The HSP Dimension: Expressions of Highly Sensitive People
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is it really so unreasonable to ask students to wash their hands?

2 posters

Go down

Is it really so unreasonable to ask students to wash their hands? Empty Is it really so unreasonable to ask students to wash their hands?

Post by Nucky Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:54 pm

So the lesson that kids are learning here is not to have compassion for others. This makes me sick.

Does it really take 30 minutes to wash hands? Is she on drugs? It takes me about 30 seconds, and I do everything slow.

Last edited by Nucky on Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Nucky
Nucky
Admin

Back to top Go down

Is it really so unreasonable to ask students to wash their hands? Empty Re: Is it really so unreasonable to ask students to wash their hands?

Post by frmthhrt Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:42 pm

This is a very complicated issue. As a parent of a school child that has a very picky diet, and eats a LOT of peanut butter, it REALLY annoys me that I cannot give my son a peanut butter and jam sandwich, like he wants (the only sandwich he will eat), because one child has an allergy. The needs of one child outweighs the needs of hundreds. I would rather see the one child eating in a supervised area, and hand-washing for the others after, like in the school in the video, than the extreme reaction at my son's school.
If the kids have to wash their hands three or four times a day (arrival, one or two recesses, and lunch), it could add up time wise...I'm guessing that it is done in class, under supervision, and that explains the amount of time they are talking about in the video.. Really, it's a sad situation for the other students when this has to happens but it would be better than the outright peanut ban in my son's school.
Honestly, if my son had the peanut allergy, I would educate him and not expect the rest of society to change for his sake, but I would ask that any kids with peanut in their lunches to be eating somewhere my child would not be exposed to (specifically not at tables in the classroom where they may be working), which is fine since our school has a lunchroom.
Yeah, I know everyone says it's a life and death issue...but actually any of these kids will have an epipen in case of an allergy, and are ususally well supervised, so it's not necessarily as dangerous as many argue. Two of my cousins have children with peanut allergies, and these kids learned very young not to share lunches, or eat anything that they are not sure of without parental permission.
As far as I am concerned, this is a lifelong issue, and the kids had better know from before school age what they can and cannot do. We do not force kids with bee allergies to stay indoors to protect them; we give them an epipen (we have two or three kids with bee allergies in the family as well, and they carry epipens), and they get to live normally.
This is my humble opinion...I know I'm going to get flamed, but, we have to deal with this all the time in out family, and we cope...
frmthhrt
frmthhrt

Back to top Go down

Is it really so unreasonable to ask students to wash their hands? Empty Re: Is it really so unreasonable to ask students to wash their hands?

Post by Nucky Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:00 pm

I agree that banning peanuts altogether in school is extreme and unnecessary, and that having the student with the allergy eat in a supervised area is enough. I don't see why they can't take a few minutes to have kids wash their hands though.
Nucky
Nucky
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by frmthhrt Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:09 pm

Yes, a few minutes to wash hands should be reasonable to ask. I think they just need to organize this better, and it could be less than 10 minutes a day lost.
frmthhrt
frmthhrt

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum