and to hide their lethal health effects. More recently, details on how Bank of America, JP Morgan, and other financial institutions wrongfully seized people’s homes in the wake of the subprime mortgage bust also emerged out of a case brought by a private lawyer.

What will become of all this depends on whether Congress chooses to act. Last year Minnesota Senator Al Franken and Georgia Representative Hank Johnson reintroduced the Arbitration Fairness Act, which would prohibit mandatory arbitration in employment, consumer, civil rights, and antitrust disputes. Lawmakers have been floating a version of the bill for seven years. Even its supporters admit that—given the level of opposition from the Chamber of Commerce and other business interests—it is unlikely to pass anytime soon.

If Congress doesn’t act, though, core legislation that Americans have won through decades-long fights for a more just society—including minimum-wage laws, bans on racial discrimination, and checks on monopolies—is greatly imperiled. The outcome will go to the heart of whether laws function as a check on corporate power in an era where the weight and reach of that power have grown immensely. Unless we seize back our right to courts, these other rights will exist only in name.

Essentially all the rights won by the individual since the 1890s is systematically being dismantled on the federal level, the international level, by all countries it seems.
melodiccolor
melodiccolor
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by melodiccolor Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:33 pm

An aside; apparently not even the NSA and other security dept. are immune from being breached: http://news.yahoo.com/hackers-steal-usernames-passwords-5-000-government-recruiters-211607534.html Suspect
melodiccolor
melodiccolor
Admin

Back to top Go down

Remeber SOPA and PIPA? - Page 3 Empty Other countries pulling similar tactics

Post by melodiccolor Fri Dec 12, 2014 4:12 pm

melodiccolor
melodiccolor
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by melodiccolor Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:59 pm

melodiccolor
melodiccolor
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3