The HSP Dimension: Expressions of Highly Sensitive People
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Verbal abuse found to be more damaging than physical abuse

5 posters

Go down

Verbal abuse found to be more damaging than physical abuse Empty Verbal abuse found to be more damaging than physical abuse

Post by Nucky Wed May 18, 2011 3:54 am

Nucky
Nucky
Admin

Back to top Go down

Verbal abuse found to be more damaging than physical abuse Empty Re: Verbal abuse found to be more damaging than physical abuse

Post by Grace Wed May 18, 2011 8:37 am

Good link, thank you!
Grace
Grace

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1184773865

Back to top Go down

Verbal abuse found to be more damaging than physical abuse Empty Re: Verbal abuse found to be more damaging than physical abuse

Post by melodiccolor Wed May 18, 2011 4:19 pm

OK, there are a few things I have to say about this. First I agree that the things we experience when young do affect how our brains are hardwired; I am not surprised at the findings.

However, I am shocked that they are still teaching that brains are permanently formed by the time we reach adulthood. Nothing could be further from the truth; indeed, I was involved in a study that proved conclusively otherwise back in graduate school in the early 80s In fact we can undo the damage done to us in childhood, heal, rewire our brains with new neural pathways. We are not doomed by the experiences of childhood, far from it. But being told we are and believing it will lock us into that pattern of vicitmization and helplessness from which there is no recovering.
melodiccolor
melodiccolor
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RBM Wed May 18, 2011 5:15 pm

RBM
RBM

Back to top Go down

Post by Alethia Wed May 18, 2011 7:22 pm

So it appears our brains are forever changing, shifting, reorganising, learning...relearning..and accomodating all the "choices" we make in the process of those things.......what an amazing organ it is..... Very Happy Anyone for brain gym...its play time!!!!!
Alethia
Alethia

Back to top Go down

Post by melodiccolor Wed May 18, 2011 7:42 pm

Alethia wrote:So it appears our brains are forever changing, shifting, reorganising, learning...relearning..and accomodating all the "choices" we make in the process of those things.......what an amazing organ it is..... Very Happy Anyone for brain gym...its play time!!!!!

So true!!! whee! beatingheart big grin sombrero
melodiccolor
melodiccolor
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down