The HSP Dimension: Expressions of Highly Sensitive People
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Interesting added feature for a USB 2.0 flash drive

3 posters

Go down

Interesting added feature for a USB 2.0 flash drive Empty Interesting added feature for a USB 2.0 flash drive

Post by waterdragon7 Sat Apr 02, 2011 7:00 pm

I don't own one of these, and I have nothing to do with this company, but this particular product is interesting:

Padlock2

It would be an interesting place to keep copies of your tax return PDFs from your tax software, plus other sensitive data. Of course, for that, you'd need at least two of these, and preferably three. One "feature" of this item I do dislike is its non-replaceable battery.

What other uses can you think of for it? There are versions of Linux which boot from a USB flash drive and then load completely into RAM, thereby allowing you to load your computer OS and then remove the flash drive prior to web-surfing, etc. But I'm not sure if you can actually do that with this gizmo. scratch
waterdragon7
waterdragon7

Back to top Go down

Interesting added feature for a USB 2.0 flash drive Empty Re: Interesting added feature for a USB 2.0 flash drive

Post by BlueTopaz Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:04 am

Now that is cool. I'd love to have data locked on a stick, that way I wouldn't have to leave it on a wired in device that could be hacked.
You can boot an OS from a small stick like that? That is interesting. It obviously isn't anything like Windows-- LOL.
BlueTopaz
BlueTopaz

Back to top Go down

Interesting added feature for a USB 2.0 flash drive Empty Re: Interesting added feature for a USB 2.0 flash drive

Post by frmthhrt Sun Apr 03, 2011 1:45 pm

The version of Ubuntu with Firefox that I have on a USB stick takes up less than 1MB. It's a novelty for me at the moment, but it is a great way to try out Linux without committing to it, and I suspect it could be useful for an early SSD Netbook with a tiny drive...especially with something like the Peppermint Ice OS, which is a Site Specific Browser (and uses Chromium, the open source version of Google Chrome, as a browser) using web applications and cloud applications.
frmthhrt
frmthhrt

Back to top Go down

Post by waterdragon7 Sun Apr 03, 2011 3:16 pm

To both BT and frmthhrt,

This is another interesting product, though a bit different:

AegisPadlockSSD

along with these two freeware items:

Unetbootin

YUMI

I've actually used the latter to load the latest version of Puppy Linux which is all of 125 megabyt es or so for the entire OS, though I did have to download either Firefox or Opera for web surfing. Still having trouble with it saving my preferences to the stick, so will have to try Unetbootin in a few days when I'm at the old laptop I've borrowed from a relative.
waterdragon7
waterdragon7

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum